Go Back   MacRumors Forums > News and Article Discussion > MacRumors.com News Discussion

Old Dec 18, 2012, 05:42 PM   #1
MacRumors
macrumors bot

Google Launches Free Scan and Match Music Service to Compete With Apple and Amazon

Google has updated its Google Play music service with an iTunes Match-like song matching service. This means users won't have to spend hours or days uploading gigabytes of music, as they had to previously.

Notably, Google's matching service does not have a subscription fee like Apple and Amazon's do, with users matching up to 20,000 songs. While European Google Play users have been using this service for a while, this launch is new for those in the U.S.
Quote:
Traveling this season and want to make sure your music goes with you? Add up to 20,000 songs from your music collection to Google Play and stream it to your Android devices and your computer, anywhere you go.

Our new music matching feature gets your songs into your online music library on Google Play much faster. We'll scan your collection and quickly rebuild it in the cloud - all for free. And we'll stream your music back to you at up to 320 kbps.
Amazon upgraded its Cloud Player with a scan and match feature earlier this year, charging $24.99/year for the service. Apple charges the same amount for iTunes Match.

Article Link: Google Launches Free Scan and Match Music Service to Compete With Apple and Amazon
MacRumors is offline   2 Reply With Quote
Old Dec 18, 2012, 05:43 PM   #2
appleguy123
macrumors 603

It's free!? That's awesome. Hope there's an iOS app for this soon.
Old Dec 18, 2012, 05:44 PM   #3
Razeus
macrumors 68040

How are you guys always late with the reports. I reported his already...

http://forums.macrumors.com/showthread.php?t=1510267
Razeus is online now   2 Reply With Quote
Old Dec 18, 2012, 05:52 PM   #4
Menel
macrumors 601

Quote:
Originally Posted by Razeus View Post

You won the internets by 3.5hrs.

/golfclap
Old Dec 18, 2012, 05:56 PM   #5
ppc_michael

Send a message via AIM to ppc_michael
Personally, I'd rather upload my own copies. My library is FLAC, so it gets transcoded to 320kbps by Google Music. I don't mind the upload time. But to each his own.
ppc_michael is offline   3 Reply With Quote
Old Dec 18, 2012, 05:59 PM   #6
olowott
macrumors 6502a

Send a message via MSN to olowott
is it me or has google really worked hard this year
Old Dec 18, 2012, 06:08 PM   #7
AppleScruff1
macrumors 604

Quote:

Careful, they might sue you.
AppleScruff1 is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Dec 18, 2012, 09:12 PM   #8
turtlez
Banned

Quote:

they used spell checker
turtlez is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Dec 18, 2012, 10:34 PM   #9
seamer
macrumors 6502

Quote:

You might have announced it first, but you had very little proper detail in comparison.

Compare:
Looking out the window and saying "it might rain today..."
Looking at a news report with imagery, research, and details of rain at 4:45pm

Silly comparison, but I know what I mean! Lengthy comments via iPad? Not easy
seamer is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Dec 18, 2012, 05:45 PM   #10
kjs862
macrumors 65816

Google: Free + works

Apple: Pay + doesn't work

everyone wins!
kjs862 is offline   27 Reply With Quote
Old Dec 18, 2012, 05:48 PM   #11
Morshu9001
Banned

Google copying Apple, and Apple copying Google...
Well, this makes them more competitive (good), but you really have to choose one side of the fence. I'm already on the Apple side, so I'm hoping Apple will improve iTunes Match.
Morshu9001 is offline   8 Reply With Quote
Old Dec 19, 2012, 12:06 AM   #12
SilentLoner
macrumors 65816

Quote:
Originally Posted by Morshu9001 View Post
Well, this makes them more competitive (good), but you really have to choose one side of the fence. I'm already on the Apple side, so I'm hoping Apple will improve iTunes Match.
I have it and it works great for me but I can see how free is better, I am just interested in why you find it doesn't work for you?
SilentLoner is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Dec 19, 2012, 03:07 AM   #13
Dominicanyor
macrumors 6502a

Quote:
Originally Posted by Morshu9001 View Post
Well many folks like free stuff specialy when it works great!!
Dominicanyor is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Dec 18, 2012, 05:49 PM   #14
TennisandMusic

