Register FAQ / Rules Forum Spy Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read
Go Back   MacRumors Forums > Apple Systems and Services > Mac Basics and Help

Reply
 
Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes
Old Dec 19, 2012, 03:02 AM   #1
bobright
macrumors 68040
 
Join Date: Jun 2010
I keep getting asked "Do you want iTunes.app to accept incoming traffic.."

It tells me this every time I open iTunes to accept or deny. I accept and also made sure it was allowed in my firewall and its sill asking me it when I open it.

I hope this isn't something corrupt that carried over from my PC when transferring iTunes over.
bobright is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Dec 19, 2012, 03:06 AM   #2
Macman45
macrumors G5
 
Macman45's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2011
Location: Somewhere Back In The Long Ago
No, I've seen the same thing on two new iMac 21.5"S that are behaving exactly the same way and they didn't even have libraries copied over...I've been through security settings on both and can't find any reason for the annoying message pop up.
__________________
..That's All Folks
Macman45 is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Dec 19, 2012, 05:30 AM   #3
bobright
Thread Starter
macrumors 68040
 
Join Date: Jun 2010
Quote:
Originally Posted by Macman45 View Post
No, I've seen the same thing on two new iMac 21.5"S that are behaving exactly the same way and they didn't even have libraries copied over...I've been through security settings on both and can't find any reason for the annoying message pop up.
Whew at least it's not just me, had just got done organizing everything would hate to have to reinstall iTunes. It's very strange but doesn't seem like a common issue. I'm sure there would have been threads about it already.

Hopefully an update fixes it or some file is causing it.
bobright is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Dec 19, 2012, 05:39 AM   #4
MSL
macrumors member
 
Join Date: Sep 2008
Location: Brighton, UK
I resorted to turning off the inbuilt firewall (in Sys Prefs) and no longer get the dialog box.
MSL is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Dec 19, 2012, 05:41 AM   #5
majkom
macrumors 6502a
 
Join Date: May 2011
Quote:
Originally Posted by MSL View Post
I resorted to turning off the inbuilt firewall (in Sys Prefs) and no longer get the dialog box.
It is Apples annoying bug, same happens with my 2011 iMac... firewall seems like it doesnt remember settings (which apps are allowed) despite in preferences, I see these apps as allowed to connect...
majkom is online now   0 Reply With Quote
Old Dec 19, 2012, 05:45 AM   #6
bobright
Thread Starter
macrumors 68040
 
Join Date: Jun 2010
Quote:
Originally Posted by MSL View Post
I resorted to turning off the inbuilt firewall (in Sys Prefs) and no longer get the dialog box.
I guess the reputation is macs can't really get viruses but still I don't think I'm turning mine off. It's like no protection
bobright is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Dec 19, 2012, 07:24 AM   #7
MSL
macrumors member
 
Join Date: Sep 2008
Location: Brighton, UK
Generally speaking you should have a hardware firewall in your router/broadband modem - that should take care of incoming issues. Outgoing traffic is a different matter.

I'm sure this is just a bug and it'll be addressed soon.
MSL is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Dec 19, 2012, 12:26 PM   #8
drambuie
macrumors 6502a
 
Join Date: Feb 2010
It's not just a Mac thing. I've also been getting that message from iTunes on my Win 7 PC, before and after upgrading to iTunes 11.
drambuie is offline   1 Reply With Quote
Old Dec 19, 2012, 12:45 PM   #9
LakeCountry
macrumors newbie
 
Join Date: Jul 2011
I resolved the issues by the following steps:

1. Close iTunes
2. Delete iTunes entry in the firewall settings
3. Navigate to /Applications/iTunes
4. Right-click on the iTunes icon, "Show Package Content"
5. Delete folder "Content"
6. Re-Download iTunes from Apple website and install

All settings and content will be kept. iTunes will ask for the incoming traffic permission once but with the next start the problem should be gone!
LakeCountry is offline   1 Reply With Quote
Old Dec 19, 2012, 01:36 PM   #10
MrMister111
macrumors 6502a
 
Join Date: Jan 2009
I have a new iMac 21.5" and am getting the exact same too. It's really really annoying.

