Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

dn325ci

macrumors regular
Original poster
Mar 13, 2009
I have an mpeg of an old 80's movie recorded from a televised broadcast, but the timing of the sound is off relative to the movie. Is there an easy way to edit that? Obviously a noob.

musique

macrumors regular
Apr 10, 2009
Never used it, but...

There's a program called Plural Eyes that is recommended in some of the video editing forums I've read. It's supposed to try to automatically sync up audio (voice) and video. You might take a look at it.

Good luck.

daybreak

macrumors 6502a
Sep 4, 2009
That is what i was going to say. But as you can see we have no idea what system he has. Why should we guess?????:confused::confused::confused:

monokakata

macrumors 68020
May 8, 2008
Ithaca, NY
There's a program called Plural Eyes that is recommended in some of the video editing forums I've read. It's supposed to try to automatically sync up audio (voice) and video.

Plural Eyes won't help the OP. It synchs multiple video+audio clips using their audio tracks to make the synch. When the audio tracks are synched, the video comes along for the ride.

It can't synch an audio track to the video track it's gotten away from.

I've faced the same problem the OP has and have wondered whether there's anything more sophisticated than nudging the audio track and and forth relative to the video track. It's especially hard with something like talking heads, when there's nothing that can be used as a pseudo-clapper.

daybreak

macrumors 6502a
Sep 4, 2009
If you are using iMovie or FCP-X the sound can be synced. I'm having to do that with several clips which i'm editing.
In the timeline i detach the audio track and move it around until the lip movement of the person matches the sound.
It is not rocket science. But for some reason people need special software to perform this task?

musique

macrumors regular
Apr 10, 2009
Thanks

Monokakata, thanks for the explanation. I'd heard of Plural Eyes and thought it might solve the OP's issue. But, from your post it appears I was mistaken.

Thanks.

dn325ci

macrumors regular
Original poster
Mar 13, 2009
I have Mountain Lion and both iMovie and FCPX, the latter of which I'm embarrassed to say I've never used other than starting it a few times. Both seem to want to do a long import process on this movie. I thought there might be an easier way? Thanks guys.

daybreak

macrumors 6502a
Sep 4, 2009
At least you now have told us what you have got. Which would have saved a lot of answer which still has not resolved your problem. Does not matter if you know your softwares but it would help as you wish to do something with some material.
Now how are you bringing this material into you computer and what format is it??????????:rolleyes:
If it is rendering a long time, a) you may have limited space and it is a big file.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.