Go Back   MacRumors Forums > News and Article Discussion > Mac Blog Discussion

Old Dec 20, 2012, 05:44 PM   #1
MacRumors
macrumors bot

New 27" iMac Not Compatible With VESA Mounts

Apple has long supported VESA mounting brackets for its larger displays, including the 27" iMac, the 27" Thunderbolt and 24" and 30" Cinema Displays. With Apple's adapter bracket, the desk stand can be removed and the display can be attached to any VESA-compatible mount.

However, the new, thinner 27" iMac, does not support VESA mounting according to an email from Apple obtained by MacTrast. This is also noted in a compatibility note for the Apple VESA Mount Adapter Kit on the Apple Online Store.
Quote:
Hi Glenn,

Thank you for your inquiry. The new iMac is not VESA mount compatible at this time.

We appreciate your feedback on this feature and will take it into consideration.

Thanks,
Laura
iMac owners frequently mount their machines to wall brackets for use as kiosks or other commercial displays, or to attach them to an articulating wall mount for flexible placement.

(Photo courtesy Flickr/Jaysin Trevino)

Article Link: New 27" iMac Not Compatible With VESA Mounts
MacRumors is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Dec 20, 2012, 05:47 PM   #2
Andy-V
macrumors 6502

The height of those iMac's on the wall looks uncomfortable.
Andy-V is offline   23 Reply With Quote
Old Dec 20, 2012, 05:52 PM   #3
thekev
macrumors 603

Blah this is why I find the thinness obsession to be weird. It doesn't take up less desk space as the depth footprint of stand plus machine is virtually identical. In this case it lost functionality for the moment. The purpose of thinning out a design should be to better accommodate spatially constrained installations. I wonder if this will be updated.
Old Dec 20, 2012, 05:53 PM   #4
ka-spot
macrumors 6502

No worries, I'm looking the old one!
Old Dec 20, 2012, 11:48 PM   #5
Stridder44
macrumors 68040

Quote:
Originally Posted by thekev View Post
Blah this is why I find the thinness obsession to be weird. It doesn't take up less desk space as the depth footprint of stand plus machine is virtually identical. In this case it lost functionality for the moment. The purpose of thinning out a design should be to better accommodate spatially constrained installations. I wonder if this will be updated.

Pretty sure everyone feels this way. The thinness factor only really works up to a point, and even then...
Stridder44 is offline   3 Reply With Quote
Old Dec 22, 2012, 05:34 AM   #6
Kludge420
macrumors regular

Hi,

Even though no one gives a toss about how thin the iMac is we're going to waste time and effort solving a " problem" no one has. Oh and we're going to break stuff that used to work.

Signed,

Apple

P.S. We hate your freedom.

----------

Quote:
Originally Posted by mdelvecchio View Post
only a fool would dispose of his macbook pro or iphone simply because it required a battery replacement down the road. thats like me tossing my car if i had to bring it into the shop for its 2-year or 4-year tune...
Yeah, so making a laptop where you can't replace the battery is pretty stupid huh? Or is that simple concept beyond your grasp?
Kludge420 is offline   1 Reply With Quote
Old Dec 22, 2012, 06:59 AM   #7
Oui
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kludge420 View Post
Hi,

Even though no one gives a toss about how thin the iMac is we're going to waste time and effort solving a " problem" no one has. Oh and we're going to break stuff that used to work.

Signed,

Apple

----------

Yeah, so making a laptop where you can't replace the battery is pretty stupid huh? Or is that simple concept beyond your grasp?
Dear you
Don't buy one

Signed,
Apple
Oui is offline   1 Reply With Quote
Old Dec 22, 2012, 07:33 AM   #8
Brian Y
macrumors 68020

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kludge420 View Post
Hi,

Signed,

Apple

----------

The battery can be replaced, by Apple, for a fee ($199). This will be for a battery that is capable of holding 80% of its charge after 1000 cycles.

Dell, for example, will sell you a 9 cell battery for your Inspiron 1501 (model picked since it's one I happen to have here) - for $119. This will last approx 300 cycles before it holds 80%, and, from experience, a cycle will happen in about 4 hours, as opposed to the 7 in the rMBP.

Which seems like better value when you do the math ($1999 is 10% of rMPB cost - $119 is about 20% of the dell's value when new).

