Go Back   MacRumors Forums > News and Article Discussion > MacRumors.com News Discussion

Old Dec 19, 2012, 03:49 PM   #1
MacRumors
macrumors bot

iOS 6 Adoption Up 29% After Google Maps Hits App Store

Google Maps was released for iOS on December 12, and in the five days after it hit the App Store, ad management platform MoPub noticed a 29 percent increase in unique iOS 6 users.

The data from MoPub, which supports 12,000 apps and monitors 1 billion ad impressions daily, suggests that quite a few iDevice owners were waiting for a better mapping solution before upgrading to Apple's newest operating system.

TechCrunch spoke to MoPub CEO Jim Payne, who had this to say:
Quote:
"We observed since the launch of Google Maps for iOS 6 a 30 percent increase in unique iOS 6 users, and we think it's related to Google Maps. It verifies that hypothesis that people were actually holding back to upgrade until Google Maps was available."
MoPub's data does, however, conflict with another report from mobile ad network Chitika, which saw just a 0.2 percentage point increase in iOS 6 users in the first 36 hours of Google Maps availability. MoPub seems to include a wider set of data than Chitika and which was taken over a longer period of time, and MoPub's inclusion of weekend data in particular seems to have contributed significantly to the observed increase in adoption, as people may have been waiting to do the lengthy update to iOS 6.

An increased iOS 6 adoption rate following the launch of Google Maps not only benefits Google, but also Apple, which naturally wants as many users as possible on its latest operating system version. With Google's mapping solution now taking some of the pressure off of Apple's own flawed product, one major reason holding some users back from updating to iOS 6 has been addressed.

Article Link: iOS 6 Adoption Up 29% After Google Maps Hits App Store
MacRumors is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Dec 19, 2012, 03:51 PM   #2
gmanist1000
macrumors 68020

Google needs to add:
  • Contacts integration!
  • Night mode
gmanist1000 is offline   13 Reply With Quote
Old Dec 19, 2012, 04:12 PM   #3
KdParker
macrumors 68040

Quote:
Originally Posted by gmanist1000 View Post
Google needs to add:
  • Contacts integration!
  • Night mode
Can they?
KdParker is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Dec 19, 2012, 04:26 PM   #4
gmanist1000
macrumors 68020

Quote:
Originally Posted by KdParker View Post
Can they?
Why not?
gmanist1000 is offline   1 Reply With Quote
Old Dec 19, 2012, 04:29 PM   #5
FrauHasSpoken
macrumors member

Quote:
Why not?
"...the application duplicated the core dialer functionality of the iPhone."

FrauHasSpoken is offline   1 Reply With Quote
Old Dec 19, 2012, 04:35 PM   #6
joel6653
macrumors newbie

Percentage axis on graph

Am I the only one who doesn't get what the percentage axis on the graph is supposed to mean? Before Google Maps, the percentage of adoption was 100%, and has now increased to 129% of users?
joel6653 is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Dec 20, 2012, 11:05 AM   #7
Gix1k
macrumors 68020

Quote:
Originally Posted by KdParker View Post
Can they?
Google can do anything
MacBook Pro Retina 15"
Gix1k is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Dec 19, 2012, 05:56 PM   #8
Cod3rror
macrumors 68000

Quote:
Google needs to add:
  • Contacts integration!
  • Night mode
It needs more stuff...

Starred items don't show the name you've given them in the bookmarks, instead they are displayed as coordinates.

Cannot add an address to a contact. Cannot drop a pin and assign the address to a contact.

Cannot give a starred place a custom name.

No Compass lock, sometimes when pinching the map gets tilted by accident. I'd like an option to lock the compass.

Multiple pins drop - I'd like to be able to drop multiple pins on the map and route between them.

Route from - cannot do anything else but write in an address. I'd like to route my contact's address for example or pick a map point to route from.

Route drag, an ability to drag the navigational route, like it's possible on the desktop Google Maps website would be nice.
Cod3rror is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Dec 19, 2012, 06:57 PM   #9
gmanist1000
macrumors 68020

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cod3rror View Post
It needs more stuff...

