Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

kcossabo

macrumors member
Original poster
May 25, 2011
Virginia, USA
Your thoughts on what you would do:

Current install;
1) Mac Pro 1,1 with 4 internal drives, and two 10 disk USB3.0 drive arrays (one is a 2x Raid, the other is JBOD)
2) Running Lion Server
3) It is my DHCP server, DNS, iTunes hub, and Indigo Light Controller for the house.
4) It is not the Homer Internet Gateway, or email.
5) it is the first DNS server listed in the DHCP requests.

Looking to buy a Mac Mini (base configuration), upgrade RAM via Crucial.

Questions:
1) Do I upgrade the HD from the one in it, to a spare SSD (500G)? Would it be of any value in this situation?
2) Would you upgrade the Mac Pro to Mountain Lion Server, then upgrade the Mini to 'server', and migrate data or rebuild the new Mini from scratch (ouch on the DHCP tables)
3) Would you buy the drive doubler, and use the SSD as one drive and the HD as the other? (iTunes collection is bigger than 500g)

Any thoughts are appreciated. The Mac Pro 1,1 is having issues starting up after a reboot now, so after 6 years of service it will need to be retired soon.

paulrbeers

macrumors 68040
Dec 17, 2009
Your thoughts on what you would do:

Current install;
1) Mac Pro 1,1 with 4 internal drives, and two 10 disk USB3.0 drive arrays (one is a 2x Raid, the other is JBOD)
2) Running Lion Server
3) It is my DHCP server, DNS, iTunes hub, and Indigo Light Controller for the house.
4) It is not the Homer Internet Gateway, or email.
5) it is the first DNS server listed in the DHCP requests.

Looking to buy a Mac Mini (base configuration), upgrade RAM via Crucial.

Questions:
1) Do I upgrade the HD from the one in it, to a spare SSD (500G)? Would it be of any value in this situation?
2) Would you upgrade the Mac Pro to Mountain Lion Server, then upgrade the Mini to 'server', and migrate data or rebuild the new Mini from scratch (ouch on the DHCP tables)
3) Would you buy the drive doubler, and use the SSD as one drive and the HD as the other? (iTunes collection is bigger than 500g)

Any thoughts are appreciated. The Mac Pro 1,1 is having issues starting up after a reboot now, so after 6 years of service it will need to be retired soon.

I don't have a complete answer for you, but a couple of items of note:

1. The Mac Pro won't be able to take Mountain Lion (at least not without a few hacks). I think you would run the risk of completely hosing your Mac Pro.
2. Is the Mac Mini (server) going to just be used as a server or will you use it for other things? If you aren't going to use it for anything else then I wouldn't recommend bothering dropping an expensive SSD into it (since other than the initial boot, you won't have much else for gains).
3. Again if 2 is no, then I wouldn't bother with the drive doubler and just use the USB3.0 and do external or NAS's; however, if #2 is a yes then I would definitely go with the data doubler. Just a nice way to continue to get some use out of the hard drive that came with your mini.

Just my .02 worth. Not much help on the migration of the Server "stuff", but at least it should help you with some of your questions....

iWeekend

macrumors regular
Nov 28, 2012
My thoughts are:

I'd wonder if the mid i7 quad core might be a better choice, depending on network demands and a bit of future proofing for a 6+ year install.

The benefit of SSD would likely be realized if you could place all your itunes material on one SSD disk (or split over some array). I'm not sure the cost would be justified though.

Fresh rebuilds are my preference. I can't say for sure, but the DHCP tables "should" be fundamentally a text file "somewhere". If you can find out that answer, then your life would be simplified.

kcossabo

macrumors member
Original poster
May 25, 2011
Virginia, USA
Thank you

I don't have a complete answer for you, but a couple of items of note:

1. The Mac Pro won't be able to take Mountain Lion (at least not without a few hacks). I think you would run the risk of completely hosing your Mac Pro.

Oh Rho.... did not think about that... problem 1 gone.

2. Is the Mac Mini (server) going to just be used as a server or will you use it for other things? If you aren't going to use it for anything else then I wouldn't recommend bothering dropping an expensive SSD into it (since other than the initial boot, you won't have much else for gains).

It sits in a closet, no other uses. So no SSD, also EASY BUTTON!

3. Again if 2 is no, then I wouldn't bother with the drive doubler and just use the USB3.0 and do external or NAS's; however, if #2 is a yes then I would definitely go with the data doubler. Just a nice way to continue to get some use out of the hard drive that came with your mini.

Just my .02 worth. Not much help on the migration of the Server "stuff", but at least it should help you with some of your questions....

Cool, so I will read on how to move the server files (if I can) so I do not need to set up the DHCP Clients again. That is the big part amazing how many IP Devices in the house, and it is nice to know which is doing what.

once again, Thank you

----------

My thoughts are:

I'd wonder if the mid i7 quad core might be a better choice, depending on network demands and a bit of future proofing for a 6+ year install.

The benefit of SSD would likely be realized if you could place all your itunes material on one SSD disk (or split over some array). I'm not sure the cost would be justified though.

Fresh rebuilds are my preference. I can't say for sure, but the DHCP tables "should" be fundamentally a text file "somewhere". If you can find out that answer, then your life would be simplified.

Thank you. I will lok at the cost, but I built a 'server' and added the full toppings, and it rang in at 2x the base, so, me think upgrade every 3 years, instead of 5, for 1/2 cost each :) , who am I kidding, the MAc Pro was well over $3K when I got it (it was a workstation) and all the Mini's are cheaper and more powerful than it is.

The key was the USB 3.0 for the drive arrays, and no reason or cash for a Mac Pro for this roll. my iMac is only a year old, and does not fit (27") in the closet....

SSD off of a USB3.0 port?

kcossabo

macrumors member
Original poster
May 25, 2011
Virginia, USA
Santa brought me a Mac Mini.

1) Migration Assistant move data
2) Down load Server
3) Turn on server

All there except the file shares, but that is easy to rebuild.

Now I need a good firewall manager.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.