Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

mpt-matthew

macrumors regular
Original poster
Aug 11, 2010
Ok, I can't write java, and i would like a bookmarklet to do a simple task.

I want it to amend the URL of the current page and refresh it.
Basically, it's to add my University E-Proxy to a URL, so i can quickly access a journal.

E.g.

Original URL is: http://www.nature.com/nature/journal/vaop/ncurrent/full/nature11729.html

Changes to: http://www.nature.com.ezproxy4.lib.le.ac.uk/nature/journal/vaop/ncurrent/full/nature11729.html

Notice, ".ezproxy4.lib.le.ac.uk" is added after the root website.
It should then forward to a login page.
I would like a bookmarklet to add this automatically for me please.

This would be really helpful thanks!

mpt-matthew

macrumors regular
Original poster
Aug 11, 2010
Ok, so I didn't want to learn java as it would take me way too much time for something that is meant to be saving me time.
I would love to learn it, but I just don't have the time right now.

But. I managed to do what i want with this code.
It basically involved finding the URL for the prefix instead of the insert, then using the following javascript to insert the prefix.

Code:
javascript:void(location.href=%22http://ezproxy4.lib.le.ac.uk/login?url=%22+location.href);

Last edited by a moderator:

larswik

macrumors 68000
Sep 8, 2006
Sounds to me your best bet is to hire someone to help you out. It is unlikely you will ever find someone to do this for free for you. People take time out to learn this stuff and pay to go to school or invest many hour reading and training. For them to spend many hours making something for you because you need it won't work.

I have seen a number of sites that you can join and ask for what you need and get bids back on how much it would cost to do it for you. So basically you have 2 options... Learn to program and make what you need to pay someone to make it for you.

Oddly enough these questions come up here from time to time. "I need this software, please make it for me. Thanks in advance!". But I will say, since I sat down a couple years ago and started learning programming, it is very addictive and I enjoy it a lot. You might too if you start.

Good luck!

mpt-matthew

macrumors regular
Original poster
Aug 11, 2010
Sounds to me your best bet is to hire someone to help you out. It is unlikely you will ever find someone to do this for free for you. People take time out to learn this stuff and pay to go to school or invest many hour reading and training. For them to spend many hours making something for you because you need it won't work.

I have seen a number of sites that you can join and ask for what you need and get bids back on how much it would cost to do it for you. So basically you have 2 options... Learn to program and make what you need to pay someone to make it for you.

Oddly enough these questions come up here from time to time. "I need this software, please make it for me. Thanks in advance!". But I will say, since I sat down a couple years ago and started learning programming, it is very addictive and I enjoy it a lot. You might too if you start.

Good luck!

Yeh, I gather this now.
When i posted the question i thought it was a really simple task for someone who knows javascript. Just like if someone asked me "can you make this text flash in HTML".

Often people do do stuff like this for free though so it was worth a try.

I have it sorted now though.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.