Go Back   MacRumors Forums > Archive > Wasteland

Closed Thread

Old Dec 18, 2012, 02:13 PM   #1
als88
macrumors newbie

Dropped my 5 today and want to try for a replacement

I don't have apple care plus and I got my phone a week ago, dropped it on concrete today with two scuffs, as its fairly new I'm thinking of asking apple for a replacement, anyone with experience on this? I gonna say it came out of the box like that and push my luck!
als88 is offline   0
Old Dec 18, 2012, 02:45 PM   #2
aristobrat
macrumors Demi-God

Quote:
Originally Posted by als88 View Post
anyone with experience on this? I gonna say it came out of the box like that and push my luck!
They know what iPhones with out-of-the-box scuffs look like. They see those on a regular basis.

You never know when they'll pull a random "surprise and delight" move and replace something that's not technically eligible to be replaced for free.

But to try and BS them with something as obvious as this pretty much guarantees that they won't be going out their way to help you.
aristobrat is offline   1
Old Dec 18, 2012, 02:46 PM   #3
Davejprince
macrumors regular

This is dumb, why a replacement you've caused the damage.
Really, what the.. is wrong with people.
I buy a car, I crash with it so give me a new car now.
Come on, that's not anywhere near normal.
Old Dec 18, 2012, 03:54 PM   #4
ucfgrad93
macrumors G5

Quote:
Originally Posted by aristobrat View Post
They know what iPhones with out-of-the-box scuffs look like. They see those on a regular basis.

You never know when they'll pull a random "surprise and delight" move and replace something that's not technically eligible to be replaced for free.

But to try and BS them with something as obvious as this pretty much guarantees that they won't be going out their way to help you.
Agreed. Apple has replaced plenty of things out of warranty for free, but it is at their discretion.
ucfgrad93 is offline   0
Old Dec 18, 2012, 02:51 PM   #5
SnowLeopard OSX
macrumors 6502a

Quote:
I don't have apple care plus and I got my phone a week ago, dropped it on concrete today with two scuffs, as its fairly new I'm thinking of asking apple for a replacement, anyone with experience on this? I gonna say it came out of the box like that and push my luck!
Save yourself the time, there's no way they'll exchange a dropped iPhone for a brand new one. If they know you got it a week ago, it'll be a huge red flag that you're obviously lying about getting it out of the box as such.
iPhone |4S White/16GB/ iOS 7.0|3G White/16GB iOS 8.0
SnowLeopard OSX is offline   3
Old Dec 18, 2012, 03:03 PM   #6
Gr8fulMac
macrumors newbie

Unhappy

Exactly why you should have sprung for the $99 & got applecare+. By being a total dick & trying to scam Apple into giving you a new phone when they had nothing to do with the damage, you make it harder for those of us with legit claims to get replacements. Don't be a dick!!!
Gr8fulMac is offline   1
Old Dec 18, 2012, 03:22 PM   #7
GeorgieAcevedo
macrumors 6502a

Wrong place to ask this. You're going get gangbang in this forum for this thread.
GeorgieAcevedo is offline   1
Old Dec 18, 2012, 02:24 PM   #8
ECUpirate44
Banned

No they'll laugh at you and say we see this **** everyday, stop lying. . You deserve a replacement from Apple because??
ECUpirate44 is offline   0
Old Dec 18, 2012, 02:24 PM   #9
vastoholic
macrumors 68000

Quote:
It fell on concrete with that had some water but everything works fine however there r 2 scuffs around the beZel which are noticeable, fairly new phone just a week old so I gonna try asking apple for a replacement and gonna tell them that it came like that out of the box, will that work?
Deal with it. You dropped it. Don't try and get free stuff because of your faults.

