Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

ECUpirate44

macrumors 603
Original poster
Mar 22, 2010
NC
Unlimited data was offered with the Verizon iPhone 4 from feb-July 2011 (I think) so the contracts expire sometime in the winter-spring-early summer of 2013. When they expire, does that mean we're going to lose the unlimited data or will we just be able to resign for 2 years and keep everything the same? I have unlimited data on my iPhone 5 now on LTE and I'm pushing 3-5GB per month :eek:

Agent OrangeZ

macrumors 68040
Mar 17, 2010
Planet Earth
Unlimited data was offered with the Verizon iPhone 4 from feb-July 2011 (I think) so the contracts expire sometime in the winter-spring-early summer of 2013. When they expire, does that mean we're going to lose the unlimited data or will we just be able to resign for 2 years and keep everything the same?

You keep unlimited data as long as you do not use your upgrade. That means if you ever want to buy a new iPhone... you can't pay $199 and keep unlimited. You have to pay the full $650 for the iPhone to be able to keep unlimited. But you don't need to sign any contracts for that... just stay month to month.

ECUpirate44

macrumors 603
Original poster
Mar 22, 2010
NC
You keep unlimited data as long as you do not use your upgrade. That means if you ever want to buy a new iPhone... you can't pay $199 and keep unlimited. You have to pay the full $650 for the iPhone to be able to keep unlimited. But you don't need to sign any contracts for that... just stay month to month.

Right, that's what I did to get the iPhone 5 (used an upgrade on someone else's line and extended their contract). I suppose then you're saying I can just resign and keep it? I'm on a family plan so not sure how that would work.

GoCubsGo

macrumors Nehalem
Feb 19, 2005
You don't "resign" when you live out your contract. You simply fulfill the terms and go on a month to month. Your plan will remain the same, per Verizon, until you buy a subsidized phone.

nyc999

macrumors regular
Sep 6, 2011
I am on vzw unlimited now with contract expiring July 2013. I have a feeling that vzw will simply stop offering unlimited thereafter. What is to stop them? They will not be bound by contract and they obviously want to maximize profits.

Applejuiced

macrumors Westmere
Apr 16, 2008
At the iPhone hacks section.
I am on vzw unlimited now with contract expiring July 2013. I have a feeling that vzw will simply stop offering unlimited thereafter. What is to stop them? They will not be bound by contract and they obviously want to maximize profits.

Doubt it.
If you don't get a subsidy they won't just remove your data plan cause your contract is over.

nyc999

macrumors regular
Sep 6, 2011
Doubt it.
If you don't get a subsidy they won't just remove your data plan cause your contract is over.

I feel that they will probably switch me to a tiered plan (month to month). After all, isn't their goal to get rid of unlimited? If they let me keep my month to month, I will be pleasantly surprised.

macher

macrumors 68040
Oct 13, 2012
I feel that they will probably switch me to a tiered plan (month to month). After all, isn't their goal to get rid of unlimited? If they let me keep my month to month, I will be pleasantly surprised.

I am testing a VZW unlimited line that has been out of contract for a while. I recently bought a VZW iPhone 5 for $300. (I have an AT&T 4 line family plan with each line having UL data).

I have to admit that I'm somewhat hesitant since this line is out of contract because since it's out of contract VZW has the right to change the data. They also have the right when under contract but that's more less likely to change plan when under contract.

SpyderBite

macrumors 65816
Oct 4, 2011
Xanadu
Man, I'd hate to live in a world where wifi was limited and I was forced to cling to an unlimited data plan as my only source of mobile Internet access. :p

Voluntarily gave up two unlimited lines and switched my family share plan to a 4gb share everything plan this month.

With wifi everywhere the most data used on any of the 4 lines on my plan was 500mb.

andyx3x

macrumors 65816
Mar 1, 2011

You're right. Eventually they are going to make everyone who is still on unlimited data switch to something else. They're not going to offer it indefinitely.

macher

macrumors 68040
Oct 13, 2012
Is there a precedent on something like this, has AT&T forced folks off of there old ones.

I have an AT&T family plan each line has unlimited LTE data. When you upgrade at subsidized pricing you're able to keep unlimited data and you also extend your contract for 2 years. The advantage to this is although AT&T has the right to change your plan even in contract, it's highly unlikely they will since you're in a contract unless you do something that violates the ToS.

With VZW if you're on unlimited and want to keep unlimited you can't sign on a 2 year agreement, you're month to month out of contract.

I feel more comfortable being in a 2 year contract with unlimited data then being on month to month.

I've been contemplating switching to VZW as I have an opportunity to get a 4 line VZW family plan for free with grandfathered UL. All 4 lines are out of contract.

Last edited:

bogatyr

macrumors 65816
Mar 13, 2012
You're right. Eventually they are going to make everyone who is still on unlimited data switch to something else. They're not going to offer it indefinitely.

They already are offering it indefinitely since there is no sunset date set for it. Indefinitely means no announced end with the possibility of forever. It doesn't mean forever.

macher

macrumors 68040
Oct 13, 2012
They already are offering it indefinitely since there is no sunset date set for it. Indefinitely means no announced end with the possibility of forever. It doesn't mean forever.

My opinion is VZW will start implementing network management/ throttling. It would be a drastic move to kick everyone off UL.

ECUpirate44

macrumors 603
Original poster
Mar 22, 2010
NC
My opinion is VZW will start implementing network management/ throttling. It would be a drastic move to kick everyone off UL.

The FCC would have to change regulations on 4G network throttling before that could happen.

HankHowdy

macrumors 68040
Dec 2, 2012
Victorville CA
There isn't FCC ruling where VZW can't implement network management.

Yes, the FCC states that verizon LTE cannot be throttled. Verizon LTE falls with in a untouchable frequency according to the FCC. AT&T does not and that's why it's throttled after 5 gigs are used.

macher

macrumors 68040
Oct 13, 2012
Yes, the FCC states that verizon LTE cannot be throttled. Verizon LTE falls with in a untouchable frequency according to the FCC. AT&T does not and that's why it's throttled after 5 gigs are used.

That's false. Read the FCC ruling. VZW states their policy in their site.

http://m-support.verizonwireless.com/information/data_disclosure.html

Does Network Optimization apply to customers using 4G services?
No. We reserve the right to include 4G LTE users later, but right now this only applies to the top 5% of users with unlimited data plans using 3G devices. If you have a 4G LTE device you will not be affected at this time.

ECUpirate44

macrumors 603
Original poster
Mar 22, 2010
NC
That's false. Read the FCC ruling.

No. We reserve the right to include 4G LTE users later, but right now this only applies to the top 5% of users with unlimited data plans using 3G devices. If you have a 4G LTE device you will not be affected at this time.

So basically Verizon says not right now because of the FCC ruling but if anything changes, we reserve the right to throttle 4g.

macher

macrumors 68040
Oct 13, 2012
So basically Verizon says not right now because of the FCC ruling but if anything changes, we reserve the right to throttle 4g.

As VZW policy says it doesn't include 4G devices AT THIS TIME but they say they reserve the right to include 4G devices later.

macher

macrumors 68040
Oct 13, 2012

Has nothing to do with the FCC ruling, VZW said what they said. VZW nowhere says anything about any FCC ruling because it's false that the FCC says VZW can't throttle.

VZW has made it clear that they can and may throttle in the future.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.