Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

thatappleguytoday

macrumors 68040
Original poster
Feb 9, 2006
Jacksonville, FL
Hey guys and gals, I'm sure there's a bunch of you on these forums who know I like to review cases. Well I have spent countless money on brand name cases throughout the years. I tried a bunch for the iPhone 5 as well. I recently retired the black/slate and went to the white version. The white just had the classic Apple feel to it and I loved the mirrored tapered edges. So, I was on the hunt for a case that was minimal and would show off the phone.

I am not one for dropping my phones, so I prefer thin minimal snap type cases. That doesn't mean I'm not a fan of say the Tones case and hopefully the Magpul line soon.

I started with the clear Incase Snap case and it looked great. Then it had me thinking. Why am I still paying tons of money on cases that I'm not going to keep and just going to sell for much less than I paid for. That Incase was $32 with tax, so I returned it. I then went on the hunt on eBay and one case caught my eye. It's only $3 shipped? So I bought 2 (just in case).

This snap case had everything I was looking for. It's beyond slim, it has clear sides, a matte backing to prevent fingerprints, prevents scratching, and it keeps the look of the phone. I was just looking for a case that would prevent scratching the back of the phone when I put the phone down on any surface.

Now I know this isn't the case for everyone, but I wanted to share a few pics of the case and the link. This is a great case for anyone looking for this style case and doesn't wanna spend tons of useless money on just plastic. US seller too and got the case in 3 days. This is NOT my eBay page so don't think I'm promoting my page.

Here is the link

http://www.ebay.com/itm/181002449912?ssPageName=STRK:MEWNX:IT&_trksid=p3984.m1497.l2648

Here are the pics
Enjoy :D
Hope this helps others!

Attachments

• DSC_1035.JPG
    DSC_1035.JPG
    283.9 KB · Views: 418
  • DSC_1037.JPG
    DSC_1037.JPG
    264.8 KB · Views: 318
  • DSC_1045.JPG
    DSC_1045.JPG
    182.5 KB · Views: 327
  • DSC_1046.JPG
    DSC_1046.JPG
    212.2 KB · Views: 312
  • DSC_1048.JPG
    DSC_1048.JPG
    351.2 KB · Views: 396

JNGold

macrumors 6502a
Aug 25, 2009
Great find. Thanks for sharing. I just put in an order for one just to have around if I ever "tire" of my bumper-style cases.

aphexacid

macrumors 6502a
Jul 31, 2007
Chicago
2 Questions before i order:

You didn't shoe the top, where the lock button is...Is it open like the bottom?

2nd, it doesn't look like it, but does it have a lip that comes up over/above the glass?

If i can get an answer for those 2 questions, this might just be the perfect case i've been looking for!

I have been using a POS Spigen Ultra Thin air frost. Its such a cheap piece of crap, but i paid $25 for it. :(

JNGold

macrumors 6502a
Aug 25, 2009

2nd, it doesn't look like it, but does it have a lip that comes up over/above the glass?

If i can get an answer for those 2 questions, this might just be the perfect case i've been looking for!

I have been using a POS Spigen Ultra Thin air frost. Its such a cheap piece of crap, but i paid $25 for it. :(

From the pics you can tell that the answer to both of your questions is, "no". It's the typical ultra thin snap on case which pretty much has the same design with minor variations.

thatappleguytoday

macrumors 68040
Original poster
Feb 9, 2006
Jacksonville, FL

The top looks exactly the same as the top

It comes right up to the glass and no lip or lay on table design. It gives a nice smooth touch right across the glass.

Hope this helps

aphexacid

macrumors 6502a
Jul 31, 2007
Chicago
The top looks exactly the same as the top

Top looks exactly like the bottom you mean?

i ordered 2 of them! Your pic looks sorta like it should be open on top, which is what i want. And i also don't like a lip that comes above the glass, so this should be perfect.

Hopefully it doesnt yellow, that would suck!

aphexacid

macrumors 6502a
Jul 31, 2007
Chicago
If this case had lay on table protection I would be all over it.

This style case with 'lay on table' lip is so much easier to find.

