Register FAQ / Rules Forum Spy Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read
Go Back   MacRumors Forums > News and Article Discussion > MacRumors.com News Discussion

Old Dec 22, 2012, 03:22 PM   #1
MacRumors
macrumors bot

Auxo Shows Off a Redesigned iOS App Switcher

Apple has spent little focus updating its iOS app switcher since it was introduced with iOS 4, so designer @Sentry_NC decided to try his hand at a new concept for app switching.

In October, he created a mockup on The Verge forums of an iOS app switcher that takes advantage of the iPhone 5's elongated screen, providing easy access to settings and additional app management tools.

Though it was originally designed as just a concept, the Auxo iOS app switcher has now become a reality as a jailbreak tweak after Sentry teamed up with two app developers.

Auxo's design allows users to control apps with intuitive touch gestures. For example, sliding down on an app closes it, while swiping left reveals both music controls and toggle controls for adjusting brightness and turning Wi-Fi on and off. The video below, from iDownloadBlog, demonstrates how Auxo works.

The Auxo tweak may be limited to jailbroken devices, but it serves as an impressive example of the improvements that could be made to future versions of iOS if Apple takes notice. Auxo is not currently available, but it is coming soon to Cydia for jailbroken iOS 6 devices.

Article Link: Auxo Shows Off a Redesigned iOS App Switcher
MacRumors is offline   9 Reply With Quote
Old Dec 22, 2012, 03:24 PM   #2
ECUpirate44
Banned

The iPhone 5 jailbreak can't come soon enough. This looks like something that Apple, dare I say "used to" put out.
ECUpirate44 is offline   58 Reply With Quote
Old Dec 22, 2012, 08:25 PM   #3
kockgunner
macrumors 68000

Quote:
Originally Posted by ECUpirate44 View Post
The iPhone 5 jailbreak can't come soon enough. This looks like something that Apple, dare I say "used to" put out.
This doesn't look like anything Apple has ever put out. I know people think Apple is the best company so anything "cool" seems like something Apple would have done, but Apple has never put toggles or quick access to brightness sliders except on desktops. This does however look like something Apple MAY put out.
Old Dec 22, 2012, 03:25 PM   #4
Tuan X
macrumors newbie

Me Want Now..
Tuan X is offline   16 Reply With Quote
Old Dec 22, 2012, 03:26 PM   #5
gmanist1000
macrumors 68020

This is a great implementation that I could see Apple doing. Would love to see it in iOS 7 :P
gmanist1000 is offline   24 Reply With Quote
Old Dec 22, 2012, 03:27 PM   #6
yearofthe
macrumors regular

They will soon buy it out and make it exclusive to iPhone 5S.
Old Dec 22, 2012, 03:28 PM   #7
camnchar
macrumors 6502

Send a message via AIM to camnchar
Apple needs to hire these folks.
Old Dec 22, 2012, 03:31 PM   #8
L-U-R-C-H
macrumors regular

Wow, that's way cool. Apple should hire these guys and implement these features.
Old Dec 22, 2012, 03:31 PM   #9
Bubba Satori
macrumors 68040

Wow, that's amazing innovation.
Bubba Satori is offline   11 Reply With Quote
Old Dec 22, 2012, 03:33 PM   #10
Risco
macrumors 65816

I bet he gets a nice little email from Apple offering him a job. Simply but effective, a nice play on the card system while staying true to iOS. I wonder you can reorder the cards or keep them as "stickies"?
Old Dec 22, 2012, 03:34 PM   #11
irDigital0l

Only complaint is the double tap. My iPhone 4's button is basically 50% chance of usability now. Pressing the home button so many times a day for so many years eventually wears it out.

Apparently Apple is already thinking of replacing the home button which makes sense.

http://www.patentlyapple.com/patentl...me-button.html

Hopefully we'll see this as well as haptic, virtual home button.
irDigital0l is offline   4 Reply With Quote
Old Dec 22, 2012, 03:43 PM   #12
AirThis
macrumors 6502

Great app, excellent ergonomics. The two finger delete is awesome. It would be nice to have a gesture to access multitasking in the future instead of using the home button.
Old Dec 22, 2012, 07:44 PM   #13
Mackan
macrumors 65816

Quote:
Originally Posted by camnchar View Post
I can't imagine Apple being so stagnant they need to hire people to implement something simple as this.
Mackan is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Dec 24, 2012, 10:38 AM   #14
iChrist
macrumors 65816

Quote:
Originally Posted by camnchar View Post

That would be a waste of money. The guy posted all the details in this video and it is free to try. Apple can just copy the good ideas, of which there are only a couple.