I'm a bit nervous of doing the above, ie messing about with the library though.

When my iMac arrived I thought it would come with iTunes 11 pre installed, but it didn't, so had to install it. I'm happy to trash the app, and reinstall though....I think!
MrMister111 is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Dec 19, 2012, 01:48 PM   #11
bobright
Thread Starter
macrumors 68040
 
Join Date: Jun 2010
Quote:
Originally Posted by MrMister111 View Post
I have a new iMac 21.5" and am getting the exact same too. It's really really annoying.

I'm a bit nervous of doing the above, ie messing about with the library though.

When my iMac arrived I thought it would come with iTunes 11 pre installed, but it didn't, so had to install it. I'm happy to trash the app, and reinstall though....I think!
I am scared to do that as well. I've got gigs of music, sorted album art and playlists etc think ill just wait for a fix from apple hopefully
bobright is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Dec 19, 2012, 02:56 PM   #12
LakeCountry
macrumors newbie
 
Join Date: Jul 2011
Your music and all the other media content is stored in your music folder and therefore is not affected by the steps provided above as you are not touching that folder.
LakeCountry is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Jan 2, 2013, 03:28 PM   #13
dontpannic
macrumors 6502
 
Join Date: May 2011
Location: Orpington, Kent, UK
Reinstalling iTunes is totally safe, if you're that worried just back up the iTunes library folder before reinstalling. The library is stored there, the app merely reads the library from that folder.
dontpannic is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Jan 3, 2013, 05:02 AM   #14
Mike MA
macrumors 6502a
 
Mike MA's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2012
Location: Germany, Europe
Quote:
Originally Posted by dontpannic View Post
Reinstalling iTunes is totally safe, if you're that worried just back up the iTunes library folder before reinstalling. The library is stored there, the app merely reads the library from that folder.
Under normal circumstances I would totally aggree with you - but, at least for me, things have changed with all the cloud services, in this case iTunes Match.

When I did a ML clean install last week I afterwards imported my iTunes library as I did many times before and you have also recommended. Everything looked fine and like before until iTunes Match started its matching process.

Once it was finished I had around 1200 duplicates in the cloud. The library (and the folder itself which was organized by iTunes) before was clean meaning I only had a few duplicates due to redundant songs in some albums. All the added duplicate songs also were slightly different versions than their original counterpart (a few seconds longer or shorter).

Reason was that iTunes somehow matched a lot of songs in a different way in comparison when they were originally added to my library, meaning a different song version was matched (now both versions were available in iCloud). This was a big mess and is caused by the fact that iTunes Match today matches some songs differently as for example one year ago (Apple might call it an improvment of the matching routines).

This issue doesn't come up when iTunes does its weekly matching, it only happens when you add songs to the library and though iCloud twice (by accident or simply when doing a reinstall) with a more or less large time gap in between.

Once you search the Apple support comunity, you see that this seems to be a common issue.
__________________
Macbook Air 13" (late 2010) - Apple TV2 - Time Capsule - Galaxy S4
Mike MA is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Jan 3, 2013, 07:25 AM   #15
dontpannic
macrumors 6502
 
Join Date: May 2011
Location: Orpington, Kent, UK
I don't use iTunes Match so wouldn't have come across that particular issue but it does seem pretty logical that that would be a problem, especially if Apple have changed the matching process between now and when the initial compare was done to the Library.

Thanks for bringing that up.
dontpannic is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Jan 4, 2013, 01:32 AM   #16
cactusflier
macrumors newbie
 
Join Date: Jun 2010
Location: AZ
Quote:
Originally Posted by bobright View Post
It tells me this every time I open iTunes to accept or deny. I accept and also made sure it was allowed in my firewall and its sill asking me it when I open it.

