Go Back   MacRumors Forums > News and Article Discussion > MacRumors.com News Discussion

Old Dec 20, 2012, 04:14 PM   #1
MacRumors
macrumors bot

iOS 6 Adoption Uptick Due to iPhone 5 Release in China, Not Google Maps?

Ad network and analytics firm Chitika claims it has seen no significant increase in iOS 6 adoption in the U.S. and Canada. A company analyst believes the MoPub data (which was international, rather than domestic) we wrote about earlier today was affected by the recent launch of the iPhone 5 in China, rather than the release of Google Maps.

This past weekend, Apple issued a press release bragging that it had sold more than two million iPhone 5 units in China over the first three days of availability.

In the chart above -- which only looks at data from the U.S. and Canada, rather than the international data that MoPub examined -- the iOS 6 adoption slope following the release of Google Maps for iOS remains practically unchanged from before the release, suggesting a sea change in iOS 6 adoption rates resulting from Google Maps release is inaccurate.

Chitika Data Solutions Engineer Gabe Donnini:
Quote:
Thursday, December 20th marks the first full week of Google Maps' availability in the Apple App Store. To determine the impact of Google Maps on iOS 6 adoption, Chitika Insights conducted a research study analyzing the trend in adoption rates since the applications' release, along with mapping the OS' adoption rates since its debut on September 19th, 2012 for added context. Following Google Maps' release, Chitika Insights observed iOS 6 usage remain fairly flat from midnight on December 13th to midnight on December 17th 2012.
On Monday, Google reported that Google Maps for iOS had been downloaded more than 10 million times.

Article Link: iOS 6 Adoption Uptick Due to iPhone 5 Release in China, Not Google Maps?
MacRumors is offline   1 Reply With Quote
Old Dec 20, 2012, 04:16 PM   #2
CmdrThor
macrumors member

I personally waited until the day Google Maps came out to upgrade to iOS 6. As did my wife. So that's 2 users.
CmdrThor is offline   6 Reply With Quote
Old Dec 20, 2012, 04:18 PM   #3
iGrip
Banned

Send a message via ICQ to iGrip Send a message via AIM to iGrip Send a message via MSN to iGrip Send a message via Yahoo to iGrip Send a message via Skype™ to iGrip
Quote:
Originally Posted by CmdrThor View Post
I personally waited until the day Google Maps came out to upgrade to iOS 6. As did my wife. So that's 2 users.
It just goes to show that when it comes to Apple, you have to trust your own experience. "The numbers" don't prove anything.
iGrip is offline   4 Reply With Quote
Old Dec 20, 2012, 04:22 PM   #4
Formul
macrumors member

and I thought this was obvious ...
Formul is offline   8 Reply With Quote
Old Dec 20, 2012, 04:24 PM   #5
NoNothing
macrumors 6502

Send a message via AIM to NoNothing
Personally...

I know of 2 people including CmdrThor and wife that delayed updating to iOS 6 due to the maps "issue".
NoNothing is offline   22 Reply With Quote
Old Dec 20, 2012, 04:34 PM   #6
TheRainKing
macrumors 6502a

Quote:
Originally Posted by NoNothing View Post
I know of 2 people including CmdrThor and wife that delayed updating to iOS 6 due to the maps "issue".
Why did you put the word 'issue' in quotes like there isn't actually a problem with Apple Maps?

Have you tried using it outside of America?. In some places Apple Maps is absolutely terrible. Just because your not experiencing the problem doesn't mean there isn't an issue.
TheRainKing is offline   1 Reply With Quote
Old Dec 21, 2012, 06:18 AM   #7
Dagless
macrumors Core

Quote:
Another personally one... my parents updated their iPad (even though it's not out for that yet), and 2 iPods because of Google Maps. Some friends on Twitter recently upgraded for Google Maps too.
Old Dec 21, 2012, 09:26 AM   #8
i.mac
macrumors 6502a

Quote:
Your post is very funny for what it does not say!

Same goes for me, by the way...

----------

Quote:
Originally Posted by TheRainKing View Post
Why did you put the word 'issue' in quotes like there isn't actually a problem with Apple Maps?

Many folks do not have issues with apple maps. Therefore, for some of us, those are 'issues'.

----------

Quote:
Originally Posted by MisterK View Post
I'm as big a fan of Apple as anyone, but their Maps are a disaster.

You meant to say:

...a disaster for me...

...cuz for some, apple maps is a solution, even if you now use google maps.
Old Dec 20, 2012, 04:23 PM   #9
Tankmaze
macrumors 65816

umm yeah, not just china but other 50 countries !! worldwide,
that could bump ios 6 adoption rate.
Old Dec 21, 2012, 10:26 AM   #10
tbrinkma
macrumors 65832

Quote:
Originally Posted by iGrip View Post
It just goes to show that when it comes to Apple, you have to trust your own experience. "The numbers" don't prove anything.
It's more that the modern press doesn't bother to actually check whether it's sensational stories have any basis in reality before they toss them out there to be read.

Let's say, for the sake of argument, that *EVERY* download of Google Maps comes from someone who had refused to upgrade to iOS 6 until Google Maps was available. And, let's say for the sake of argument that every last one of those downloads went onto the maximum of 5 devices. That's the worst-case scenario for Apple, 50 million devices people refused to purchase or upgrade due to Apple Maps.

Over 200 million iOS 6 device purchases or upgrades happened *before* Google Maps was released, and the number has only increased since then. That means the *incredibly unlikely* worst-case scenario says less than 25% of people actually seem to think that Apple Maps is so bad you can't afford to use iOS 6 until Google Maps is around.