Anyone who throws out a laptop simply because they don't want to pay $199 for a new battery is either foolish or ignorant. Just because you can't go buy a $20 clone from china which will probably destroy your $2,000 machine, doesn't mean the battery cannot be replaced.
Brian Y is offline   3 Reply With Quote
Old Dec 24, 2012, 05:31 PM   #9
Untethered
macrumors newbie

\/read\/

Anybody whose wondering, VESA announced they're working on a new mount for the new iMac. Lol. Nobody else commented about it :3.
Untethered is offline   1 Reply With Quote
Old Dec 31, 2012, 10:19 AM   #10
calaverasgrande
macrumors 65816

okay so the performance of teh new imacs os great, but in terms of ergonomics (and ergonomic compatibility) they suck.
Thin is nice, but what is the reasoning behind the vesa mount incompatibility?
And the headphone jack on the back(and all other jacks as well).
Do people in Cupertino actually use iMacs?
(I've been there, they do).
As much as I dig Apple gear, they have lately been giving me too many reasons NOT to buy. Due to space constraints I WILL be wall mounting any iMac I buy on an articulated wall arm. If the current model won't do that, I will have to pick up a refurb or used model. Lower performance, but it does what I want.
Gotta wonder about the Edu market. I see alot of wall mounted imacs in libraries and schools.
calaverasgrande is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Jan 2, 2013, 08:36 AM   #11
antonis
macrumors 6502a

Quote:
Originally Posted by calaverasgrande View Post
okay so the performance of teh new imacs os great, but in terms of ergonomics (and ergonomic compatibility) they suck.
Thin is nice, but what is the reasoning behind the vesa mount incompatibility?
And the headphone jack on the back(and all other jacks as well).
Do people in Cupertino actually use iMacs?
(I've been there, they do).
As much as I dig Apple gear, they have lately been giving me too many reasons NOT to buy. Due to space constraints I WILL be wall mounting any iMac I buy on an articulated wall arm. If the current model won't do that, I will have to pick up a refurb or used model. Lower performance, but it does what I want.
Gotta wonder about the Edu market. I see alot of wall mounted imacs in libraries and schools.
Previous models also had all the jacks on the back of the machine, too. The only thing that was on the side for the previous models and moved to the back is the smart card slot.

(I didn't mention the lack of optical drive as this seems to be "undesired" for all new Macs including laptops, so it is moving to become a legacy device, at least according to Apple).
antonis is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Jan 2, 2013, 01:11 AM   #12
cclloyd
macrumors 68000

I question why the iMac ever needed to be thinner. I would rather a THICKER desktop since it wouldn't take up any more space with the iMac design if it would mean double or triple the power.
cclloyd is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Jan 3, 2013, 09:07 PM   #13
Lil Chillbil
macrumors 65816

am I the only one who read this and went

whatttttttttttt I didn't know you could do that
Old Feb 16, 2013, 08:27 PM   #14
ssdaytona
macrumors member

there goes the idea of me replacing my 2011 27" iMac.

too bad
ssdaytona is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Dec 21, 2012, 07:12 AM   #15
Kaibelf
macrumors 6502a

Quote:
Originally Posted by thekev View Post
Give me a break. I find someone who mounts a computer on a wall the way that picture shows to be FAR weirder than the 99.9999% who leave an iMac on a desk and prefer it to look nice. You act as if people never rearrange their homes.

----------

Quote:
Originally Posted by zorinlynx View Post
Is it me or is Apple slowly turning from a respected maker of high-quality, versatile products into a company that makes "cheap disposable crap", only without the cheap part?

That's certainly what it looks like! Some examples:

- Screens held on with GLUE??
- No VESA mount for the iMacs
- Non-user replaceable hard drives on both models, and memory too on the smaller one
- Completely non-user-serviceable batteries in most mobile products (you can still swap the battery relatively easily in the iPhone and non-retina Macbook Pros but how long until the latter are discontinued?)

There's more... but it's disappointing. I wouldn't mind if there was a price reduction to coincide with increased product "cheapness" but it's all expensive as ever.
So they are cheap because they are using industrial epoxy instead of screws and it's too difficult for you to cheaply go into the machine and tinker? Sounds like something a little more low-end from HP might be more appropriate for you, since cost is clearly a consideration. Having unnecessary loose parts like tiny screws is not inherently superior.
Kaibelf is offline   7 Reply With Quote
Old Dec 21, 2012, 07:51 AM   #16
Nightarchaon
macrumors 65816

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kaibelf View Post
Having unnecessary loose parts like tiny screws is not inherently superior.
Using GLUE on consumer electronics, in fact, on an item which will get hot during use and break down the glue over time, is crap and badly thought out..

I see peoples screens falling out of these iMacs after they have been used for a year and half, and your only option will be to re-glue.

Magnets would have been, and have already been used as, a more intelligent, inherently superior solution, glue is just cost cutting to up the profit margin.

