Register FAQ / Rules Forum Spy Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read
Go Back   MacRumors Forums > iPhone, iPod and iPad > iPad

Old Dec 20, 2012, 05:46 AM   #1
washburn
macrumors 6502

Does anyone else wish the iPad mini doesn't get Retina too soon?

don't get me wrong, I love retina its stunning but retina devices don't do what is mostly on the web well, lets face it 99% of the web is not retina optimised, images, videos look blurry…its like trying to watch 720p on a 1080p TV and the percentage of people with retina equipped devices is hardly any, and what could happen is a lot of people won't bother switching the same way they didn't switch from DVD to blu-ray...

so why are you people so bent on getting retina iPad mini?

having used the current iPad mini I love the screen, sharp and displaying 1 to 1 pixel ratio correctly, so I think the next refresh would be better if they made it more powerful/slimmer or whatever and improved but kept the same screen which is already awesome and not get retina straight way, what do you think?

this article said it well
http://www.extremetech.com/electroni...ll-good-enough

"It’s clear that Retina displays are headed for all of Apple’s products, but this transitional period still needs non-Retina screens around."
washburn is offline   2 Reply With Quote
Old Dec 20, 2012, 05:54 AM   #2
syd430

Text. That is the main advantage of retina.

/thread
  20 Reply With Quote
Old Dec 20, 2012, 01:47 PM   #3
richy d
macrumors member

Quote:
Originally Posted by syd430 View Post
Text. That is the main advantage of retina.

/thread
This
richy d is offline   1 Reply With Quote
Old Dec 20, 2012, 05:56 AM   #4
cardfan
macrumors regular

Sounds like you're rationalizing things. There's more benefits to a higher resolution screen than negatives.
cardfan is offline   14 Reply With Quote
Old Dec 20, 2012, 07:08 AM   #5
wrkactjob
Banned

I don't want it to get more heavy or thicker thats for sure!
wrkactjob is offline   8 Reply With Quote
Old Dec 20, 2012, 07:13 AM   #6
ChristianJapan
macrumors Demi-God

I still have iPad2 and iPad3. Every time read MR on iPad2 the image looks pixelated; crispy on iPad3. Ok; nothing new with that one.

But that means the web is very capable of providing content for retina. You are right with images which might be stored in 72 dpi. Those would not benefit from retina. Kindle, Safari, eMail, ... lots of other stuff scream for retina.

I really tried hard to get an iPad mini; and I will get hopefully very soon (but with retina).
Member of MacRumors.com Folding@Home Team (#3446) & developer of the F@H Mobile Monitoring app.

Last edited by ChristianJapan; Dec 20, 2012 at 07:27 AM.
ChristianJapan is offline   2 Reply With Quote
Old Dec 20, 2012, 04:52 PM   #7
RevTEG
macrumors regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by ChristianJapan View Post
I still have iPad2 and iPad3. Every time read MR on iPad2 the image looks pixelated; crispy on iPad3. Ok; nothing new with that one.

But that means the web is very capable of providing content for retina. You are right with images which might be stored in 72 dpi. Those would not benefit from retina. Kindle, Safari, eMail, ... lots of other stuff scream for retina.

I really tried hard to get an iPad mini; and I will get hopefully very soon (but with retina).
I agree. I want the mini to get retina so. I really tried hard to like my mini. But Apple has worked hard advertising all the benefits of retina. My iPad 3 and iPhone 5 are just a better reading experience FOR ME.

----------

Quote:
Originally Posted by blackhand1001 View Post
Reading text on it with apple way too aggressive font kerning did in fact give me a headache. That kind of kerning works on high resolution displays but on lower dpi something more like microsofts cleartype is vastly superior. The minis display also had terrible pixel walk which bothers my eyes immensely. The nexus 7 didn't have any noticeable pixel walk. I noticed it on the mini without even looking at the test pages.

http://www.lagom.nl/lcd-test/inversion.php
Gave me headaches too. And I have 20/20. The text was just to small in Safari for me I guess. Short reading didn't bother me. Checking emails and reading iMessages. But extended reading in iBooks or my lesson notes did cause eye strain which caused me headaches. I've owned every Gen of iPads and never had the same trouble with my full size iPads. I hope retina will fix my issues.
RevTEG is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Dec 20, 2012, 08:39 AM   #8
darngooddesign
macrumors G3

Quote:
Originally Posted by wrkactjob View Post
I don't want it to get more heavy or thicker thats for sure!
Then no retina for you.
Old Dec 20, 2012, 08:42 AM   #9
danpass
macrumors 68020

If it could be kept the same weight/size/battery life then sure, put retina.