Last edited by dejo; Dec 18, 2012 at 06:59 PM. Reason: Removed name-calling.
vastoholic is offline   7
Old Dec 18, 2012, 02:31 PM   #10
Jordan921
macrumors 68030

Quote:
It fell on concrete with that had some water but everything works fine however there r 2 scuffs around the beZel which are noticeable, fairly new phone just a week old so I gonna try asking apple for a replacement and gonna tell them that it came like that out of the box, will that work?
So you dropped your phone and now you expect Apple to replace your phone for free? Lol this is comedy!! Deal with it.
Jordan921 is offline   4
Old Dec 18, 2012, 02:36 PM   #11
AFDoc
macrumors 68000

Lol you're a funny guy.
AFDoc is offline   2
Old Dec 18, 2012, 02:39 PM   #12
Brian Y
macrumors 68020

He's posted it twice, I smell trolling.
Brian Y is offline   1
Old Dec 18, 2012, 02:42 PM   #13
als88
macrumors newbie

Not trolling, I wanted to keep the phone perfect and used it naked, just kept it in a dodocase durable pouch but the phone is so damn loose in it, everything's perfect except for the scuffs it doesn't feel like new anymore!
als88 is offline   0
Old Dec 18, 2012, 02:43 PM   #14
vastoholic
macrumors 68000

Quote:
Not trolling, I wanted to keep the phone perfect and used it naked, just kept it in a dodocase durable pouch but the phone is so damn loose in it, everything's perfect except for the scuffs it doesn't feel like new anymore!
That's because it's not. The moment you took it out of the box it wasn't new anymore.
Old Dec 18, 2012, 02:47 PM   #15
MEJHarrison
macrumors 6502

Quote:
...everything's perfect except for the scuffs it doesn't feel like new anymore!
It's NOT new anymore. If you want to get one and keep it in "new" condition, don't remove it from it's packaging. But don't be a dick. You screwed up. Act like an adult, not a child and take some personal responsibility.
MEJHarrison is offline   4
Old Dec 18, 2012, 02:55 PM   #16
WesCole
macrumors 6502a

I find it sad that people try to scam Apple out of an iPhone when the damage is 100% their fault. Maybe try just telling the truth or buy AppleCare when you buy your next iPhone. My sister had her iPhone stolen. When she went to the Apple Store, she told the truth and they gave her a free iPhone. I have no problem with that...she told the truth and was prepared to pay for a replacement. If you lie to get something you are not owed, that is synonymous with theft in my book. Do you also expect you car manufacturer to give you a new car if you run your current one into a telephone pole and don't have insurance?
Old Dec 18, 2012, 03:09 PM   #17
Interstella5555
macrumors 603

Quote:
Probably because it's not new anymore. Seriously, can you explain why Apple should replace your phone?
Interstella5555 is offline   1
Old Dec 18, 2012, 03:16 PM   #18
als88
macrumors newbie

Because the 5 is too delicate, the 4s wouldn't chip, scratches are fine but not dents, hope they fix it in the 5s
als88 is offline   0
Old Dec 18, 2012, 03:24 PM   #19
Applejuiced
macrumors Nehalem

Quote:
So in other words you damaged it and now want to scam Apple in order to give you a new undamaged replacement.
What a nice person you are
Applejuiced is offline   1
Old Dec 18, 2012, 03:29 PM   #20
als88
macrumors newbie

Just wanted opinions, il live with it and if the next phone is more sturdy, I might get it, the screen is fine, il overlook this, was bound to drop sometime in the future anyways initial OCD took over me haha
als88 is offline   0
Old Dec 18, 2012, 02:31 PM   #21
dukebound85
macrumors P6

yup, it's apples fault you dropped it
dukebound85 is offline   1
Old Dec 18, 2012, 05:12 PM   #22
pnoyblazed
macrumors 6502a

Quote:
Originally Posted by Leonard1818 View Post
You guys smell that?

Smells like the underside of a bridge....

Like... someone lives under a bridge.

But what kind of being would live under a bridge?
obvious troll is obvious

to the OP, just tell them the truth, you may strike out, but at least you have your dignity in not lying to get a refurb phone
pnoyblazed is offline   0

Closed Thread
MacRumors Forums > Archive > Wasteland