I've bought so many cases looking for one that has ZERO lip, and all of them have had at least a slight lip

bananataffy

macrumors regular
Dec 18, 2012
the open top and bottom kills it for me but for 3 bucks and free shipping from the US, i might give it a try.

ViperDesign

macrumors 6502a
Aug 7, 2007
Utah
never understood why people would lay their phone face down? Whats the point?

I bought a case like this, but it was just under 5

bananataffy

macrumors regular
Dec 18, 2012
never understood why people would lay their phone face down? Whats the point?

i'm with you on this. i find it really strange many people seem to have this obsession with being able to lay the phone on the screen. doesn't seem practical to me. i'd rather it have no lip, the thinner the better.

SnowLeopard OSX

macrumors 6502a
Dec 5, 2012
California
Hey guys and gals, I'm sure there's a bunch of you on these forums who know I like to review cases. Well I have spent countless money on brand name cases throughout the years. I tried a bunch for the iPhone 5 as well. I recently retired the black/slate and went to the white version. The white just had the classic Apple feel to it and I loved the mirrored tapered edges. So, I was on the hunt for a case that was minimal and would show off the phone.

I am not one for dropping my phones, so I prefer thin minimal snap type cases. That doesn't mean I'm not a fan of say the Tones case and hopefully the Magpul line soon.

I started with the clear Incase Snap case and it looked great. Then it had me thinking. Why am I still paying tons of money on cases that I'm not going to keep and just going to sell for much less than I paid for. That Incase was $32 with tax, so I returned it. I then went on the hunt on eBay and one case caught my eye. It's only $3 shipped? So I bought 2 (just in case).

This snap case had everything I was looking for. It's beyond slim, it has clear sides, a matte backing to prevent fingerprints, prevents scratching, and it keeps the look of the phone. I was just looking for a case that would prevent scratching the back of the phone when I put the phone down on any surface.

Now I know this isn't the case for everyone, but I wanted to share a few pics of the case and the link. This is a great case for anyone looking for this style case and doesn't wanna spend tons of useless money on just plastic. US seller too and got the case in 3 days. This is NOT my eBay page so don't think I'm promoting my page.

Here is the link

http://www.ebay.com/itm/181002449912?ssPageName=STRK:MEWNX:IT&_trksid=p3984.m1497.l2648

Here are the pics
Enjoy :D
Hope this helps others!

Hey, Map1978, great review! Very informative and insightful. I was curious, though -- does the case protect against small phone drops? Or is it mainly used as a protector against light scratches, abrasions, and nicks?

Thanks in advanced.

Last edited:

cheenofly

macrumors member
Nov 8, 2012
In for 1. Couldn't sleep on that price. I have the Spigen Glas t.R screen protector already and from your pictures, it should still fit. I prefer having my phone naked but rather be safe than sorry.

thatappleguytoday

macrumors 68040
Original poster
Feb 9, 2006
Jacksonville, FL
Top looks exactly like the bottom you mean?

i ordered 2 of them! Your pic looks sorta like it should be open on top, which is what i want. And i also don't like a lip that comes above the glass, so this should be perfect.

Hopefully it doesnt yellow, that would suck!

Yea oops, sorry man! I attached a photo of what the top looks like. Exactly like the bottom.

I'd also, like to add that this case fits perfectly snug and has NO creaking anywhere.

Hey, Map1978, great review! Very informative and insightful. I was curious, though -- does the case protect against small phone drops? Or is it mainly used as a protector against light scratches, abrasions, and nicks?

Thanks in advanced.

Hmm, I'm not thinking this would survive a fall, but if it fell on a corner, it might absorb enough to save the phone but destroy the case. I think it's more for light scratches and nicks to be honest.

I bought it because I wanted a slim case that kept the look of the white iPhone and not have to worry about scratching the back when I put down the phone anywhere.

Hope this helps

Attachments

• DSC_1024.JPG
    DSC_1024.JPG
    99.5 KB · Views: 230

bananataffy

macrumors regular
Dec 18, 2012
No, my anvil would destroy the phone no matter the case.

oh okay. i'm wondering what else would likely fall on top of your phone which would damage the gorilla glass and not damage the phone itself, even with a case on.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.