Go Back   MacRumors Forums > Apple Hardware > Notebooks > MacBook Air

Reply
 
Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes
Old Dec 19, 2012, 12:29 PM   #1
bbmiLo
macrumors regular
 
Join Date: Apr 2011
Bad memory, need logic board replacement? Easily fixed LOL.

1st gen Macbook Air problem, black screen with one beep continuously at start up, posted here 2 weeks ago:
http://forums.macrumors.com/showthread.php?t=1499858

After doing some research I was ready to call it a loss, since the value of machine just doesn't justify the cost of logic board replacement.

Now, I currently live in Shanghai, I decided to visit one of the many repair shops anyway, just to give it a shot, no charge if not fixable, nothing to lose.

Guess what?
1 day, 600RMB (little under $100 USD), it came back to me working again flawlessly.
They simply just removed bad memory and soldered good ones to the board. As a bonus, even my airport non-existence problem is fixed too during the repair.
They also guarantee their work for 6 months.

So, if anyone has the same problem, instead of giving up or paying Apple to change the logic board, might well just give it a try at those independent shops, soldering memory isn't a DIY job, but can't be that difficult, afterall thousands of workers at FoxConn factory are doing it.
bbmiLo is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Dec 19, 2012, 12:32 PM   #2
krravi
macrumors 65816
 
Join Date: Nov 2010
Quote:
Originally Posted by bbmiLo View Post
1st gen Macbook Air problem, black screen with one beep continuously at start up, posted here 2 weeks ago:
http://forums.macrumors.com/showthread.php?t=1499858

After doing some research I was ready to call it a loss, since the value of machine just doesn't justify the cost of logic board replacement.

Now, I currently live in Shanghai, I decided to visit one of the many repair shops anyway, just to give it a shot, no charge if not fixable, nothing to lose.

Guess what?
1 day, 600RMB (little under $100 USD), it came back to me working again flawlessly.
They simply just removed bad memory and soldered good ones to the board. As a bonus, even my airport non-existence problem is fixed too during the repair.
They also guarantee their work for 6 months.

So, if anyone has the same problem, instead of giving up or paying Apple to change the logic board, might well just give it a try at those independent shops, soldering memory isn't a DIY job, but can't be that difficult, afterall thousands of workers at FoxConn factory are doing it.
The memory at the factory is soldered by automated machines where the chips are placed in the circuit board and sink into a bath of molten lead for a few seconds.

If these were soldered by hands, it will take forever.

But its great that you got yours working. Need some steady hands and focus, but I guess that 100 bucks over there can get you that.
__________________
Lots of Apple,Sony and other gadgets.
krravi is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Dec 19, 2012, 06:25 PM   #3
MathiasVH
macrumors regular
 
Join Date: Nov 2009
Quote:
Originally Posted by bbmiLo View Post
1st gen Macbook Air problem, black screen with one beep continuously at start up, posted here 2 weeks ago:
http://forums.macrumors.com/showthread.php?t=1499858

After doing some research I was ready to call it a loss, since the value of machine just doesn't justify the cost of logic board replacement.

Now, I currently live in Shanghai, I decided to visit one of the many repair shops anyway, just to give it a shot, no charge if not fixable, nothing to lose.

Guess what?
1 day, 600RMB (little under $100 USD), it came back to me working again flawlessly.
They simply just removed bad memory and soldered good ones to the board. As a bonus, even my airport non-existence problem is fixed too during the repair.
They also guarantee their work for 6 months.

So, if anyone has the same problem, instead of giving up or paying Apple to change the logic board, might well just give it a try at those independent shops, soldering memory isn't a DIY job, but can't be that difficult, afterall thousands of workers at FoxConn factory are doing it.
I bet they baked your logic board mate. It'll work for a while (6 months sound about right, maybe up to a year, if you're really lucky). Do it yourself next time

(While it certainly is possible to "solder good ones to the board", it would be quite a difficult operation, and it wouldn't explain why your airport-card started working again. Being baked on the other hand..)
__________________
15" MBPr; iPhone 5; iPad Mini Retina
MathiasVH is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Dec 19, 2012, 07:34 PM   #4
BeeJee
macrumors 6502
 
Join Date: Nov 2011
Location: Long Island/North Jersey
Quote:
Originally Posted by mathiasvh View Post
i bet they baked your logic board mate. It'll work for a while (6 months sound about right, maybe up to a year, if you're really lucky). Do it yourself next time

(while it certainly is possible to "solder good ones to the board", it would be quite a difficult operation, and it wouldn't explain why your airport-card started working again. Being baked on the other hand..)
lmao!!!
BeeJee is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Dec 20, 2012, 05:29 AM   #5
bbmiLo
Thread Starter
macrumors regular
 
Join Date: Apr 2011
Quote:
Originally Posted by MathiasVH View Post
I bet they baked your logic board mate. It'll work for a while (6 months sound about right, maybe up to a year, if you're really lucky). Do it yourself next time

(While it certainly is possible to "solder good ones to the board", it would be quite a difficult operation, and it wouldn't explain why your airport-card started working again. Being baked on the other hand..)

LOL really?
I had no idea about the "baking" method.
Whats the theory behind that?

I figured for <$100 it doesn't hurt, at least I got to copy out all my data, and will just casually squeeze the last bit of life out of it.
bbmiLo is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Dec 20, 2012, 12:42 PM   #6
MathiasVH
macrumors regular
 
Join Date: Nov 2009
Quote:
Originally Posted by bbmiLo View Post
LOL really?
I had no idea about the "baking" method.
Whats the theory behind that?

I figured for <$100 it doesn't hurt, at least I got to copy out all my data, and will just casually squeeze the last bit of life out of it.
Good for you. 100$ would be cheap for a resoldering and replacement job. But it's a damn expensive baking.

The theory is simple: You place the logic board on some foil and put it in your oven pre-heated to the temperature where solder melts. You let it bake for app. 10 minutes and the small wear and tear that soldering joints are exposed to are melted into shape again. The downside to this: The soldering joints are left weaker than before. You'll almost certainly be able to bake it again when it fails (it will fail again eventually), so don't worry about it. At some point, though, there's not much more left to reheat back in place Good luck with it!
__________________
15" MBPr; iPhone 5; iPad Mini Retina
MathiasVH is offline   0 Reply With Quote

Reply
MacRumors Forums > Apple Hardware > Notebooks > MacBook Air

Thread Tools Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search
Display Modes

Similar Threads
thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
Logic Board Replacement sphirexx MacBook Pro 7 Apr 22, 2014 04:52 PM
Missing serial number on logic board did they switch my board with a bad one? Jollyrgr MacBook Pro 13 Nov 27, 2013 05:55 PM
Logic Board Replacement - Help! undesign MacBook Pro 6 Nov 23, 2013 09:09 PM
Bad Logic Board hobiecatter iPhone 8 Aug 27, 2013 03:03 PM
Chance of getting iMac fixed (faulty logic board) for free? iParis iMac 10 Oct 14, 2012 11:24 AM

Forum Jump

All times are GMT -5. The time now is 08:20 PM.

Mac Rumors | Mac | iPhone | iPhone Game Reviews | iPhone Apps

Mobile Version | Fixed | Fluid | Fluid HD
Copyright 2002-2013, MacRumors.com, LLC