Screws would have been an inherently superior choice over GLUE... glue is NEVER the best option, glue degrades over time with environmental factors, screws do not.
Old Dec 21, 2012, 07:58 AM   #17
nStyle
macrumors 6502a

A little off topic but I disagree with the new iMacs looking "better". The "old" iMacs are still relatively thin and I highly doubt that there will be anywhere you can fit the new 27" in that you somehow couldn't do with the "old" 27". The experience is still the exact same for the user, as they still haven't cut down on the obtrusively large black bezel. If anything, these things would be more compact if they didn't have to have such a large bezel. 27" is more like 32" with Apple.
nStyle is offline   2 Reply With Quote
Old Dec 21, 2012, 09:05 AM   #18
Brian Y
macrumors 68020

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nightarchaon View Post
Using GLUE on consumer electronics, in fact, on an item which will get hot during use and break down the glue over time, is crap and badly thought out..

I see peoples screens falling out of these iMacs after they have been used for a year and half, and your only option will be to re-glue.

Magnets would have been, and have already been used as, a more intelligent, inherently superior solution, glue is just cost cutting to up the profit margin.

Screws would have been an inherently superior choice over GLUE... glue is NEVER the best option, glue degrades over time with environmental factors, screws do not.
So where do you suggest they screw the screen into? Logic tells you that if you want the glass/LCD to be a single unit, and the rear housing to be unibody, there can be no screws.

Apple have ALWAYS put design over practicality - if you see one of the new iMacs in the flesh, the first thing you'll say is "Wow that's thin". Nevermind that it's not much thinner in the middle than the old one, and the footprint is the same - it looks striking, that's what Apple have always done (and quite frankly, what they do best).

The % of people who open the iMacs is incredibly small - and to be honest, I'd rather have to heat some glue, than have to spend an hour removing dust from between the LCD and glass. Same goes for the VESA mount - in ~ 2 years servicing iMacs - I've seen one person who has it mounted - myself.
Brian Y is offline   1 Reply With Quote
Old Dec 21, 2012, 12:06 PM   #19
mdelvecchio
macrumors 68020

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nightarchaon View Post

so where did you get your manufacturing & engineering degrees from? what company do you produce for? where can we see your products?

orrrrr are you just some dude on the interwebs who doesnt know squat about squat but likes to punch out his rage on the keyboard?
mdelvecchio is offline   2 Reply With Quote
Old Dec 21, 2012, 08:32 AM   #20
thekev
macrumors 603

Quote:
Give me a break. I find someone who mounts a computer on a wall the way that picture shows to be FAR weirder than the 99.9999% who leave an iMac on a desk and prefer it to look nice. You act as if people never rearrange their homes.
VESA is the only way to get a height adjustable imac or use it with an lcd arm increasing the freedom of placement. If you're going to respond in a condescending tone again, try to be better informed.
Old Dec 21, 2012, 08:53 AM   #21
toke lahti
macrumors 65816

"Hardly no-one was buying VESA-mounts anynore..."
"But we might re-introduce the magical VESA-mount again in the next model, if there's enough interest to it and not enough interest without it. Anyway you'll have to buy new imac, when current model's hdd runs out of warranty..."
5matteScreen&higherRez 13" 6lightport 7another fw(through ec ok)
8 10G-ethernet 9 xMac:desktopCPU+GPU,free pci-e,2 int. hdd
toke lahti is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Dec 25, 2012, 05:34 PM   #22
Dagless
macrumors Core

Quote:
Having unnecessary loose parts like tiny screws is not inherently superior.
Except in the case of computers, yeah, it is better. We're not talking about a device you fondle every day. Short of touching the power button I don't think I've ever touched my iMac and I've certainly never seen screws, despite them existing on it (I assume they're hidden amongst the grill under the computer).
Old Dec 20, 2012, 05:55 PM   #23
haruhiko
macrumors 68030

Quote:
Originally Posted by Andy-V View Post
The height of those iMac's on the wall looks uncomfortable.
It's way too high and may cause neck problems.
Old Dec 20, 2012, 06:01 PM   #24
bflowers
macrumors 6502

Old news MacRumors, we've known and discussed this since the first 27" iMac arrived in user's hands.
bflowers is offline   1 Reply With Quote
Old Dec 20, 2012, 06:05 PM   #25
lucidmedia
macrumors 6502a

While the recent imacs support VESA, they did not for a long time. Apple's history is spotty about this type of mounting, so I had no expectation that the new imac would be supported.
lucidmedia is offline   0 Reply With Quote

MacRumors Forums > News and Article Discussion > Mac Blog Discussion