Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

macman4291

macrumors regular
Original poster
Jul 23, 2006
Do we anticipate that there will be retina displays in the airs in future

yinz

macrumors 6502a
Apr 12, 2012
Yep, they already have one. They called it the 13" MBP with Retina Display.

MRU

macrumors Penryn
Aug 23, 2005
a better place
'Hi Dpi' (can we drop 'retina') will be in ALL products in the future.

When is down to price (look how much more expensive it made the rMBP), power consumption, and battery life.

At some point the techonlogy for better battery in a very thin case will align with a more power efficient Hi Dpi screen, and the manufacturing costs will hopefully have fallen to allow Apple and other manufacturers to rollout Hi Dpi screens in 11" & 13" MBA / Ultrabooks.

Eventually I see all Apple products with Hi Dpi screens replacing older screen technology completely and without additional increases in cost. Remember when the MBA first came out. It was extremely expensive, now (11") its their cheapest laptop. rMBP's are first gen technology that is laying the grounds for what is to come, but that first wave is always the most expensive and generally problematic (as it pushes technology often beyond its comfort zone).

skaertus

macrumors 601
Feb 23, 2009
Brazil
Just look at the front page news of MacRumors website. Supposing current LCD technology cannot be used to power a Retina MBA, IGZO displays provided by Sharp could be the answer. Retina MBAs are on the way. Samsung showcased a Series 9 model with a 2560x1440 display in August. These ultra-thin laptops with very high resolutions are not far away. They will almost certainly happen in 2013.

Johnny Alien

macrumors member
Nov 17, 2012
Yep, they already have one. They called it the 13" MBP with Retina Display.

This is the correct answer. The rMBA is already an ultraportable. Introducing a rMBA would make little sense as it would cost as much as the rMBP and probably be close to the same size. The specs on the rMBP are close to what an air is. There is nothing to differentiate the two. If someone wants a retina ultraportable there is no reason not to just buy one today. Apple makes one.

WilliamLondon

macrumors 68000
Dec 8, 2006
This is the correct answer. The rMBA is already an ultraportable. Introducing a rMBA would make little sense as it would cost as much as the rMBP and probably be close to the same size. The specs on the rMBP are close to what an air is. There is nothing to differentiate the two. If someone wants a retina ultraportable there is no reason not to just buy one today. Apple makes one.

That's not true, the MBA has an 11" model (and just over 1/2 the weight of the 13" retina), quite a differentiating factor in my mind (the 11" is the one I have and love, though I would also enjoy it with a higher resolution display). The technology, though, is indeed advancing and now with the removal of the optical drive from the MBP, I wonder if these two lines might be merged in the future because they will (I assume) at some point be able to produce an Air with rMBP specs, or looking at it the other way, an rMBP in an Air chassis (either would work for me), but I don't want to give up my 11".

Johnny Alien

macrumors member
Nov 17, 2012
That's not true, the MBA has an 11" model (and just over 1/2 the weight of the 13" retina), quite a differentiating factor in my mind (the 11" is the one I have and love, though I would also enjoy it with a higher resolution display). The technology, though, is indeed advancing and now with the removal of the optical drive from the MBP, I wonder if these two lines might be merged in the future because they will (I assume) at some point be able to produce an Air with rMBP specs, or looking at it the other way, an rMBP in an Air chassis (either would work for me), but I don't want to give up my 11".

I see the lines blurring as well. My guess is that the standard MBP line will soon lose the optical drive and become slimmer. At that point the MBA will stand where the MAcbook did before as the entry level "budget" Macbook because little other than price would be different. At that point I still think they would not have retina in an effort to keep price down. Once prices come down and tech gets better I assume that everything that Apple produces will have retina displays and they will be common place but I don't think that will be anytime soon.

macmastersam

macrumors 6502a
Sep 14, 2011
Essex, england
i doubt seeing any retina macbook airs, primarily because there is already a 13" macbook pro, and the 11" has too small a market share (out of all the macs sold) to warrant a retina display :(

yinz

macrumors 6502a
Apr 12, 2012
Would people buy an 11" MacBook Air with Retina Display? The iPad 4 is half the price and has relatively the same screen. The difference is the iPad 4 has a much better battery life...

JamesJesney

macrumors newbie
Dec 27, 2012
If they did they would have to give it a new battery because I reckon it would drain a lot faster and with it being soo thin they can't get a bigger battery in there.:eek:

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.