Battery life very important for aviation use.
danpass is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Dec 20, 2012, 08:42 AM   #10

Ipad mini is useless to me until it goes retina.

Waste of space in its current form imo
725032 is offline   2 Reply With Quote
Old Dec 20, 2012, 12:31 PM   #11
radiologyman
macrumors regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by SiPi View Post
Ipad mini is useless to me until it goes retina.

Waste of space in its current form imo
Agree. Waiting for retina mini. And with rapid advances in screen technology, it should come within next 2 years
radiologyman is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Dec 20, 2012, 08:56 AM   #12
wrkactjob
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by darngooddesign View Post
Then no retina for you.
Have to say it wouldn't bother me, I have tried it out and really only want it for watching films, checking mail and casual web browsing.

If retina means heavier and thicker then I'd rather stick with the light and thin version!

Unless your doing a lot of reading I think Retina is overrated...its nice to have that little bit more clarity but its really not the end of the world if you havn't got it.

I think we are going to see some extraordinary screen technology in the near distant future that will produce massively lighter and slimmer devices.

So this will do in the mean time!
wrkactjob is offline   3 Reply With Quote
Old Dec 20, 2012, 12:24 PM   #13
cardinalryan
macrumors 6502

Quote:
Have to say it wouldn't bother me, I have tried it out and really only want it for watching films, checking mail and casual web browsing.

If retina means heavier and thicker then I'd rather stick with the light and thin version!

Unless your doing a lot of reading I think Retina is overrated...its nice to have that little bit more clarity but its really not the end of the world if you havn't got it.

I think we are going to see some extraordinary screen technology in the near distant future that will produce massively lighter and slimmer devices.

So this will do in the mean time!
This is just ridiculous! "A little bit more clarity"??? I just don't understand why people cannot admit that the mini screen is pure garbage.

I love Apple, I love my iPad 4, I love my MBP, but the Mini is an EPIC fail. Not an epic fail for Apple because they'll sell the heck out of them, but an EPIC fail for the consumer who is getting hosed by a substandard product.
cardinalryan is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Dec 21, 2012, 06:14 PM   #14
ZipZap
macrumors 68040

Quote:
i don't want it to get more heavy or thicker thats for sure!
amen!

----------

Quote:
Originally Posted by Batavian View Post
I would think Apple would price a 16GB retina Mini 2 at $399. That would fit in nicely with a 16GB iPad at $499. And the $299 32GB iPod Touch.

Apple is pretty shrewd in pricing the current Mini. There is a reason it is so hard to find 16GB Mini's. Its the least expensive tablet Apple makes and provides the lowest cost for first time buyers not currently within the iOS ecosystem. And Apple is using 2 year old technology to boot! There is so much more, even beyond retina, that Apple can offer in incrementally upgrades. Doubling the RAM. Or use of current CPU. Brilliant marketing.
I dont think pricing the mini with the ipad in mind would matter. Its the size and weight of the mini thats the draw. Get one with retina, and they can ask for a lot more.

I would take a retina mini over a IP4 and there are many here who would feel the same.

----------

Quote:
Originally Posted by ljmjag View Post
The lack of retina is such a huge fail. I just bought the mini - but it's going to go back. I just opened the NY Times on the web on both my iPad 3 and the mini and the lack of retina is so glaring that it is almost painful.

Justify it all you want - but I'm shocked that Apple would release a product with "old" technology. Since when did they ever start taking steps backward in time?? Almost every other small tablet has a better screen from the Nexus to the Kindle Fire.

As much as I love the form factor, back this will go until there is a retina mini.
Your opinion is overblown. Its just not that bad.

----------

Quote:
Originally Posted by WilliamLondon View Post
I wouldn't agree they compromised at all, and I definitely wouldn't agree this is old technology, as if they went into their barn of crap they threw out last year and cobbled something together and called it a mini. That's just simply not true.

The device is so much more than merely a display. For me the form factor is so incredible, and what didn't suffer as a result of this thin and lightweight device is quality materials and build. This device is simply wonderful, and it's the total package that makes it so.

As far as the screen goes, the one big benefit their keeping it at iPad 2 resolution ensured that when I brought this device home on day 1, I was able to load up all my old iPad gen 1 apps, and download a bunch of new ones that worked without any bars or scaling or anything odd at all on this display. They all just worked, and they worked on a device that amazes me still just how thin it is and how great it feels to hold. I love this form factor.

Don't get me wrong, I want an improved screen at some point, but I don't want to compromise on thinness, weight or battery life. Also, a new resolution means fragmentation and apps won't simply work on it beautifully day one, so we'll be stuck with this period in between when some (not all) app developers rush to upgrade their apps. If it gets a doubling, that would be great, but I've read enough to know that isn't possible without compromising thinness, battery life and weight (all) - then it just doesn't have the same magic I think this device does have, which is more than just a display. It's the whole package.
Well said!

