Go Back   MacRumors Forums > iPhone, iPod and iPad > iPad

Old Dec 23, 2012, 05:13 PM   #1
rowspaxe
macrumors 6502a

Mini outselling iPad 2 to 1

http://www.businessinsider.com/ipad-mini-sales-2012-12

Anyone who has spent any time in an apple store this holiday will not be surprised by this. All the action is around the minis
rowspaxe is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Dec 23, 2012, 05:19 PM   #2
irDigital0l

iPad Mini starts at $330

iPad starts at $500

Yup.
irDigital0l is offline   19 Reply With Quote
Old Dec 23, 2012, 05:37 PM   #3
joshwithachance
macrumors 65816

I wouldn't doubt it.
Old Dec 23, 2012, 05:43 PM   #4
Batavian
macrumors 6502

I don't doubt this one bit. It's the hottest gift this holiday season.
Old Dec 24, 2012, 05:18 AM   #5
WilliamLondon
macrumors 68000

Quote:
Originally Posted by irDigital0l View Post
iPad Mini starts at $330

iPad starts at $500

Yup.
Really?

If it was like this:

iPad starts at $300

iPad mini starts at $500

I'd still have bought my mini. Honestly. I value form factor over price, funny that, and I'll bet a lot of other people do too. If it was price alone that decided it, Android tablets would be far outselling the mini (and the full sized iPad for that matter).
WilliamLondon is offline   2 Reply With Quote
Old Dec 24, 2012, 01:37 PM   #6
irDigital0l

Quote:
Originally Posted by WilliamLondon View Post
Really?

If it was like this:

iPad starts at $300

iPad mini starts at $500

I'd still have bought my mini. Honestly. I value form factor over price, funny that, and I'll bet a lot of other people do too. If it was price alone that decided it, Android tablets would be far outselling the mini (and the full sized iPad for that matter).
Yes, really.

Go to Apple's website if you think those prices aren't right.

----------

Quote:
Originally Posted by m00min View Post
Yep. I sold my iPad 3 to upgrade to an iPad Mini purely because I wanted a smaller device. If there's a choice I will always go for the smaller form factor, it's why I have an MBA 11" rather than a 13", and why, if I was going to swap to an Android phone, I'd make sure not to buy one with an oversized screen.
LOL smaller does not equal better.

Portability does not equal better.
irDigital0l is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Dec 24, 2012, 02:04 PM   #7
SeanR1
macrumors 6502

Quote:

hmm she thinks differently ****************fLHRT
SeanR1 is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Dec 24, 2012, 02:17 PM   #8
irDigital0l

Quote:
Originally Posted by SeanR1 View Post
hmm she thinks differently ****************fLHRT
lol :P
Old Dec 24, 2012, 05:22 PM   #9
WilliamLondon
macrumors 68000

Quote:
Yes, really.

----------

I think you didn't understand what I was saying - in the world upside down where the iPad price was the mini price and vice versa, I'd still buy the mini. I'm not saying smaller and more portable means better but rather perfect, because those are my criteria: small and portable, and I'll always (well, probably always) be willing to pay more to get it, if that's what is required to obtain smaller and more portable.
WilliamLondon is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Dec 24, 2012, 05:37 PM   #10
irDigital0l

Quote:
Originally Posted by WilliamLondon View Post
I think you didn't understand what I was saying - in the world upside down where the iPad price was the mini price and vice versa, I'd still buy the mini. I'm not saying smaller and more portable means better but rather perfect, because those are my criteria: small and portable, and I'll always (well, probably always) be willing to pay more to get it, if that's what is required to obtain smaller and more portable.
What if the iPad was just as light as the iPad mini while also having the thinner bezel?
Old Dec 29, 2012, 12:20 AM   #11
AdonisSMU
In Time-Out

Quote:
Yes, really.