Quote:
Originally Posted by kjs862 View Post

everyone wins!
While I somewhat agree, Google Music hasn't been "great" really. Some things about it are really nice, but there are plenty of issues. I'd say on the desktop iTunes Match actually works better than Google Music. Perhaps on the mobile side, Google Music works a little better.
TennisandMusic is offline   5 Reply With Quote
Old Dec 18, 2012, 05:58 PM   #15
kjs862
macrumors 65816

Quote:
Originally Posted by TennisandMusic View Post
While I somewhat agree, Google Music hasn't been "great" really. Some things about it are really nice, but there are plenty of issues. I'd say on the desktop iTunes Match actually works better than Google Music. Perhaps on the mobile side, Google Music works a little better.
maybe i was a bit harsh. but i'm beginning to think that apple has some tough times ahead. internet services are in google's dna, not apple's. in fact, apple has a bad track record with internet services. being that the industry is moving to all cloud computing, google will have the advantage. take for example google docs. what a great alternative to ms office. apple has been working on building their own office but failed in my opinion. and they have been hard at work on it for a long time.

i recently had to use docs and was so happy how it worked, i'm considering moving my 50gbs of data from my dropbox to google drive. and then i may even get a google phone so it all 'just works'.

i totally understand how you can view apple vs google is like apple vs ms in the 80's. but in today's apple vs google, today's ms (google) stuff at least works, very well.

another thing that worries me about apple is their increase in collaboration, for example with tom-tom maps, yelp., and now foursquare. for a company that likes to keep a lot of things in-house, they are doing a lot of collaboration. if you look at google's offerings, they did maps, a yelp alternative in house with their own data.

Last edited by kjs862; Dec 18, 2012 at 06:05 PM.
kjs862 is offline   11 Reply With Quote
Old Dec 18, 2012, 06:01 PM   #16
iMikeT
macrumors 68020

All you cheapos should pay for the music you acquire. Artists need to eat too you know.
iMikeT is offline   9 Reply With Quote
Old Dec 18, 2012, 06:26 PM   #17
TennisandMusic

Quote:
maybe i was a bit harsh. but i'm beginning to think that apple has some tough times ahead. internet services are in google's dna, not apple's. in fact, apple has a bad track record with internet services. being that the industry is moving to all cloud computing, google will have the advantage. take for example google docs. what a great alternative to ms office. apple has been working on building their own office but failed in my opinion. and they have been hard at work on it for a long time.

i recently had to use docs and was so happy how it worked, i'm considering moving my 50gbs of data from my dropbox to google drive. and then i may even get a google phone so it all 'just works'.

i totally understand how you can view apple vs google is like apple vs ms in the 80's. but in today's apple vs google, today's ms (google) stuff at least works, very well.

another thing that worries me about apple is their increase in collaboration, for example with tom-tom maps, yelp., and now foursquare. for a company that likes to keep a lot of things in-house, they are doing a lot of collaboration. if you look at google's offerings, they did maps, a yelp alternative in house with their own data.
Oh yeah, I pretty much agree with everything you're saying here. I am considering moving my iPhone 5 to a Nexus 4. the iPhone is just not that great anymore, outside of the actual design of the device. iOS feels so backwards and constricting. Google's cloud services are amazing, whereas iCloud is just horrible for the most part. Sadly, I don't think a lot of Apple die hards realize how big the gulf between the two actually is.
TennisandMusic is offline   9 Reply With Quote
Old Dec 18, 2012, 06:47 PM   #18
haruhiko
macrumors 68030

Quote:

iTunes Match has been working flawlessly for me. Maybe it's for me only. But one thing about Google is that, how can their music library to be as big as Apple's? If it's just the upload part, what's so special about it? It's the matching and "upgrading" of my old MP3s where I find the value of iTunes Match.
rMBP'12, iMac'08/24", Mini'09, MBP'10/15", MBA'11/13". iPhone: 6+/128/sg, 5s/64S 5/64B, 4S/64W, 4/32B, 3GS/16. iPT: 3G,1G. iPad: Air,Mini2,4,3/LTE/64 2/3G/32, 1/WiFi/16. ATV'12,'11, AEBS'09, TC'13/2TB
haruhiko is online now   0 Reply With Quote
Old Dec 19, 2012, 02:16 AM   #19
mdelvecchio
macrumors 68020

Quote:
i'm beginning to think that apple has some tough times ahead.
how many times have we heard that one the past 12 years?

