Go Back   MacRumors Forums > Apple Hardware > Apple TV and Home Theater

Old Dec 21, 2012, 12:04 PM   #1
iOrbit
macrumors 6502

Handbrake question + Subler

i finally added my library of films to my itunes movies. but i realised while doing the last one today, that while doing all the settings the way i wanted for the visual and subtitle side of things, i have overlooked Audio.

i havent touched the bitrate of audio nor did i realise you could change the mixdown!

i wanted to keep my films 5.1 surround sound as originally were, but iv been encoding these with the Dolby pro logic II mix down.

does this mean i'v lost all the surround sound 5.1 mixes for the films? can i get them back in anyway?
Old Dec 21, 2012, 12:17 PM   #2
mic j
macrumors 68020

Quote:
Originally Posted by iOrbit View Post
i finally added my library of films to my itunes movies. but i realised while doing the last one today, that while doing all the settings the way i wanted for the visual and subtitle side of things, i have overlooked Audio.

i havent touched the bitrate of audio nor did i realise you could change the mixdown!

i wanted to keep my films 5.1 surround sound as originally were, but iv been encoding these with the Dolby pro logic II mix down.

does this mean i'v lost all the surround sound 5.1 mixes for the films? can i get them back in anyway?
Were you using a preset or your own settings?
Old Dec 21, 2012, 12:38 PM   #3
iOrbit
macrumors 6502

Quote:
Originally Posted by mic j View Post
Were you using a preset or your own settings?
i customized a preset i think.

i select apple tv 3 preset, and then change some settings, as follows:

set video to strict aspect.

set video quality to 18.5 (differs some times)

set the frame rate to same as source.

subtitles if applicable, i do burned in PGS subs.
Old Dec 21, 2012, 12:46 PM   #4
mic j
macrumors 68020

Quote:
i customized a preset i think.

i select apple tv 3 preset, and then change some settings, as follows:

set video to strict aspect.

set video quality to 18.5 (differs some times)

set the frame rate to same as source.

subtitles if applicable, i do burned in PGS subs.
If you used the aTV preset, with only the adjustments you have noted, it should have created 2 tracks, AAC Dolby Prologic II and AC3 passthrough (or 6-channel discrete if source is DTS). Have you checked with MediaInfo or Subler to see if both tracks are there?

Also, no need to set framerate as "same as source". HB will do that as part of the preset. The 30 fps value in the box is simply a maximum value to match the spec's of the aTV3. I might also like to suggest checking "Web Optimize" as that will enhance streaming ability.
Old Dec 21, 2012, 01:14 PM   #5
iOrbit
macrumors 6502

Quote:
Originally Posted by mic j View Post
If you used the aTV preset, with only the adjustments you have noted, it should have created 2 tracks, AAC Dolby Prologic II and AC3 passthrough (or 6-channel discrete if source is DTS). Have you checked with MediaInfo or Subler to see if both tracks are there?

Also, no need to set framerate as "same as source". HB will do that as part of the preset. The 30 fps value in the box is simply a maximum value to match the spec's of the aTV3. I might also like to suggest checking "Web Optimize" as that will enhance streaming ability.
ah shoot. so there was a handy setting for something im using often.. streaming. all my movies are on a nas. from my experience, most the time, they play the whole film without an issue. but sometimes, particularly when wanting to revisit a favourite scene or two, it can start 'buffering'. can i web optimise these still without re encoding the whole thing?

i just put one in subler, and im seeing something that always confused me:

i see 7 tracks for this particular video, only two boxes are checked - track 1, and track 2. called Video track and Stereo. video being h.264 and audio being AAC 2 ch. track 3 is called Surround! and its AC-3, 6 ch. 4 is stereo, matching track 2,, 6 is video track, jpeg, - is that subtitles? i dont even remember if i put any one this one. last track is chapter track.

does this mean iv still got the original 5.1 surround sounds for my videos?

i noticed opening the video in vlc, i can play the surround file, but not in itunes (greyed out). it definitely sounds different, but without a 5.1 surround sound system i can't tell if its true 5.1, or just dolby pro logic II (i admit i know nothing about these things).

i just googled the web optimise, based on what i read, someone says it prevents the streaming playback from taking longer to begin playing - thats definitely something i noticed but never been bothered about - it takes about a second or 2 to begin playing. am i missing out on general streaming performance through out the film? thats the part that would concern me most.
Old Dec 21, 2012, 01:19 PM   #6
dynaflash
macrumors 68020

yes, Optimize in Subler does the exact same thing as "Web Optimized" does in HB, so you can do that in subler without re-encoding.

if you have both an aac stereo track and a Surround track, you have preserved your surround sound. Sounds like you are ok.
dynaflash is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Dec 21, 2012, 01:43 PM   #7
mic j
macrumors 68020

Quote:
ah shoot. so there was a handy setting for something im using often.. streaming. all my movies are on a nas. from my experience, most the time, they play the whole film without an issue. but sometimes, particularly when wanting to revisit a favourite scene or two, it can start 'buffering'. can i web optimise these still without re encoding the whole thing?

i just put one in subler, and im seeing something that always confused me:

i see 7 tracks for this particular video, only two boxes are checked - track 1, and track 2. called Video track and Stereo. video being h.264 and audio being AAC 2 ch. track 3 is called Surround! and its AC-3, 6 ch. 4 is stereo, matching track 2,, 6 is video track, jpeg, - is that subtitles? i dont even remember if i put any one this one. last track is chapter track.

does this mean iv still got the original 5.1 surround sounds for my videos?

i noticed opening the video in vlc, i can play the surround file, but not in itunes (greyed out). it definitely sounds different, but without a 5.1 surround sound system i can't tell if its true 5.1, or just dolby pro logic II (i admit i know nothing about these things).

i just googled the web optimise, based on what i read, someone says it prevents the streaming playback from taking longer to begin playing - thats definitely something i noticed but never been bothered about - it takes about a second or 2 to begin playing. am i missing out on general streaming performance through out the film? thats the part that would concern me most.
What Dynaflash said, plus...

Track 1 is the video
Track 2 is the stereo (will provide synthetic surround with capable receiver)
Track 3 is surround sound (Dolby Digital 5.1)
Track 4 not sure but could be like director's commentary or something which you can probably get rid of (check what it is in VLC)
Track 5 not sure (check in mediainfo or vlc)
Track 6 is chapter pictures
Track 7 is chapters

The only tracks you need for basic playing are 1,2,3,6,7

Optimization moves an "atom" in the file that contains file information used for playback from the end of the file to the front. Doing that allows the file to start playing before it is fully loaded. It really doesn't do anything for streaming consistency once the file has started. Just good practice to do as it doesn't hurt anything and I feel it's effects are more noticeable on the large BR files than regular dvds.

MacRumors Forums > Apple Hardware > Apple TV and Home Theater