----------

It depends...
AdonisSMU is online now   0 Reply With Quote
Old Dec 24, 2012, 09:21 AM   #12
urkel
macrumors 68020

I question how big the 9.7" iPad market actually is now that we are given a choice. But what seems to be happening here is exactly what Apple has done with the iPod. You start out by dominating a product category with an awesome, but expensive product and then you cannibalize your own marketshare with cheaper versions. iPod gets replaced by iPod Nanos. iPad gets replaced by iPad Mini.

Personally, Ive been after a smaller iPad ever since I noticed how little I carried the original 9.7" around. And now that it's here then I dont think I'd ever buy a big iPad again.
urkel is offline   3 Reply With Quote
Old Dec 23, 2012, 05:44 PM   #13
cheezeit
macrumors 6502

Plus is like half the siZe so it takes twice as many to equal one =P
cheezeit is offline   3 Reply With Quote
Old Dec 23, 2012, 06:08 PM   #14
SnowLeopard OSX
macrumors 6502a

It's cheaper.
iPhone |4S White/16GB/ iOS 7.0|3G White/16GB iOS 8.0
SnowLeopard OSX is offline   4 Reply With Quote
Old Dec 23, 2012, 06:45 PM   #15
Rogifan
macrumors G3

But it doesn't have retina. But Kindle Fire HD and Nexus 7 are cheaper (and the Fire has Dolby digital stereo speakers). iPad mini should be a dud, no?
Old Dec 23, 2012, 07:04 PM   #16
Piccio
macrumors member

It's only 1,8 inches smaller, with a better looking form factor, it still has the on its back and, most important thing, it's 170$/ cheaper.
Piccio is offline   3 Reply With Quote
Old Dec 23, 2012, 07:24 PM   #17
ReallyBigFeet
macrumors 68030

I still think most people haven't figured out Apples strategy yet. The Mini was intended to kill the iPad 2. It was their replacement strategy, and their attempt at setting the rules for competition. By introducing the Mini, they eliminate the competition from the low-end knockoffs from Android. And....it's obviously working.
Old Dec 23, 2012, 07:32 PM   #18
Sodner
macrumors 68000

I believe it. I sold my iPad 3 after a month with the Mini. To me the light weight and small size make it the Ultimate iPad.
Old Dec 23, 2012, 07:35 PM   #19
nizmoz
Banned

The weight has a lot to do with it and the size. The iPad 1-4 are just a bit heavy to hold and use for a long period of time while the Mini is the perfect size. Even though it doesn't have the "retina" it has a good screen and works fine for most uses. It is not really that much cheaper, especially when you can get the ipad 2-3 refurbs for close to the same price.
nizmoz is offline   2 Reply With Quote
Old Dec 24, 2012, 05:58 AM   #20
iapplelove
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sodner View Post
I believe it. I sold my iPad 3 after a month with the Mini. To me the light weight and small size make it the Ultimate iPad.
i can understand size and weight being a benefit for some,however slower and far worse resolution doesn't describe the ultimate ipad to me.
iapplelove is offline   6 Reply With Quote
Old Dec 24, 2012, 10:06 AM   #21
maxosx
macrumors 68020

Quote:
Originally Posted by ReallyBigFeet View Post
I still think most people haven't figured out Apples strategy yet. The Mini was intended to kill the iPad 2.
Another strategy is to bring in the Walmart crowd, with a cheaper Apple product. Apple has made no attempt to hide the fact that they are now a big box, mass market retailer. Specializing in easy to use gadgets. Just one look at their amazing success proves that as they move down market, with cheaper products, they will continue to grab even more market share. Apple wins big as usual.
maxosx is offline   1 Reply With Quote
Old Dec 26, 2012, 09:13 AM   #22
Glideslope
macrumors 68030

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rogifan View Post
But it doesn't have retina. But Kindle Fire HD and Nexus 7 are cheaper (and the Fire has Dolby digital stereo speakers). iPad mini should be a dud, no?
I see your point. However, at this point in time I really think feature sets are becoming less of the equation. Personally, I have never owned a Tablet until purchasing my Mini a few weeks ago.