Quote:
internet services are in google's dna, not apple's.
google's DNA started as search. apple's as computers in the '70s. I think apples been able to recreate itself very, very well: desktop publishing, music, phones, tablets...I'm not worried.

Quote:
take for example google docs. what a great alternative to ms office.
if you say so.

Quote:
apple has been working on building their own office but failed in my opinion. and they have been hard at work on it for a long time.
me, I think iWork smokes docs. I actually enjoy using it, which is a first. the templates are clean and the client apps uncluttered and easy to use.

Quote:
another thing that worries me about apple is their increase in collaboration
uh, actually apple is known for the inverse -- taking things in-house, owning their core tech, and vertical markets.

----------

Quote:
Originally Posted by AppleScruff1 View Post
You don't think that Apple is doing the same thing?
no, apple does not. google is primarily in the advertising business, apple is I. the product business. google sells you as the product. apple sells you a product. google will fight to find out more about you to sell it, apple fights to prevent you from being sold. this is documented, do some research.

----------

Quote:
Originally Posted by wknapp0924 View Post
Well considering I got locked out of my itunes match account for 90 days because my wife wanted use the computer I might just cancel it and upload my music to google now.
good story, bro.

----------

Quote:
Originally Posted by vertgo View Post
Yeah, Apple surely isn't trying to get you stuck in their ecosystem. I'll just take this movie I bought on itunes and watch it on my non-apple device now...
you're confusing apple with the content owners. apple fought the record labels to have DRM removed from online music sales, resulting in ultimate portability and transferability. no reason to believe they wouldn't do the same with film, but the studios call those shots. as is, if you buy a movie on an iPhone or Apple TV you can move it to your Mac or even windows machines, via iTunes. that has my platforms covered...
mdelvecchio is offline   1 Reply With Quote
Old Dec 18, 2012, 07:04 PM   #20
karsten
macrumors 6502a

Quote:

everyone wins!
except it doesn't support ALAC.

Last edited by karsten; Dec 18, 2012 at 07:12 PM.
karsten is offline   1 Reply With Quote
Old Dec 19, 2012, 03:09 AM   #21
JackieTreehorn
macrumors 6502

Quote:

everyone wins!
If it is free, you are the product that is being sold.
Old Dec 19, 2012, 03:13 AM   #22
Renzatic
macrumors 604

Quote:
Originally Posted by JackieTreehorn View Post
Is this the new "X just doesn't get it hot mess it just works insanely great" line that's gonna be repeated ad nauseum?
Renzatic is offline   3 Reply With Quote
Old Dec 19, 2012, 03:15 AM   #23
Oletros
macrumors 603

Quote:
Originally Posted by JackieTreehorn View Post
Are you the product when using iCloud?
Oletros is offline   1 Reply With Quote
Old Dec 19, 2012, 04:16 AM   #24
hagar
macrumors regular

I definitely want to try this out.

iTunes Match is horrible on iOS. There's no option to fill your device and reserve a certain amount (say 2GB) for music. If you download a big playlist it just keeps going until the device is full, then spits out an error message for each song it cannot fit, fills the downloads tab in the iTunes app with all the failed downloads and... There's no way to delete your songs again!

So there you are with a full device. Nice one. The only solution : delete everything and start all over with a smaller playlist.

To make it worse, if you start downloading a playlist on your iphone over wifi and then leave the house, it switches to cellular! Can you believe that? My iPhone downloaded 1,5 GB over my mobile network leaving me with a huge bill.
(And yes: the option to use cellular was switched off, this is one of those horrible bugs in iOS 6.0)

Payed online services and apple = no match!
hagar is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Dec 19, 2012, 07:37 AM   #25
840quadra

Quote:
Originally Posted by Oletros View Post
Are you the product when using iCloud?
Really Not sure what use iCloud would be, if you haven't purchased an Apple product, service, or media from one of their stores. They have made their money from purchased hardware, or purchased music, by the time iCloud can really become useful.
840quadra is offline   1 Reply With Quote

MacRumors Forums > News and Article Discussion > MacRumors.com News Discussion