I hope this isn't something corrupt that carried over from my PC when transferring iTunes over.
This recently happen to me on two separate iMacs, a mid 2010 and the latest 2012 both running iTunes 11. Driving me nuts but did some searching and found a fix that worked for both of my machines. Go to your hard drive/library/preferences and find a file named com.apple.alf.plist and move it to your desktop. Make sure it is no longer in the preferences folder. Restart computer. The computer will make a new file and itunes should stop bugging you now. You can delete the file you moved to the desktop if all is working. The file had something to do with firewall preferences.
cactusflier is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Jan 4, 2013, 03:43 AM   #17
bobright
Thread Starter
macrumors 68040
 
Join Date: Jun 2010
Quote:
Originally Posted by cactusflier View Post
This recently happen to me on two separate iMacs, a mid 2010 and the latest 2012 both running iTunes 11. Driving me nuts but did some searching and found a fix that worked for both of my machines. Go to your hard drive/library/preferences and find a file named com.apple.alf.plist and move it to your desktop. Make sure it is no longer in the preferences folder. Restart computer. The computer will make a new file and itunes should stop bugging you now. You can delete the file you moved to the desktop if all is working. The file had something to do with firewall preferences.
Ding ding ding. This man is a genius. It didn't seem like it could muck anything went ahead and did it and bam the annoying pop-up is gone.

Cheers man!!
bobright is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Jan 4, 2013, 04:26 AM   #18
LPZ
macrumors 65816
 
Join Date: Jul 2006
Quote:
Originally Posted by bobright View Post
Ding ding ding. This man is a genius. It didn't seem like it could muck anything went ahead and did it and bam the annoying pop-up is gone.

Cheers man!!
Be advised that you just returned all your application firewall settings to their defaults, and that your iTunes application is still altered in some way from its proper state. You should at least now take a look at System Preferences -> Security & Privacy -> Firewall -> Firewall Options and be sure the settings are what you want. By trashing that .plist, any settings you made for the firewall are gone. In particular, the firewall might now be off.

Last edited by LPZ; Jan 4, 2013 at 04:35 AM.
LPZ is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Jan 4, 2013, 02:11 PM   #19
bobright
Thread Starter
macrumors 68040
 
Join Date: Jun 2010
Quote:
Originally Posted by LPZ View Post
Be advised that you just returned all your application firewall settings to their defaults, and that your iTunes application is still altered in some way from its proper state. You should at least now take a look at System Preferences -> Security & Privacy -> Firewall -> Firewall Options and be sure the settings are what you want. By trashing that .plist, any settings you made for the firewall are gone. In particular, the firewall might now be off.
Is it all my Application settings on firewall it returned to default or just iTunes? Was this a bad thing to do?

I am not on my iMac right now but will definitely check later.
bobright is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Jan 4, 2013, 03:23 PM   #20
LPZ
macrumors 65816
 
Join Date: Jul 2006
Quote:
Originally Posted by bobright View Post
Is it all my Application settings on firewall it returned to default or just iTunes? Was this a bad thing to do?

I am not on my iMac right now but will definitely check later.
After you removed the original com.apple.alf.plist and restarted your computer, the operating system created a new, default plist file. This file will not contain any information about changes you made to the firewall settings. In fact, after the reboot the firewall will be in its default state, namely off.

What you did was not really bad, just a bit more drastic than was needed. You will need to manually reset any firewall settings that were reverted. And replacing your iTunes application with a fresh one from Apple still seems like a good idea, since your current iTunes application bundle has been altered in some way.
LPZ is offline   0 Reply With Quote

Reply
MacRumors Forums > Apple Systems and Services > Mac Basics and Help

Thread Tools Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off

Forum Jump


All times are GMT -5. The time now is 08:37 AM.

Mac Rumors | Mac | iPhone | iPhone Game Reviews | iPhone Apps

Mobile Version | Fixed | Fluid | Fluid HD
Copyright 2002-2013, MacRumors.com, LLC