Go Back   MacRumors Forums > iPhone, iPod and iPad > iPhone

Reply
 
Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes
Old Dec 19, 2012, 11:22 AM   #1
andrewpturko
macrumors member
 
Join Date: Apr 2012
Location: San Francisco
CONFIRMED: Best Buy Will Price Match Walmart's iPhone Price! (YMMV)

Every Walmart within a 200mi radius is out of stock around me, so I decided to give Best Buy a call, very doubtingly thinking they would price match the $127.00 price. To my surprise, they said they'd do it no problem! This is great for at least two reasons:

1) I DON'T have to walk into a Walmart, EVER! Never did, Never will.

2) I DON'T have to order online at Apple.com and wait for it by mail or in store pickup...you can't walk in an Apple Store right now and just buy one.

Oh, and there is that minor price difference.

So, all in all, this is very unexpected, good news.

__________________
- Andrew
intriguedabout.com
andrewpturko is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Dec 19, 2012, 11:24 AM   #2
Spink10
macrumors 68020
 
Spink10's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2011
Location: Oklahoma
add YMMV to title - title isn't accurate - this may not be the same for all Best Buy's.
Spink10 is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Dec 19, 2012, 11:26 AM   #3
andrewpturko
Thread Starter
macrumors member
 
Join Date: Apr 2012
Location: San Francisco
Quote:
Originally Posted by Spink10 View Post
add YMMV to title - title isn't accurate - this may not be the same for all Best Buy's.
done.
__________________
- Andrew
intriguedabout.com
andrewpturko is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Dec 19, 2012, 12:07 PM   #4
ant the ninja
macrumors regular
 
Join Date: Nov 2012
My best buy near me refused to price match without a physical ad and also, didnt believe they could ever sell the 5 for 127. So I called customer service and I should have my price match refund within 5 days. I figured I would go a step higher than the very rude women behind the counter.
ant the ninja is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Dec 19, 2012, 12:21 PM   #5
harcosparky
macrumors 68020
 
Join Date: Jan 2008
Around here Best Buy has been price matching AMAZON without question.

Saw one guy show the Amazon price for a phone, and he got the phone for $75 when the guy at the table next to him was paying $199 for the same phone.

It wasn't an iPhone but just wanted to point out that if you do not ask for the better price, you are not going to get it.
__________________
Awwwwwww!
harcosparky is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Dec 19, 2012, 01:06 PM   #6
Interstella5555
macrumors 603
 
Interstella5555's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2008
CONFIRMED - It's worth $50 for me not to step foot into either of those retailers. (YMMV)
Interstella5555 is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Dec 20, 2012, 07:12 PM   #7
Burton8219
macrumors 6502
 
Join Date: May 2007
Quote:
Originally Posted by harcosparky View Post
Around here Best Buy has been price matching AMAZON without question.

Saw one guy show the Amazon price for a phone, and he got the phone for $75 when the guy at the table next to him was paying $199 for the same phone.

It wasn't an iPhone but just wanted to point out that if you do not ask for the better price, you are not going to get it.
Where are people seeing $75 from Amazon? If that's the case, I'll be making a trip down to Best Buy...
__________________
iPhone 5S Space Grey 32GB
MacBook Pro with Retina Display 13" 2.8Ghz i5 500GB SSD 8GB RAM
Albany Law School Class of 2015
Burton8219 is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Dec 19, 2012, 04:02 PM   #8
andrewpturko
Thread Starter
macrumors member
 
Join Date: Apr 2012
Location: San Francisco
Quote:
Originally Posted by ant the ninja View Post
My best buy near me refused to price match without a physical ad and also, didnt believe they could ever sell the 5 for 127. So I called customer service and I should have my price match refund within 5 days. I figured I would go a step higher than the very rude women behind the counter.
That's ridiculous! I also notice they (BB) just started offering it for $150.00 on their website and in store... So $127.00 really isn't that big of a deal anymore (never truly was), but you should most definitely be able to get it from best buy for at least $150.00. Funny I'm typing this on my iPhone 5 right now. Happy holidays!
andrewpturko is offline   1 Reply With Quote
Old Dec 19, 2012, 11:25 AM   #9
jrswizzle
macrumors 603
 
jrswizzle's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2012
Location: McKinney, TX
Quote:
Originally Posted by andrewpturko View Post
Every Walmart within a 200mi radius is out of stock around me, so I decided to give Best Buy a call, very doubtingly thinking they would price match the $127.00 price. To my surprise, they said they'd do it no problem! This is great for at least two reasons:

1) I DON'T have to walk into a Walmart, EVER! Never did, Never will.

2) I DON'T have to order online at Apple.com and wait for it by mail or in store pickup...you can't walk in an Apple Store right now and just buy one.

Oh, and there is that minor price difference.

So, all in all, this is very unexpected, good news.

