Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

concordal

macrumors newbie
Original poster
May 28, 2012
Never seen this kind of problem before. I am unable to get to usedvictoria.com in Firefox 17 on my iMac OSX 10.7.5. I can browse to any other website except that one. Here is what I have tried:

-pinged site. and checked with other users. It IS up and running.
- tried other browsers: Chrome-No difference. Safari-No difference
- checked Hosts file.
- Repaired permissions.
- Flushed DNS cache.
- tried on MAcBook Pro. Neither Firefox 17 nor Safari worked.
- tried on IPad. Amazingly, it works under Safarai and it works under Firefox, but only on the iPad (not the desktop and not the laptop). Sheesh.

Any suggestions appreciated!

logana

macrumors 65816
Feb 4, 2006
Scotland
DNS or ISP problem ?

Works fine on Firefox 17 and Chrome for me......

No problems getting to the site at all.

concordal

macrumors newbie
Original poster
May 28, 2012
Can't Browse One Specific Site

Many thanks, logana. Best of the Season to you.

Couldn't be ISP problem, because my iPad connects to the site without a problem over the same Network using the same modem.

DNS? Tried flushing the DNS cache. No difference.

Any other suggestions welcome.

wrldwzrd89

macrumors G5
Jun 6, 2003
Solon, OH
Many thanks, logana. Best of the Season to you.

Couldn't be ISP problem, because my iPad connects to the site without a problem over the same Network using the same modem.

DNS? Tried flushing the DNS cache. No difference.

Any other suggestions welcome.
Sounds like a HOSTS file problem, perhaps. Or an overaggressive ad filter software.

concordal

macrumors newbie
Original poster
May 28, 2012
Can't Browse One Specific Site

Thanks, wrldwzrd89. Best of the Season to you.

The hosts file only has the one standard localhost entry in it.

AdBlock Plus is in Firefox but I've disabled it.

concordal

macrumors newbie
Original poster
May 28, 2012
SOLVED - Can't Browse One Specific Site

wrldwzrd89 was quite right. Overaggressive ad filter s/w was the culprit. In this case it's that $#@!)*% Peerguardian. Forgot that I even had it!

PG is not that easy to remove. For anyone else with this problem, after using something like CleanApp, be sure to go into your Login Items (System Preferences/USers & Groups/Yourname - Login Items Tab.) And remove pploader and ppagent.

Many thanks for the suggestions, guys. Hope this helps someone else.

GGJstudios

macrumors Westmere
May 16, 2008
For anyone else with this problem, after using something like CleanApp, be sure to go into your Login Items
In most cases, app removal software such as CleanApp doesn't do a thorough job of finding and removing files/folders related to deleted apps. For more information, read this and this. If you just want to delete the app, drag the .app file to the trash. No other software needed. If you want to completely remove all associated files/folders, no removal apps will do the job.

The most effective method for complete app removal is manual deletion:

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.