Starred items don't show the name you've given them in the bookmarks, instead they are displayed as coordinates.

Cannot add an address to a contact. Cannot drop a pin and assign the address to a contact.

Cannot give a starred place a custom name.

No Compass lock, sometimes when pinching the map gets tilted by accident. I'd like an option to lock the compass.

Multiple pins drop - I'd like to be able to drop multiple pins on the map and route between them.

Route from - cannot do anything else but write in an address. I'd like to route my contact's address for example or pick a map point to route from.

Route drag, an ability to drag the navigational route, like it's possible on the desktop Google Maps website would be nice.
Those are all great ideas, hopefully they come in future updates.
gmanist1000 is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Dec 19, 2012, 03:51 PM   #10
thekris1234
macrumors member

Ironic that the developer of a platform with slow adoption rates can cause the adoption rate of a rival platform to surge.
thekris1234 is offline   29 Reply With Quote
Old Dec 19, 2012, 03:53 PM   #11
Otterblue
macrumors member

Figures.
Otterblue is offline   1 Reply With Quote
Old Dec 19, 2012, 03:54 PM   #12
nepalisherpa
macrumors 68000

Could it be that more people are buying iPhone 5/new iPads (which come with iOS 6 to begin with) for holiday gifts?
Old Dec 19, 2012, 04:34 PM   #13
lanirugzo
macrumors newbie

Quote:
Originally Posted by nepalisherpa View Post
Could it be that more people are buying iPhone 5/new iPads (which come with iOS 6 to begin with) for holiday gifts?
Good point. I have a hard time believing that many people waited to upgrade to iOS 6 just because of Apple Maps (which, I think, is not any worse than Google Maps).
lanirugzo is offline   2 Reply With Quote
Old Dec 19, 2012, 10:26 PM   #14
GS17
macrumors member

Originally Posted by nepalisherpa

Quote:
Originally Posted by lanirugzo View Post
Good point. I have a hard time believing that many people waited to upgrade to iOS 6 just because of Apple Maps (which, I think, is not any worse than Google Maps).
But if people bought all these new devices for holiday gifts shouldn't they show up after Christmas ?
GS17 is offline   1 Reply With Quote
Old Dec 19, 2012, 04:55 PM   #15
AAPL addict
macrumors newbie

Don't forget about Apple sales in China last weekend.

Quote:
I agree with the holiday purchases thought. I also agree with the Google Maps effect and also think China coming online with new Apple products last weekend added to this increase. If Apple sold more than 2 million iPhone 5's last weekend I wonder how many iPhone 4S and iPhone 4's they sold in China. It would not surprise me if more than 4 million Apple devices utilizing iOS 6 were sold in China alone this last weekend. If so, China alone added roughly 4% to the 17% iOS 6 user gain noted in the article.
AAPL addict is offline   1 Reply With Quote
Old Dec 19, 2012, 05:02 PM   #16
theBB
macrumors 68020

Quote:
Originally Posted by AAPL addict View Post
I agree with the holiday purchases thought. I also agree with the Google Maps effect and also think China coming online with new Apple products last weekend added to this increase. If Apple sold more than 2 million iPhone 5's last weekend I wonder how many iPhone 4S and iPhone 4's they sold in China. It would not surprise me if more than 4 million Apple devices utilizing iOS 6 were sold in China alone this last weekend. If so, China alone added roughly 4% to the 17% iOS 6 user gain noted in the article.
Prior versions usually do not sell at the same rate as Apple's new model. iPhone 5 may change this trend, as LTE is not available in many countries, making 4S seem like a reasonable trade-off. Still, I doubt 4 mil iOS6 devices could have been sold in China in 3 days if iPhone 5 sales are at 2mil.
theBB is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Dec 19, 2012, 04:59 PM   #17
theBB
macrumors 68020