Glad to hear it - as a former BBY employee and frequenter of their stores, I hate hearing all the negative pub, even though I know SOME of it is true. But they're generally very easy-going about price matching competitors.
__________________
Nexus 5 | iPhone 6+, 6, 2G | Lumia 635 | iPad Air 2 | Kindle Fire 7" HDX
"Innovation, my ass!" -Phil Schiller
jrswizzle is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Dec 19, 2012, 04:19 PM   #10
SnowLeopard OSX
macrumors 6502a
 
SnowLeopard OSX's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2012
Location: Southern California
Just called the Best Buy near me and confirmed this as well.
__________________
iPad |4th gen Black/ 32GB/ iOS 8.0
iMac |G4 1.0 GHz/ 1.25 GHz PPCG4 (7445)
iPod |Classic Black/ 80GB|U2 edition 20GB
iPhone |4S White/16GB/ iOS 7.0|3G White/16GB iOS 8.0
SnowLeopard OSX is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Dec 19, 2012, 05:37 PM   #11
bigjim83
macrumors 6502
 
Join Date: Dec 2011
You're too good to shop at Walmart. Good for you
bigjim83 is offline   1 Reply With Quote
Old Dec 19, 2012, 05:45 PM   #12
harcosparky
macrumors 68020
 
Join Date: Jan 2008
Quote:
Originally Posted by bigjim83 View Post
You're too good to shop at Walmart. Good for you
Don't you know the iPhones sold at Wal-Mart were MADE IN CHINA and the iPhones sold at BEST BUY were MADE IN CHINA.

Clearly the iPhones from BEST BUY are better.


Seriously though:

Actually it's not the phones ... it is the service from the vendor.

I like Best Buy for the excellent customer service I have gotten there.

Wal-Mart has not been tested by me yet because there isn't one close enough.

When I finally select a phone, I will probably go to Best Buy myself.

The fact that, as a service to the customer, they will match prices is just incentive for customers to stay with them.

I only wish you didn't have to ask them to price match, that they would match it automatically like WAL-MART claims to do.
__________________
Awwwwwww!
harcosparky is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Dec 19, 2012, 05:50 PM   #13
transam7816
macrumors regular
 
Join Date: Mar 2008
So is it confirmed, ymmv, or confirmed that ymmv?
transam7816 is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Dec 20, 2012, 05:32 PM   #14
andrewpturko
Thread Starter
macrumors member
 
Join Date: Apr 2012
Location: San Francisco
Quote:
Originally Posted by bigjim83 View Post
You're too good to shop at Walmart. Good for you
Actually, I just hate the service. I called over 8 Walmart super centers around me and their customer service was less than subpar. If I asked if the phone was in stock, I would simply get a "no" without any further explanation 9 out of 10 times. It took over 6 tries to call one Walmart in particular and get transferred to the right department. The eight calls I made to Walmart's 8 stores in my area turned out being over 30 calls - yes 30. If they don't know how to press the correct button on their telephone system than it'd be worse than hell trying to get help in store. I could go on with my frustration but I can't stand the company for what it stands for; They try to dominate everything in every genre and niche of the market and at least BestBuy sticks to tech. With that said, it took BestBuy over half of an hour to complete the transaction but I couldn't imagine how long it would have taken the depressed rep at Walmart to activate it.
andrewpturko is offline   1 Reply With Quote
Old Dec 20, 2012, 05:38 PM   #15
mpayne2k
macrumors 6502a
 
Join Date: May 2010
Quote:
Originally Posted by andrewpturko View Post
Actually, I just hate the service. I called over 8 Walmart super centers around me and their customer service was less than subpar. If I asked if the phone was in stock, I would simply get a "no" without any further explanation 9 out of 10 times.
What further information would you need past "no?" They answered your question, right?
mpayne2k is offline   2 Reply With Quote
Old Dec 20, 2012, 05:46 PM   #16
Rocko1
Banned
 
Join Date: Nov 2011
Quote:
Originally Posted by mpayne2k View Post
What further information would you need past "no?" They answered your question, right?
What do you expect from minimum wage workers? You are lucky they speak English.
Rocko1 is offline   1 Reply With Quote
Old Dec 20, 2012, 11:33 PM   #17
andrewpturko
Thread Starter
macrumors member
 
Join Date: Apr 2012
Location: San Francisco
Quote:
What do you expect from minimum wage workers? You are lucky they speak English.
Quote:
What further information would you need past "no?" They answered your question, right?
I expect them to do their jobs, and no - "no" is not a substantial, professional answer. I would have expected an expected time of
arrival for next shipment without first hanging up on me, purposely preventing myself to ask another simple question. I'm sorry but you're doing the job for one reason or another, and you mind as well make the most out of it by being courteous to potential customers that pay for your food. The point is, BestBuy is a superior place to shop for numerous amounts of reasons, this simple opinion being the main reason I posted this thread in the first place.

----------

Quote:
Originally Posted by RWil85 View Post
Just did the same thing..

However, best buy will only price match for me if Walmart has one in stock within 25 miles of the best buy at which I purchased the iPhone 5..

I know for a fact Walmart had them in stock on Sunday night....I purchased the iPhone from BB on Sunday afternoon - didn't get a chance to call customer service to get price match until today...after the BB CS rep called 3 local walmarts, and only getting an answer at one (while leaving me on hold the entire time), she told me to call back when I knew Walmart had the phone back in stock..so, since Walmart ran out of iPhones between then and now I guess I am SOL?

