Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

pjny

macrumors 6502a
Original poster
Feb 18, 2010
Hi,

I got two PDFs ebooks sent from a friend and I noticed when I clicked on the file and preview opened it up on OSX 10.8.2 Littlesnitch alerted me that Finder was attempting to connect to "wallet.google.com" I blocked it and scanned the files using "Virustotal.com" which turned up negative. I've never had any attempt to connect to wallet.google.com so I'm a little suspicious.

I also recently installed Java 6 for necessary software so I'm kind of afraid I might be vulnerable.

Does anyone know if OS X is vulnerable to virus laden PDF? Should I reinstall to ensure system security?

GGJstudios

macrumors Westmere
May 16, 2008
]
Does anyone know if OS X is vulnerable to virus laden PDF? Should I reinstall to ensure system security?
There has never been a virus in the wild that can affect Mac OS X. There are a handful of trojans, which are easily avoided by practicing safe computing.

You don't need any 3rd party antivirus app to keep a Mac malware-free, as long as you practice safe computing, as described in the following link. Read the What security steps should I take? section of the Mac Virus/Malware FAQ for tips on practicing safe computing.

Weaselboy

Staff member
Jan 23, 2005
California
Hi,

I got two PDFs ebooks sent from a friend and I noticed when I clicked on the file and preview opened it up on OSX 10.8.2 Littlesnitch alerted me that Finder was attempting to connect to "wallet.google.com" I blocked it and scanned the files using "Virustotal.com" which turned up negative. I've never had any attempt to connect to wallet.google.com so I'm a little suspicious.

I also recently installed Java 6 for necessary software so I'm kind of afraid I might be vulnerable.

That is normal and part of Google's DRM on their ebooks. To view one of their ebooks you need to have access to the Internet on the device at least the first time the book is opened so Google can verify the DRM.

pjny

macrumors 6502a
Original poster
Feb 18, 2010
Thanks. It was just a PDF ebook not a DRM'ed google book. I deleted the rule and loaded it up again but the PDF did not attempt to connect to wallet.google.com. Very strange. I've never had anything try to to connect to wallet.google.com. What does that site do? Is it only for DRM or is it for buying stuff.

That is normal and part of Google's DRM on their ebooks. To view one of their ebooks you need to have access to the Internet on the device at least the first time the book is opened so Google can verify the DRM.

Weaselboy

Staff member
Jan 23, 2005
California
Thanks. It was just a PDF ebook not a DRM'ed google book. I deleted the rule and loaded it up again but the PDF did not attempt to connect to wallet.google.com. Very strange. I've never had anything try to to connect to wallet.google.com. What does that site do? Is it only for DRM or is it for buying stuff.

It is for both. As I understand it, it only accesses wallet the first time the file is opened, so I don't think your will see it contact wallet on a reopen of the same file. Off it did it on a non-DRM file though. :confused:

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.