This absolute worst-case scenario is still *better* than the 29% touted in the prior article. It's pretty obvious then that the prior article wasn't correct and had failed to compensate for multiple changing variables.

In reality, the device-count is higher than the 200 million number, most people have 1-3 devices they're going to put an app on (not 5). Many download apps directly to the device (meaning a 1:1 download:device ratio, not 1:5).

It's been pretty obvious the entire time that the 29% story didn't actually reflect reality.

----------

Quote:
Originally Posted by TallManNY View Post
Your misunderstanding what was reported. It was a 29% increase in unique iOS adoptions over their baseline day. So if on Monday 100 new devices, then Tuesday 110, then Wednesday 120, then Thursday 129, so they reported an adoption rate increase. The percentage was a percentage of new adoptions, which turns out to probably include new devices. The 29% had nothing to do with total iOS users.

Again, I think the Maps "scandal" was a scandal because the media reported it as a scandal. 90% of all iOS users will continue to use Apple Maps. Apple Maps will be fine for their needs. And google maps is out and solves the issue just a couple of months after we got our new phones any way. And Apple Maps pushed Google to make Google Maps better. Thanks Apple. Love scandals that end up in better stuff for customers really quickly.
Also it wasn't Monday-Thursday. It was Tuesday-Saturday, with the Fri-Sat interval showing 22% of the touted 29% growth-rate increase. Strange that the days of the week that are typically bigger shopping days show a higher increase than the mid-week number, isn't it?
Old Dec 20, 2012, 04:41 PM   #11
Plutonius
macrumors 601

Quote:
Originally Posted by CmdrThor View Post
Many people did and I'm sure it had some effect on the usage rate. That said, I would be much more inclined to believe the huge increase was due to the sale of the iPhone 5 in China.
Plutonius is offline   2 Reply With Quote
Old Dec 20, 2012, 04:47 PM   #12
perpetuity
macrumors newbie

OK so Google Maps is finally better than MapQuest, which forever has offered FREE turn by turn on iOS. And the MapQuest turn by turn rocked, but, the MQ search really sucked... really, really sucked.

Google has great search, now they have pretty great maps on iOS.

I really, really like Apple Maps. But I use iPhone 4 and they kept, artificially, turn by turn off of iPhone 4. What a gaggle of wankers they are.

Otherwise, AppleMaps has navigated me across rural Maine, across MA, into NY, and Dallas TX without trouble aside from place name search. Since I understand the data problem they have I can work around their less than stellar place name search, so AppleMaps has been great!

Apple shouldn't have withheld turn by turn on iPhone 4. It's the most egregious example of attempting to get people to upgrade I've ever seen.

Finally, I knew this spike wasn't due to GMaps as good as they are... haters gonna hate, drive down the stock, pretend Google is open, and basically spread FUD. It's been this way since the early 90s.
perpetuity is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Dec 20, 2012, 06:29 PM   #13
MaSx
macrumors regular

Quote:
"On Monday, Google reported that Google Maps for iOS had been downloaded more than 10 million times."
Yet, Apple will have their ****** Maps as default for as long as they can until people stop buying iPhone or Apple fan boys start telling Apple off. haha, like that's gonna happen. Everything was going smooth and good until the Google Maps dropped.
MaSx is offline   1 Reply With Quote
Old Dec 20, 2012, 06:40 PM   #14
Asia8
macrumors member

iPads being used by flight crew as navigational devices.

[Triple Click Me] Maybe not so factual... but a good laugh none the less.

Last edited by Asia8; Dec 20, 2012 at 06:50 PM.
Asia8 is offline   3 Reply With Quote
Old Dec 20, 2012, 06:49 PM   #15
ArtOfWarfare
macrumors 603

Send a message via Skype™ to ArtOfWarfare
My take away from the story:

71.5% of iOS users are now running iOS 6. Which means developers releasing iOS 6 only apps today will likely be reducing their sales volume by no more than 28.5%. Also, there's that trend line in the article showing that the percentage of people who won't be able to use the app is going down by around 1.5%/month.

And now the always fun look at Android's latest OS uptake statistics:

http://developer.android.com/about/d...rds/index.html

Let's see... 50.6% of Android devices are still running Gingerbread (released 2 years ago,) and of those who aren't running Gingerbread, about 1/3 are running older... leaving just 34% of users running a version of Android released within the past year.
Old Dec 20, 2012, 06:57 PM   #16
MDomino
macrumors member

Seriously, WHO CARES?
MDomino is offline   3 Reply With Quote
Old Dec 20, 2012, 10:06 PM   #17
GoldenJoe
macrumors regular

That google maps attribution was laughable. I'm surprised people actually posted the story.
GoldenJoe is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Dec 20, 2012, 10:30 PM   #18
Mackan
macrumors 65816

Very interesting analysis... No.
Mackan is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Dec 21, 2012, 12:12 AM   #19
mentaluproar
macrumors 68000

I only use apple maps for two reasons: siri integration and the ability to sleep the phone when driving, and have it wake up when I need to pay attention to it.

If waze of navigon did that, I would switch. that being said, Apple maps has been pretty god for me.

----------

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mr. Gates View Post
It would be nice if Macrumors had a Jailbreak news/Info tab at the top of the page
I'm not big on jailbreaking (because the average user is too stupid to safely use an open anything) but you have a point. The jailbreaking community is large and yet we don't have a JB news tab.