Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

digital1

macrumors 6502
Original poster
Jan 2, 2002
Wisconsin
I have a friend that used to work for Phoinex but still gets inside info from the company. Anyways, I have been hearing that AMD and Microsoft are going to merge together. I happened to find this link floating around on the net. Even though it is over a year old, the exact same conversation my source told me is basically the same info this guy is talking about. Apple may have maklar but Microsoft is wooing AMD. I am not to sure how much truth their is to this. But it seems interesting enough to discuss. I am not looking for any flaming, I just thought this would something relavent to consider seeing as we are a rumor site here and AMD has been in the rumblings for months for a possible Apple solution
( Not to say that I totally agree with that is another story, but as long as it helps.) Well here is the link, if i get anymore info(emails,etc.) from my source i will see what I can do about posting the stuff.

http://www.vanshardware.com/article...liance/0100925_Guest_Opinion_New_Alliance.htm

topicolo

macrumors 68000
Jun 4, 2002
Ottawa, ON
Notice how it says "...The next Athlon will be the Athlon XP?" That means that this article is OLD. I seriously doubt what this guy is speculating.
Not only that, but Van's Hardware isn't exactly known for the integrity of its journalism

digital1

macrumors 6502
Original poster
Jan 2, 2002
Wisconsin
I am very much aware that this article is old. I was just using it to make a point. I think i even mentioned it before if I didnt. But good observation.

digital1

macrumors 6502
Original poster
Jan 2, 2002
Wisconsin
To make a point....

I am in no way affiliated with Van's Hardware, it just seemed ironic that this guys discussion is the same discussion I had with my source.

BenderBot1138

macrumors 6502
Oct 28, 2002
yep...

Yea, that's an interesting one, old or new. Seems like the only thing we can count on is that we can't count on anything in the Computer Industry... Well except that Apple will consistantly woop the competitions backside, while bill gates tries to rule with an iron fist.

:cool:

ELYXR

macrumors regular
Dec 2, 2002
Seattle
Maybe they should call the new Wintel... "microamdia"... hehe:)

Maybe they should call the new Wintel... "microamdia"... hehe:)

insidedanshead

macrumors regular
Jul 17, 2002
Yeah, I am sure the anti-monopolistic government will roll out the red carpet and have a big pizza party over a Microsoft merger or buyout.. haha.. right, Microsoft simply will not be allowed to merge with ANYONE anytime soon.. or buy out any companies assets.. Never..

Bear

macrumors G3
Jul 23, 2002
Sol III - Terra
Originally posted by insidedanshead
Yeah, I am sure the anti-monopolistic government will roll out the red carpet and have a big pizza party over a Microsoft merger or buyout.. haha.. right, Microsoft simply will not be allowed to merge with ANYONE anytime soon.. or buy out any companies assets.. Never..

Actually, mircosoft has still been buying other companies. I doubt the US government will stop much of this.

Our only hope is the European Union doing something about Microsoft.

digital1

macrumors 6502
Original poster
Jan 2, 2002
Wisconsin
To add...

Yeah, actually Microsoft just bought out Rare( The British game developing house that made GoldenEye for N64, and Metroid Prime for Gamecube) to be second-party developer for XBox titles. Doesnt it seem strange that AMD is losing a lot of money and employees right now? Its not just economic recession. Also, there was talk roughly about a year ago that M$ was going into hardware too.

g4jones

macrumors newbie
Dec 3, 2002
Retro Studios made Metroid Prime. Rare hasn't really made a good game since Golden Eye(Star Fox Adventures is good, not great)

digital1

macrumors 6502
Original poster
Jan 2, 2002
Wisconsin
:O:eek: :eek: :eek: :eek: :D Thanks for that correction :) I get my game studios confused everyonce in while(actually this is my first time but... yeah!) thanks!

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.