----------

Quote:
Originally Posted by jojoba View Post
I won't consider a mini until it gets retina.
Then you are clearly not in the demographic for a mini. I'll bet even with a retina, you'll find fault.
ZipZap is offline   2 Reply With Quote
Old Dec 22, 2012, 05:47 AM   #15
flight
macrumors regular

I want a retina-ready iPad mini - a die-shrink and bigger battery - but still keeping the non-retina display. I want to go a week before having to plug it in.
Old Dec 22, 2012, 09:12 AM   #16
Gomff
macrumors 6502a

I can't understand the clamour for retina screens, especially on the iPad mini. I have an iPhone 5 so I know what a retina screen looks like, but I have an iPad 2 and the resolution doesn't bother me at all. Just bought an iPad mini for my other half and I think it's a great device. I kind of wish it was mine instead of the iPad 2 because of the smaller form factor.

The standard resolution on an iPad 2 and mini is plenty good enough for me. Sure, next time I upgrade my iPad it will be a retina device since there will likely be no option but I was never tempted to upgrade to the iPad 3 when it came out, in spite of the retina screen. My eyesight isn't perfect but it's pretty good....I can make out pixels on the screen but that doesn't matter to me, as it doesn't at all get in the way of my comrehension of what I'm reading or looking at.

Apple did a great job of making the retina screen appeal to people with all the "gorgeous" and "magical" superlatives. But to me it's just good marketing.
Old Dec 22, 2012, 12:05 PM   #17
ljmjag
macrumors member

[QUOTE=ZipZap;16536951]amen!

----------

I dont think pricing the mini with the ipad in mind would matter. Its the size and weight of the mini thats the draw. Get one with retina, and they can ask for a lot more.

I would take a retina mini over a IP4 and there are many here who would feel the same.

----------

Your opinion is overblown. Its just not that bad.[COLOR="#808080"]

----------

Thanks for clearing that up for me with your insightful and detailed analysis.

Why don't you try opening up the NY Times website on an iPad 3 or 4 and a mini at the same time? Then come back to me and tell me that it is not that bad.

You can read distinctly smaller text on the iPad 3 or 4 then you can on the mini as a result of the retina display. You have to magnify the page on the mini to make the NY Times readable.
ljmjag is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Dec 23, 2012, 04:36 AM   #18
ZipZap
macrumors 68040

[QUOTE=ljmjag;16540347]
Quote:
Originally Posted by ZipZap View Post
amen!

----------

----------

Your opinion is overblown. Its just not that bad.[COLOR="#808080"]

----------

Thanks for clearing that up for me with your insightful and detailed analysis.

Why don't you try opening up the NY Times website on an iPad 3 or 4 and a mini at the same time? Then come back to me and tell me that it is not that bad.

You can read distinctly smaller text on the iPad 3 or 4 then you can on the mini as a result of the retina display. You have to magnify the page on the mini to make the NY Times readable.
Never said the retina was not good only that the lack of retina on the mini is not that big of a deal.

Yours and other extreme opinions are simply overblown. The ipad mini is not for you.
ZipZap is offline   3 Reply With Quote
Old Dec 22, 2012, 12:34 PM   #19
Batavian
macrumors 6502

Quote:
Originally Posted by ZipZap View Post
It's an interesting point, and I understand the logic. In a way, it (the theory that people will pay more for form factor) is being tested right now with the iPod 5. I think Apple priced the iPod 5 with this theory in mind. Personally, I don't think it's working. If I had to choose between a 32GB retina $300 iPod and a 16Gb non-retina $330 Mini, I'm picking the Mini. I'm guessing 4th quarter sales figures, if they are ever made available, will back me up. At the very least, Apple is giving people the choice for what best fits their needs.
Old Dec 20, 2012, 07:14 AM   #20
Batavian
macrumors 6502

I think it's a given that any Mini 2 will have retina. It's the only current generation Apple device that is non-retina. If Apple decides to release any new generation device prior to September 2013, I'd say the Mini would be it.
Old Dec 20, 2012, 07:23 AM   #21
maflynn

On one hand, I'd like an improvement in the display and while I'm very happy with my mini as it is, a better display would be welcome.

With that said I'd be concerned about the following items.