The Kindle Fire is Android in a Amazon bubble. The Nexus 7 is nice, but is cheaply constructed. Neither company makes money on there 2 products.

Now, I'll admit I'm Apple bias. However I own Samsung LED TV's and Blue Ray (and still spend 95% of my time streaming HD).

The mini is honestly perfect the way it is. HD on a 7.9" is nice, but it was in no way a deal breaker for those I know with the mini. Myself included.
The mini feels like no other small tablet. The extra space with 7.9" has an amazing effect in usability, IMO. It's plenty fast, has amazing battery duration on the Wi-Fi model (ours), and a very nice display. You also join the Eco-System. That is what is driving Apples products. The Eco-System.

I've always been hesitant about Tablets. I'm a desktop person who takes a notebook to work because the MP is too heavy.

This iPad mini has completely change the way I look at gathering information, and communicating. The size, materials, and construction are perfect, and people feel, and experience that.

IMO, the mini could be a problem for the iPad 4 until the new super thin and light 5 10" (?) is out next year.

Eddy deserves all the credit for this one. Well done. The end of January call will be amazing.
Old Dec 26, 2012, 02:15 PM   #23
Infinitewisdom
macrumors 6502

Quote:
Originally Posted by Glideslope View Post
I see your point. However, at this point in time I really think feature sets are becoming less of the equation. Personally, I have never owned a Tablet until purchasing my Mini a few weeks ago.

The Kindle Fire is Android in a Amazon bubble. The Nexus 7 is nice, but is cheaply constructed. Neither company makes money on there 2 products.

Now, I'll admit I'm Apple bias. However I own Samsung LED TV's and Blue Ray (and still spend 95% of my time streaming HD).

The mini is honestly perfect the way it is. HD on a 7.9" is nice, but it was in no way a deal breaker for those I know with the mini. Myself included.
The mini feels like no other small tablet. The extra space with 7.9" has an amazing effect in usability, IMO. It's plenty fast, has amazing battery duration on the Wi-Fi model (ours), and a very nice display. You also join the Eco-System. That is what is driving Apples products. The Eco-System.

I've always been hesitant about Tablets. I'm a desktop person who takes a notebook to work because the MP is too heavy.

This iPad mini has completely change the way I look at gathering information, and communicating. The size, materials, and construction are perfect, and people feel, and experience that.

IMO, the mini could be a problem for the iPad 4 until the new super thin and light 5 10" (?) is out next year.

Eddy deserves all the credit for this one. Well done. The end of January call will be amazing.
This. All day every day.

My father, who has an iPad 2, took one look at the mini in the store and immediately commented, "then why would anyone buy the other iPad?" I pointed out the retina display and he saw the difference but it wasn't striking. Factor in a much lower price and I don't think there's any question the mini will sell better.

Keep in mind that, according to reports, Apple only ordered 10 million iPad minis for this quarter. There's still a lot of pent up demand for the device.
Infinitewisdom is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Dec 28, 2012, 09:42 PM   #24
Zetaprime
macrumors 6502

Quote:
I took the Nexus 7 route instead of the Mini. Since what I want in a small tablet is that it be comfortable to use in one hand, the Mini was out (too wide). The Nexus 7 also can play full HD videos and handle Flash content on the web (Flash not officially supported, but it is easy to 'sideload'). The Mini will let you watch 720p on youtube, but not 1080. And a 32 gig Nexus 7 is just a little more than half the price of a 32 gig Mini.
Zetaprime is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Mar 1, 2013, 10:05 AM   #25
AppleDeviceUser
macrumors 6502

Quote:
Yeah, true, but it's Apple. It has the app store and a lot more things that the Nexus 7 and Kindle Fire just don't have, plus like I said it's Apple, It just works. I don't really care about looks but I would rather be using an iPad Mini in public than one of those other cheesy devices.

MacRumors Forums > iPhone, iPod and iPad > iPad