Old Dec 22, 2012, 06:12 PM   #15
WilliamLondon
macrumors 68000

Quote:
Originally Posted by yearofthe View Post
If by soon you mean 2nd half of 2013 when the new iPhone will be launched.
WilliamLondon is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Dec 24, 2012, 01:21 PM   #16
jordexj
macrumors newbie

Quote:
Originally Posted by yearofthe View Post
That's exactly what I was thinking... or they'll try to figure out a way to imitate it so they can save money... just like what they did to that app "growl" for the the mac...
jordexj is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Dec 22, 2012, 03:28 PM   #17
GoCubsGo
macrumors Nehalem

Pretty sure this is something that people have wanted more than silly Facebook integration. I really hope this comes in iOS 7, but really wish it could become much sooner.
GoCubsGo is offline   51 Reply With Quote
Old Dec 22, 2012, 04:39 PM   #18
dopeytree
macrumors regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by jessica. View Post
Pretty sure this is something that people have wanted more than silly Facebook integration. I really hope this comes in iOS 7, but really wish it could become much sooner.
I think you hit the nail on the head there!
Old Dec 22, 2012, 04:44 PM   #19
ChristianJapan
macrumors Demi-God

Wow, that's really awesome. Apple should open their wallet and buy the concept and work behind and integrate into next iOS. That's soo much better.

Well done designer and coder !
Member of MacRumors.com Folding@Home Team (#3446) & developer of the F@H Mobile Monitoring app
ChristianJapan is offline   3 Reply With Quote
Old Dec 22, 2012, 05:41 PM   #20
iRCL
macrumors 6502

Quote:
Pretty sure that I haven't even considered the app switching for the past few years along with the 99.9% of iOS users, meanwhile 99.9% of iOS users are on fb
iRCL is offline   2 Reply With Quote
Old Dec 22, 2012, 05:44 PM   #21
JS82712
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by iRCL View Post
Pretty sure that I haven't even considered the app switching for the past few years along with the 99.9% of iOS users, meanwhile 99.9% of iOS users are on fb
As far as I know, most people don't even use the Facebook integration as it ignores a lot of the user's Facebook privacy settings with regards to who can see your uploaded photos

Apple needs to stop doing halfassed features (why do I have to use both iPhoto and Photo app? Why can't I have one that's powerful for both viewing and editing photos)
JS82712 is offline   1 Reply With Quote
Old Dec 22, 2012, 05:50 PM   #22
TC03
macrumors 6502a

People need to think this through instead of just saying 'that looks cool'. Think about the essential requirements for the app switcher and see what value this tweak offers. Do that, and you'll see no additional value is offered.

- The tiles don't provide information an app icon does not show. In stead, things look more confusing/clustered)
- Music controls are still in the same place, they just look different
- The settings toggles require four or five interactions (click home button (2x), swipe (2x), scroll (optional), tap toggle). This is not less than it currently is (press home button, tap settings, tap menu entry, tap toggle).

So, this tweak is not quicker at all and has no significant improvement. Even worse, it looks less clean and more clustered.

If you want to improve iOS, develop an understanding of the goals, elegance and simplicity it currently has. If you don't, you'll just ruin things that are thought through very thorougly.

Last edited by TC03; Dec 22, 2012 at 05:55 PM.
TC03 is offline   4 Reply With Quote
Old Dec 22, 2012, 05:55 PM   #23
GoCubsGo
macrumors Nehalem

Quote:
Originally Posted by iRCL View Post
Source? I think your numbers could be off.
GoCubsGo is offline   2 Reply With Quote
Old Dec 22, 2012, 05:44 PM   #24
coltman75
macrumors member

Quote:
I think that more people would rather have Facebook integration. I know a ton of people who were really happy when they updated to iOS 6 and found out they could post to facebook from the photos app and from the notification center.
coltman75 is offline   1 Reply With Quote
Old Dec 22, 2012, 05:50 PM   #25
apolloa
macrumors 68040

Quote:
This is very true however, Apple is a business and is most likely making money from that Facebook integration, a lot of money.

Personally I hate Facebook with a vengeance due to their utterly cavalier approach they take with data protection.
apolloa is offline   0 Reply With Quote

MacRumors Forums > News and Article Discussion > MacRumors.com News Discussion