Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Rbai63

macrumors member
Original poster
Nov 24, 2010
I ended up cracking the screen on my iphone 4 32gb and purchased a red 3rd party front screen and back to fix it.

It is fixed but the digitalizer is messed up and would just like to go to apple and get it replaced.

Would it all still be able to get replaced for the $149 fee even if I have a non apple front and back?

Rbai63

macrumors member
Original poster
Nov 24, 2010
No, but if you put the old screen back you will be able to!

Lol don't even have it anymore, is there anything I can do like crack the front really bad and just leave a little bit of the front screen on there so it isn't obvious the red front and back arent legit apple parts?

aziatiklover

macrumors 68030
Jul 12, 2011
8.8.8.8 and 8.8.4.4
Lol don't even have it anymore, is there anything I can do like crack the front really bad and just leave a little bit of the front screen on there so it isn't obvious the red front and back arent legit apple parts?

Red front and back? No bueno bro! Time to resell it on ebay and get you another iphone!

Rbai63

macrumors member
Original poster
Nov 24, 2010
Red front and back? No bueno bro! Time to resell it on ebay and get you another iphone!

I know that but what I meant was could I just remove both the front and back and just make the phone look really beat up? Would that qualify?

blueroom

macrumors 603
Feb 15, 2009
Toronto, Canada
I know that but what I meant was could I just remove both the front and back and just make the phone look really beat up? Would that qualify?

Moving your odds of an OoW replacement from zero to none. They'll need to access the serial number.

Explaining how the front and back panels went missing would make an interesting story though.

Rbai63

macrumors member
Original poster
Nov 24, 2010
Moving your odds of an OoW replacement from zero to none. They'll need to access the serial number.

Explaining how the front and back panels went missing would make an interesting story though.

Isn't the serial on the phones board internally, how about connecting to a computer doesn't that tell them something?

As far as front and back missing, the front and back were severely cracked and I removed all of the shards and sharp pieces and threw them away because what would apple do with them?

Brian Y

macrumors 68040
Oct 21, 2012
Don't defraud them. You buggered up the phone, and you should buy another one.

And, the moment they open it to check the serial, they'll see that the anti-tamper seal has gone.

Greencardman

macrumors 6502
Apr 24, 2003
Madison, WI
Its not defrauding them to take it in and see if they'll get repair it for the out-of-warranty cost. Its worth the try. I wouldn't recommend bashing it up though.

OP, why don't you just repair the front again with a red part like you did the firs time?

Rbai63

macrumors member
Original poster
Nov 24, 2010
Because I would rather get genuine parts because the screen I have doesnt work correctly

Brian Y

macrumors 68040
Oct 21, 2012
Its not defrauding them to take it in and see if they'll get repair it for the out-of-warranty cost. Its worth the try. I wouldn't recommend bashing it up though.

OP, why don't you just repair the front again with a red part like you did the firs time?

It is - the warranty terms and conditions state that any iPhone which has been modified is beyond economic repair and cannot be serviced. If he tells them this, they cannot swap it. If he doesn't tell them, it's fraud :).

Greencardman

macrumors 6502
Apr 24, 2003
Madison, WI
That's the warranty terms. This is an out of warranty iPhone so the warranty terms no longer apply. The correct terms are Apple's out of warranty replacement terms, which states devices that fail because of an unauthorized modification are not eligible. Technically, his device failed from an accident on the original screen, not because of his repair. He doesn't have the original screen, so I think the point is moot, but I say that putting the original one back on and asking for a repair is not fraud. It would be if he lied about repairing it, but asking is not against the law. They can just deny him a repair if they want, they're not required to do it.

Rbai63

macrumors member
Original poster
Nov 24, 2010
It is - the warranty terms and conditions state that any iPhone which has been modified is beyond economic repair and cannot be serviced. If he tells them this, they cannot swap it. If he doesn't tell them, it's fraud :).

Lol, beyond economic repair. What would they do with a completely cracked front and back screen, me putting a 3rd party screen on shouldn't change anything.

harcosparky

macrumors 68020
Jan 14, 2008

When you made it " your own " by placing non-Apple front and back, you truly made it " your own " 100%.

You should have saved the old parts, even if they were broken.

Rbai63

macrumors member
Original poster
Nov 24, 2010
Would I qualify if I bought a broken oem front and back and tried putting it back on?

Brian Y

macrumors 68040
Oct 21, 2012
That's the warranty terms. This is an out of warranty iPhone so the warranty terms no longer apply. The correct terms are Apple's out of warranty replacement terms, which states devices that fail because of an unauthorized modification are not eligible. Technically, his device failed from an accident on the original screen, not because of his repair. He doesn't have the original screen, so I think the point is moot, but I say that putting the original one back on and asking for a repair is not fraud. It would be if he lied about repairing it, but asking is not against the law. They can just deny him a repair if they want, they're not required to do it.

Abuse isn't covered by an "out of warranty repair", and yes, OOW replacements are governed by the same T&Cs (it's still a warranty repair, just a chargeable warranty repair). You sign the same paperwork either way.

And trust me, modified phones are considered to be beyond economical repair (from Apple's point of view - if you had a smashed screen, the phone needs a new screen - if you've been mucking around in there, how are they to know what other damage you've done while you're in there). If you don't believe me, google "iPhone BER".

Also, FYI - there is a liquid contact indicator on the inside of the iPhone 4, on the middle MLB screw next to the battery. To open the phone and replace the screen, this will have been removed. If they open the phone, they will see this is gone, and will refuse service. Modified phones are unserviceable under any circumstances. You can never "qualify" as you put it after you've opened the phone. Other people might tell you what you want to hear, but this is the truth, whether you choose to believe it or not.

From my experience, it's quite easy to spot when an iPhone 4 has had its LCD replaced, since it's damn near impossible to line it up perfectly, and the proximity sensors have different covering on most "OEM" parts you get on eBay, etc.

service cannot be performed because the serial number has been altered, defaced or removed or the product has failed due to accident, abuse, liquid spill or submersion, neglect, misuse (including faulty installation, repair, or maintenance by anyone other than Apple or an Apple Authorized Service Provider), unauthorized modification, extreme environment (including extreme temperature or humidity), extreme physical or electrical stress or interference, fluctuation or surges of electrical power, lightning, static electricity, fire, acts of God or other external causes (“Service Exclusions”).

If you've taken the phone apart, and it's failed, then how do you know that you haven't caused the damage. It's not fair for you to assume that you haven't caused said damage, therefore this clause will apply. You will not find a genius in the land who will swap an iPhone you've opened.

Last edited:
Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.