Go Back   MacRumors Forums > iPhone, iPod and iPad > iPhone

Old Dec 21, 2012, 12:21 AM   #1
iMas70
macrumors 6502a

Good Christmas For My Daughter - iPhone 5!

Santa will be bringing my 13 year old daughter a white iPhone 5. This will be her first iDevice and first real phone. She wanted an iPod. For the price of that, the phone is a better choice and it will do so much more! Looking forward to seeing her gifts Christmas Day!
Old Dec 21, 2012, 12:25 AM   #2
SomeDudeAsking
macrumors 65816

Did you check the phone to see if it is scuffed or nicked? There's been a lot of those.
SomeDudeAsking is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Dec 21, 2012, 07:05 PM   #3
dukebound85
macrumors P6

Quote:
Originally Posted by SomeDudeAsking View Post
Did you check the phone to see if it is scuffed or nicked? There's been a lot of those.
yea, not quite sure how this is relevant to the thread's topic

Quote:
Originally Posted by jessica. View Post
OP, ignore this:

Yes, some have had microscopic cosmetic issues and if there is actually an issue you can see with the naked eye then you can exchange. This site is the worst when it comes to deciding whether or not there is a widespread issue with anything Apple-related.

That is a nice gift. My nephew is about her age and call me old, but it has been decided that he is too young for a smart phone.
Indeed, not sure why he posted that
dukebound85 is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Dec 21, 2012, 07:07 PM   #4
numberforty1
macrumors 6502

Quote:
Originally Posted by dukebound85 View Post
yea, not quite sure how this is relevant to the thread's topic
I bought a phone as a gift, and the carrier offers a 14 day return only. i got the phone like a month ago, so I HAD to open it and inspect it. I can see how it's relevant if you're gifting it passed the return date.
Old Dec 21, 2012, 12:26 AM   #5
SnowLeopard OSX
macrumors 6502a

Quote:
Originally Posted by iMas70 View Post
Santa will be bringing my 13 year old daughter a white iPhone 5. This will be her first iDevice and first real phone. She wanted an iPod. For the price of that, the phone is a better choice and it will do so much more! Looking forward to seeing her gifts Christmas Day!
Your daughter's lucky to have such a thoughtful parent

Merry Christmas!
iPhone |4S White/16GB/ iOS 7.0|3G White/16GB iOS 8.0
SnowLeopard OSX is offline   8 Reply With Quote
Old Dec 21, 2012, 12:39 AM   #6
AFDoc
macrumors 68000

Cool..... Why exactly are you telling us?
AFDoc is offline   35 Reply With Quote
Old Dec 21, 2012, 12:49 AM   #7
iMas70
macrumors 6502a

That I am leading my daughter into the wonderful world of Apple products! . She's used my stuff once in awhile. Now I can thoroughly teach her on her own and maybe get her into some other products later. A lot of the local schools use Macs and some will be having the students use iPads instead of books.

Testing my luck with a sealed box. Hoping everything is good in there!
Old Dec 21, 2012, 12:53 AM   #8
mentaluproar
macrumors 68000

School adoption of iPad is amazing. I'm going back to college in the spring and they told me most books are GIVEN out in PDFs to students.

I still doubt I heard that right.
Old Dec 21, 2012, 12:55 AM   #9
internetguy
macrumors newbie

you know kids might try to steel her...
internetguy is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Dec 21, 2012, 04:36 AM   #10
gmanist1000
macrumors 68020

Quote:
Originally Posted by mentaluproar View Post
School adoption of iPad is amazing. I'm going back to college in the spring and they told me most books are GIVEN out in PDFs to students.

I still doubt I heard that right.
HAHAHAHAH. Do you know how much money a school would lose if they gave out free books?

My school charges at least $60 for a basic book. An algebra book is more like $130
gmanist1000 is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Dec 23, 2012, 10:42 PM   #11
Maverick713
macrumors 6502

Quote:
That I am leading my daughter into the wonderful world of Apple products! . She's used my stuff once in awhile. Now I can thoroughly teach her on her own and maybe get her into some other products later. A lot of the local schools use Macs and some will be having the students use iPads instead of books.

Testing my luck with a sealed box. Hoping everything is good in there!
isn't facebook a better venue?
and like 6 or 7 sold products: p
Maverick713 is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Dec 23, 2012, 11:28 PM   #12
iMas70
macrumors 6502a

Quote:
Originally Posted by Maverick713 View Post
isn't facebook a better venue?
I figured this post is worth at least the same as the 50 or so that we read here in September that said "I ordered my iPhone 5, can't wait to get it" or, "What color iPhone did you get?" . Not knocking those, but not all posts here are tech related. Plus, not only am I excited about getting my daughter a tech item for Christmas that most of the people here appreciate, she'll also be someone that appreciates having it! And someday, when the iPhone 35 is out, she might be here reminiscing about the day her Dad bought her first iPhone and posting about buying one for her son/daughter...
Old Dec 24, 2012, 12:22 PM   #13
sawah
macrumors 6502a

There is quite a lot of posts in here telling the OP how pathetic it is. His daughter sounds like a very responsible young lady who takes care of her stuff. You're not the parents and it's really not for any of you to judge whether she's responsible enough. My kids are 9 and 5. Our 9 year old has a galaxy tab, and our 5 year old has an ipod touch. Christmas morning they will be replaced by iPad minis. They've had the others for almost 3 years and they are still in perfect condition. They've proven responsible with them and understand they need to be taken care of. Some kids are responsible with electronics and some aren't. They are well aware if they are broken they won't be replaced. Say it's pathetic and they are too young all you want. They have learned responsibility from owning them. Sorry but no different from the things that you got bought when you were younger - nintendos, flip phones, cd players, whatever.