Quote:
If the new devices in one week add up to such a large portion of the existing installed base, Apple will have a blockbuster quarter.
theBB is offline   1 Reply With Quote
Old Dec 19, 2012, 05:50 PM   #18
nepalisherpa
macrumors 68000

Quote:
Originally Posted by theBB View Post
If the new devices in one week add up to such a large portion of the existing installed base, Apple will have a blockbuster quarter.
The survey does not specify that the numbers are US-only! While I agree that sales alone couldn't jump that high, I also disagree that Google Maps is the only cause here.
Old Dec 19, 2012, 07:18 PM   #19
stewy
macrumors regular

Quote:
If they're monitoring ads I would think that the device would have to be on and connected to the Internet to be counted. Not in a closet or under a Christmas tree.

Leave it to google to make the iphone useful again...
stewy is offline   2 Reply With Quote
Old Dec 19, 2012, 07:23 PM   #20
iChrist
macrumors 65816

Quote:

Umm no. Since the day you actually give the gift has not yet arrived. Those devices are not activated yet.

Old Dec 19, 2012, 08:59 PM   #21
Greg.
macrumors 6502

Quote:
Doubt it. That'll show in data for the 25th Dec and onwards when people unwrap presents. People don't buy an iPad as a christmas gift for someone but open it first and play around with iOS6. LOL.

Anyway, the pick-up isn't surprising, glad someone tried to do something with the limited data on it. I've now advised my mother it is safe for her to update her iPhone for example since the Apple Maps were useless for where she lives in the UK.
Old Dec 19, 2012, 09:07 PM   #22
SnowLeopard OSX
macrumors 6502a

Quote:
That's initially what I had in mind. There are plenty of other Google Map substitutions that were available on iOS 6 prior to the update. I doubt people would hold out on an entire OS upgrade just because of one application. I could be wrong, though.
iPhone |4S White/16GB/ iOS 7.0|3G White/16GB iOS 8.0
SnowLeopard OSX is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Dec 19, 2012, 10:48 PM   #23
pirateyarrr
macrumors member

Quote:
No.
pirateyarrr is offline   3 Reply With Quote
Old Dec 19, 2012, 10:59 PM   #24
pirateyarrr
macrumors member

Anecdotally speaking - there are 6 people that I know well enough to talk about their iPhones with them. All 6 (plus me) are now using Google Maps instead of the Apple map app. 4 of the 6 waited to upgrade to iOS 6 because of the maps fiasco. I wasn't so lucky; I upgraded the day after it came out and hadn't yet heard the terrible news. So I suffered, but no more.

Sure, it's only 6 people. And they're all adults, and all reasonably tech-savvy, and we all live around a major city so the transit directions thing was big. But still - 29% isn't believable? Take the fanboi hats, off, kids, for once. Or don't, who cares. Your precious Apple OS will be around for a while yet. You even have a CHOICE now of two different map apps. We didn't have that choice when iOS 6 was downloaded.

Wake up. You don't have any personal stake in whether more users like Google better than Apple. It's not a fkking football team, fer chrissakes.
pirateyarrr is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Dec 19, 2012, 11:54 PM   #25
nepalisherpa
macrumors 68000

Quote:
Originally Posted by iChrist View Post
Umm no. Since the day you actually give the gift has not yet arrived. Those devices are not activated yet.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Greg. View Post
Doubt it. That'll show in data for the 25th Dec and onwards when people unwrap presents. People don't buy an iPad as a christmas gift for someone but open it first and play around with iOS6. LOL.

Anyway, the pick-up isn't surprising, glad someone tried to do something with the limited data on it. I've now advised my mother it is safe for her to update her iPhone for example since the Apple Maps were useless for where she lives in the UK.
Quote:
Originally Posted by GS17 View Post
Originally Posted by nepalisherpa

But if people bought all these new devices for holiday gifts shouldn't they show up after Christmas ?
Quote:
Originally Posted by pirateyarrr View Post
No.
You guys realize that there is a concept called "early gifting"?

MacRumors Forums > News and Article Discussion > MacRumors.com News Discussion