Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

What would you do?

• Pay $210 for the repair

Votes: 1 5.0%
  • Ignore all damages. The iPod works, anyway.

Votes: 12 60.0%
  • Buy a case and ignore the fact that it will be thicker.

Votes: 7 35.0%

• Total voters

Blackberryroid

macrumors 6502a
Original poster
Aug 8, 2012
/private/var/vm/
Let's say that you have a damaged 5th Generation 64 GB iPod tough. Dents in every corner, not obvious from afar but when close, it just bugs you whenever you look at your iPod. And at the back, there's a dent too, a huge one, as if there's a small meteor that landed on it. And scratches. Lots of scratches.

What would you do?

Namtaro

macrumors regular
Dec 4, 2011
I tend to baby my devices until the first scratch. After that scratch, I don't care about it anymore and toss it around... Still waiting for the day my Macbook gets a scratch so I don't have to baby it. I don't have the guts to scratch it on purpose either. Thinking about downgrading from a speck hardshell to a ghostshield film or something.

The only thing that I would repair is if the screen got a scratch. I can't stand a scratched screen... which is why I use screen protectors. Body scratches don't bother me once I get them. If you're bothered by them, you should get it repaired.

JJorTech

macrumors newbie
Dec 24, 2012
I automatically buy a cover, not too bulky and a screen cover. The screen cover because since the back is scratched, it will only be matter of time for the screen to get some damage too

Aug 5, 2012
Donate it for charity and then buy myself a new and updated model (if available).

That way everybody wins

ChristianVirtual

macrumors 601
May 10, 2010
日本
I automatically buy a cover, not too bulky and a screen cover. The screen cover because since the back is scratched, it will only be matter of time for the screen to get some damage too

That's what I just did today: for my new iPod Touch 5Gen I got a nice cover and screen protector (against fingerprints). Now it's ready to get placed in pockets and on the desk without being too scared.

The additional thickness don't disturb me; without cover its actually feels fragile.

Ariii

macrumors 6502a
Jan 26, 2012
Chicago
This just happened to my 5th gen after I put it in my bag :eek:. Once I can afford it, I'm replacing the top bezel, the lock switch, the screen, and clickwheel :). I'm still going to use it, of course :).

EDIT: Oops, it said iPod Touch...

Last edited:

myrtlebee

macrumors 68030
Jul 9, 2011
Maryland
Probably sell it and buy another. You should add that to your poll. The denting is one of the reasons I prefer the stainless steel back of the 4th generation (I can deal with the hairline scratches on the steel).

BugBytes

macrumors regular
Jan 31, 2011
I haven't looked at iFixit to see whether or not it would be an easy repair, but if it would be, I would consider replacing the back cover. I would also try to be more careful with it and wait for the day when I could buy a new one. Definitely wouldn't pay $210 for a cosmetic repair.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.