• Cost - a retina display will be more expensive for apple to use, and so that cost will be passed on to us. The current mini is expensive enough as it is.
  • CPU, will we keep using the A5 or will it have the A6. The retina display means it will need a more powerful GPU
  • Battery life, the retina display will need more power, but also the A6
  • Size, will the thickness of the mini increase to accommodate a larger battery

Overall I like the mini's display but its unfortunate that at the pixel density is such that the displayed text is a point of contention for many people. I'm generally content with the mini but if apple were to improve it, without pushing the price out of my reach it may be an option.
maflynn is offline   3 Reply With Quote
Old Dec 20, 2012, 01:58 PM   #22
AirThis
macrumors 6502

Quote:
Originally Posted by maflynn View Post

• Cost - a retina display will be more expensive for apple to use, and so that cost will be passed on to us. The current mini is expensive enough as it is.
  • CPU, will we keep using the A5 or will it have the A6. The retina display means it will need a more powerful GPU
  • Battery life, the retina display will need more power, but also the A6
  • Size, will the thickness of the mini increase to accommodate a larger battery
Those are some of the concerns I have as well. I'd rather see better specs *without* a retina screen in the next gen. mini. To me, the whole appeal of the machine is that it's thin, light, fairly cheap, and has good battery life. If you put in a retina screen, the recipe just won't be the same any more.
Old Dec 20, 2012, 02:09 PM   #23
Gunny011
macrumors regular

I want it to go retina asap then i'll buy one.

I've been in to my local stormfront every day for the last 2 weeks playing with the Mini, 99% of me is saying buy it but that 1% of me knows that the next version will probably be retina.

Until then, the iPad 3 will do just fine.
Old Dec 26, 2012, 11:41 AM   #24
iThinkergoiMac
macrumors 68030

Quote:
Originally Posted by maflynn View Post
Cost - a retina display will be more expensive for apple to use, and so that cost will be passed on to us. The current mini is expensive enough as it is.
This is the only entry I disagree with. For mobile devices, Apple has historically NOT charged more for the retina display. The original entry-level iPad was $499. The current entry-level iPad is the same price. Every entry-level iPad between has also been the same price. Same for the iPhone (except it's actually gotten cheaper, not more expensive). There's no reason at all to expect the iPad mini to be any different. Why do you think Apple will suddenly change how they've been doing things?

I would love to see a retina iPad mini. There VERY few cons are eclipsed by the benefits IMO.

----------

Quote:
Originally Posted by TJ5921 View Post
Retina would be great if it didn't defeat the whole purpose of the iPad being MINI.
Could you explain why having a higher resolution screen defeats the whole purpose of it being the iPad "MINI"? Did the inclusion of a web browser and other computational features defeat the whole purpose of the iPHONE?

----------

Quote:
Originally Posted by syd430 View Post
The OS is optimised for iPad 2 screen. This is not the case with the mini and fonts in particular render poorly. This is why the iPad 2 screen is clearer in most situations even with the lower PPI.
iPad mini resolution: 1024x768

iPad2 resolution: 1024x768

What exactly are you trying to tell us? That the interface is optimized for one and not the other? It's the exact same resolution! If it doesn't look clear, then either your eyesight is the issue or something is physically wrong with the screen.
Old Dec 26, 2012, 09:53 PM   #25
syd430

Quote:
Originally Posted by iThinkergoiMac View Post
iPad mini resolution: 1024x768

iPad2 resolution: 1024x768

What exactly are you trying to tell us? That the interface is optimized for one and not the other? It's the exact same resolution! If it doesn't look clear, then either your eyesight is the issue or something is physically wrong with the screen.
You are not thinking about what you are saying.

By your logic, if there was a 12" ipad with the same resolution as the iphone 5, then it should be running the iphone version of iOS, because they are the same resolution and it makes no difference, right? Just blow everything up x3 because they are the same resolution right?

1024x768 on a 9.7" screen is not the same thing as 1024x768 on a 7.9" screen.

Icons and graphics look better on the mini because of the higher PPI, but the thing that suffers is small text (when the OS and font rendering is not adjusted for the smaller screen).

If you want an example where this abundantly clear, open the description pop up for any app in the App Store on both the mini and the ipad 2 and come back and tell me which one looks right and which one looks broken.

----------

Quote:
Originally Posted by washburn View Post

wtf is your point
The point is that nobody cares about retina for images or video, where is makes little difference. People want retina to view small text on the web. Open up the homepage of NY Times or any other similar site in potrait mode. It's illegible without constantly panning in the ipad 2 and Mini, whereas it is perfectly legible on the retina iPads or any other computer for that matter.

You are just a special case that apparently doesn't look at any websites on their ipad and that's why you can't see the point of retina. 99% of people do read text in safari however, so most people can see the benefit.

Last edited by syd430; Dec 26, 2012 at 10:21 PM.
  0 Reply With Quote

MacRumors Forums > iPhone, iPod and iPad > iPad