Unless - BB said they are doing holiday Price matching through jan 24...if that's the case, maybe ill be able to get the price down lower than 150.
Technically your local BB is following their proper terms of service for the price match. I guess my store didn't even bother to check, no questions asked whatsoever.

Last edited by andrewpturko; Dec 20, 2012 at 11:38 PM.
andrewpturko is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Dec 19, 2012, 05:47 PM   #18
bigjim83
macrumors 6502
 
Join Date: Dec 2011
Quote:
Originally Posted by harcosparky View Post
Don't you know the iPhones sold at Wal-Mart were MADE IN CHINA and the iPhones sold at BEST BUY were MADE IN CHINA.

Clearly the iPhones from BEST BUY are better.


Seriously though:

Actually it's not the phones ... it is the service from the vendor.

I like Best Buy for the excellent customer service I have gotten there.

Wal-Mart has not been tested by me yet because there isn't one close enough.

When I finally select a phone, I will probably go to Best Buy myself.

The fact that, as a service to the customer, they will match prices is just incentive for customers to stay with them.

I only wish you didn't have to ask them to price match, that they would match it automatically like WAL-MART claims to do.
I get that and I agree. Op just came off really snotty about it. I shop at both places and each has their good and bad points
bigjim83 is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Dec 19, 2012, 05:53 PM   #19
bigjim83
macrumors 6502
 
Join Date: Dec 2011
Quote:
Originally Posted by transam7816 View Post
So is it confirmed, ymmv, or confirmed that ymmv?
Best buy has been pushing their price matching this holiday season so I believe it would be safe to day it's everywhere. If they will price match amazon they will price match Walmart.
bigjim83 is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Dec 19, 2012, 06:14 PM   #20
Afbar1114
macrumors 6502a
 
Join Date: Jun 2012
I called them and the price matched it
__________________
MBP 13", 256GB SSD, 8GB RAM, 500GB HDD in Optical bay|iPad mini| 2TB Time Capsule| iPhone 5s 32GB| AppleTV
Afbar1114 is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Dec 20, 2012, 05:51 PM   #21
RWil85
macrumors 6502
 
Join Date: Aug 2010
Quote:
Originally Posted by andrewpturko View Post
Actually, I just hate the service. I called over 8 Walmart super centers around me and their customer service was less than subpar. If I asked if the phone was in stock, I would simply get a "no" without any further explanation 9 out of 10 times. It took over 6 tries to call one Walmart in particular and get transferred to the right department. The eight calls I made to Walmart's 8 stores in my area turned out being over 30 calls - yes 30. If they don't know how to press the correct button on their telephone system than it'd be worse than hell trying to get help in store. I could go on with my frustration but I can't stand the company for what it stands for; They try to dominate everything in every genre and niche of the market and at least BestBuy sticks to tech. With that said, it took BestBuy over half of an hour to complete the transaction but I couldn't imagine how long it would have taken the depressed rep at Walmart to activate it.
Just did the same thing..

However, best buy will only price match for me if Walmart has one in stock within 25 miles of the best buy at which I purchased the iPhone 5..

I know for a fact Walmart had them in stock on Sunday night....I purchased the iPhone from BB on Sunday afternoon - didn't get a chance to call customer service to get price match until today...after the BB CS rep called 3 local walmarts, and only getting an answer at one (while leaving me on hold the entire time), she told me to call back when I knew Walmart had the phone back in stock..so, since Walmart ran out of iPhones between then and now I guess I am SOL?

Unless - BB said they are doing holiday Price matching through jan 24...if that's the case, maybe ill be able to get the price down lower than 150.
__________________
13.3" MBP, 2.4 Intel C2D, 8GB RAM, 120GB OCZ Vertex2 SSD
Hackintosh: SL10.6.8/Win7 64Bit Desktop, Acer 24", Core i7-930 2.8GHz, 1TB WD Black HDD, Corsair Dominator 6GB RAM
32GB iPhone 5
RWil85 is offline   0 Reply With Quote

Reply
MacRumors Forums > iPhone, iPod and iPad > iPhone

Thread Tools Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search
Display Modes

Similar Threads
thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
iPad: Bestbuy and Apple Price match with Walmart? mytakeontech iPad 16 Nov 7, 2013 08:14 AM
Best Buy Full Price $50 Price Match / Rebate? Satnam1989 iPhone 0 Sep 20, 2013 02:34 PM
iPad: Best Buy clearance, iPad Nuud case for half price... YMMV BrettDS iPad Accessories 2 Aug 19, 2013 10:30 AM
Got BestBuy to Price Match Walmart ipodlover77 iPhone 22 Jan 8, 2013 04:39 PM
Will Apple Price Match Walmart? bryanc28 iPhone 31 Dec 27, 2012 05:17 PM

Forum Jump

All times are GMT -5. The time now is 09:07 AM.

Mac Rumors | Mac | iPhone | iPhone Game Reviews | iPhone Apps

Mobile Version | Fixed | Fluid | Fluid HD
Copyright 2002-2013, MacRumors.com, LLC