They do well in school, they're polite kids. If they're not, they lose privileges. There's nothing wrong with rewarding them. They don't spend 24 hours a day playing video games and they do their homework after school. They have other toys, they play outside, they are both in Hockey, they play with friends. It's just a tool like anything else. When they get a little older they can learn more responsibility by saving and buying their own devices.
Old Dec 25, 2012, 10:13 PM   #14
Myiphone7
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by AFDoc View Post
Cool..... Why exactly are you telling us?
That she's excited that her daughter is joining the apple iPhone community obviously
Myiphone7 is offline   1 Reply With Quote
Old Dec 21, 2012, 01:01 AM   #15
AppleBoyFreak
macrumors 6502

I think she'll definitely appreciate it. I got my first iPhone back when I was 12. It was like 3 months after the iPhone 3GS was launched and that's the one I got. Only difference is that I actually had to save my money for mine lol. Intact I still save my money for every iPhone update.
Old Dec 21, 2012, 01:10 AM   #16
tymaster50
macrumors 68030

Damn, kids grow up fast these days, when I was thirteen about 4 years ago in 2008 I was in my 8th grade year of middle school and I was still playing pokemon occasionally. someone stole my iPod touch and it was hard enough convincing my mom to get me an iPhone.I had a little red prepaid samsung phone for T-Mobile I think lmao even though my mom is on AT&T. I barely even used the phone, I didn't even know the number for it.
tymaster50 is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Dec 21, 2012, 07:00 PM   #17
dukebound85
macrumors P6

Quote:
Originally Posted by tymaster50 View Post
Damn, kids grow up fast these days, when I was thirteen about 4 years ago in 2008 I was in my 8th grade year of middle school and I was still playing pokemon occasionally. someone stole my iPod touch and it was hard enough convincing my mom to get me an iPhone.I had a little red prepaid samsung phone for T-Mobile I think lmao even though my mom is on AT&T. I barely even used the phone, I didn't even know the number for it.
you speak as if you are not still a kid yourself lol
dukebound85 is offline   3 Reply With Quote
Old Dec 21, 2012, 07:30 PM   #18
tymaster50
macrumors 68030

Quote:
Originally Posted by dukebound85 View Post
you speak as if you are not still a kid yourself lol
Legally yes I am, to everyone else I look like a fully grown adult lol
Old Dec 21, 2012, 01:11 AM   #19
dinggus
Banned

Quote:
Your daughter is 13.. Let's be realistic here, when I was 13, I had a pager.

I hope she still doesn't believe in Santa.

Quote:
Originally Posted by AppleBoyFreak View Post
I think she'll definitely appreciate it. I got my first iPhone back when I was 12. It was like 3 months after the iPhone 3GS was launched and that's the one I got. Only difference is that I actually had to save my money for mine lol. Intact I still save my money for every iPhone update.
I'm not going to hate, but at least you saved up for it. You learn to appreciate things better and as you grow up you understand money management.
dinggus is offline   1 Reply With Quote
Old Dec 27, 2012, 01:42 AM   #20
Chuchichan
macrumors 6502

Quote:
Originally Posted by dinggus View Post

I'm not going to hate, but at least you saved up for it. You learn to appreciate things better and as you grow up you understand money management.
When I was 13 I had a pad and pencil.
Chuchichan is offline   1 Reply With Quote
Old Dec 27, 2012, 05:15 PM   #21
Rocko1
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chuchichan View Post
When I was 13 I had a pad and pencil.
Yeah, and when your dad was a kid polio and small pox killed and crippled thousands of people each year.
Rocko1 is offline   4 Reply With Quote
Old Dec 27, 2012, 05:41 PM   #22
meistervu
macrumors 6502a

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rocko1 View Post
Yeah, and when your dad was a kid polio and small pox killed and crippled thousands of people each year.
And there were more open space, more fish in the sea, fewer endangered species.
Old Dec 21, 2012, 01:13 AM   #23
Jordan921
macrumors 68030

Damn that's so nice of you.
Jordan921 is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Dec 21, 2012, 01:29 AM   #24
teejaysyke
macrumors member

Damn, I didn't have a cell phone until I was 16 and I'm 20 (going to be 21 now) and I'm not getting my first iPhone until Sunday...

She's lucky, make sure she takes care of it.
teejaysyke is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Dec 21, 2012, 01:39 AM   #25
tymaster50
macrumors 68030

Quote:
Originally Posted by dinggus View Post

Quote:
Originally Posted by teejaysyke View Post
Damn, I didn't have a cell phone until I was 16 and I'm 20 (going to be 21 now) and I'm not getting my first iPhone until Sunday...

She's lucky, make sure she takes care of it.
Listen to these guys. And you're gonna have to break it to her soon that there is no santa. If she's old enough for an iPhone then she's old enough to know. Unless you're one of those parents that needlessly baby their kids and believe they can do no wrong and everything they do is a gift from god lol

MacRumors Forums > iPhone, iPod and iPad > iPhone