Register FAQ / Rules Forum Spy Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read
Go Back   MacRumors Forums > News and Article Discussion > MacRumors.com News Discussion

Old Dec 26, 2012, 08:58 PM   #1
MacRumors
macrumors bot

Apple to Move Mac mini Production to U.S.

DigiTimes reports that contrary to the early speculation, it will be the Mac mini, not the Mac Pro, that will be shifted to U.S. production.
Quote:
Apple is reportedly set to move its Mac mini production lines back to the US with Foxconn Electronics (Hon Hai Precision Industry) to be responsible of handling establishment, according to sources from the upstream supply chain.
According to the report, Foxconn already has "about 15 operating bases" in the U.S. and the company plans on recruiting workers for 2013 for new automated production lines. The Mac mini is expected to reach 1.8 million sales units in 2013, up from 1.4 million units in 2012.

During a recent interview with NBC's Brian Williams, Apple CEO Tim Cook revealed that one of the existing Mac lines will be manufactured exclusively in the United States next year. Early speculation had suggested the Mac Pro might be that Mac model due to its relatively low volume of sales.

Article Link: Apple to Move Mac mini Production to U.S.
MacRumors is offline   3 Reply With Quote
Old Dec 26, 2012, 08:59 PM   #2
Michaelgtrusa
macrumors 601

...but made by Foxconn.
Old Dec 26, 2012, 09:05 PM   #3
irmongoose
macrumors 68030

Quote:
Originally Posted by Michaelgtrusa View Post
...but made by Foxconn.
So? This doesn't contradict a word of what Cook mentioned.

An interesting question, though: Will the Mini eventually replace the Mac Pro? A server-grade Mini, same name, but new product, with thunderbolt expansion bays? I dunno, just brain-vomit at this point, but an interesting thought, nonetheless.

irmongoose
Old Dec 26, 2012, 09:07 PM   #4
iphone495
macrumors member

Good for Apple. Probably bad for AAPL.
iphone495 is offline   7 Reply With Quote
Old Dec 26, 2012, 09:07 PM   #5
MacDav
Banned

Hmm.. Counter intuitive. The Mac Pro was the obvious choice. Just goes to show that I should be running Apple instead of Tim.
MacDav is offline   4 Reply With Quote
Old Dec 26, 2012, 11:54 PM   #6
bretm
macrumors 68000

Quote:
Originally Posted by MacDav View Post
Hmm.. Counter intuitive. The Mac Pro was the obvious choice. Just goes to show that I should be running Apple instead of Tim.
Just goes to show there isn't a MacPro coming. Something maybe, but not resembling the MacPro we all know.

----------

Quote:
Originally Posted by foidulus View Post
Apple cannot "move" something to the US that has pretty much always been in the US to begin with. Every single Mac Pro I've seen(granted haven't seen any new ones in a few years) has been assembled in the USA. They are simply too bulky and too low-volume to assemble them in China then air mail them over. Mac Minis on the other hand have never been assembled in the US. Being quite light and pretty high-volume(which makes assembling large #s of them then shipping by boat economical) meant that they could be affordably assembled elsewhere.
You'll note every iMac that isn't purchased as is, but has some amount of customization (Ram upgrade, etc) says Assembled in US on it. And that's just it. Assebled means Ram inserted, screw tightened. They ship a certain number here to be customized. Those have the assembled in USA moniker on them. Probably the same for MacPro.
bretm is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Dec 27, 2012, 12:14 AM   #7
MacDav
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by bretm View Post
Just goes to show there isn't a MacPro coming. Something maybe, but not resembling the MacPro we all know.

----------

You'll note every iMac that isn't purchased as is, but has some amount of customization (Ram upgrade, etc) says Assembled in US on it. And that's just it. Assebled means Ram inserted, screw tightened. They ship a certain number here to be customized. Those have the assembled in USA moniker on them. Probably the same for MacPro.
Yeah...Well I hope you are wrong. Although you are right that the future of the MacPro isn't looking too bright. I'm hoping we get a nice surprise early in 2013. We'll know the story by the end of next year. Maybe early next year?
MacDav is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Dec 27, 2012, 12:16 AM   #8
GizmoDVD
macrumors 6502a

Quote:
Mac Pro sells what, 10 units a month? Yeah, you'd be great.
Old Dec 27, 2012, 12:56 AM   #9
MacDav
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by GizmoDVD View Post
Mac Pro sells what, 10 units a month? Yeah, you'd be great.
Apparently you failed to realize I was joking? Besides, you are quite ignorant about the MacPro. Yes, it is the most expensive box and sells the least. The last "semi-upgrade" in 2011 was selling about 25,000 units per month.
If they do a real upgrade and do it right in 2013 those numbers will at least double. All the pros who use these machines to make a living are waiting with money in hand. You wouldn't know about that would you. I know about it because I'm one of them.
MacDav is offline   3 Reply With Quote
Old Dec 27, 2012, 07:19 AM   #10
dugbug
macrumors 6502

This can't be right. The pro is such a logical choice. I wonder if a newly redesigned pro has mini-esque elements that has the supply chain speculating in the wrong direction.

Who knows. Glad to see this happen though
dugbug is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Dec 27, 2012, 03:47 AM   #11
anomie
macrumors 6502

Quote:
Yeah, please run Apple to show the world, what Apple is good at:

doing the obvious.

----------

Quote:
Originally Posted by jackal123uk View Post
A robot can certainly assemble a mini which can be broken down into about a dozen individual parts - look at a car production plant.

Nothing will be "made" in a US factory, all components will be made in the same oversees locations, shipped over and merely put together in the US by robots.
Nobody said anything different. Of course they only will put the parts together.
As if somebody would like to risk to let US workers create complex electrical circuits...

And btw: maybe YOU should look at a car production plant and then start wondering why there still are so many human workers needed.
anomie is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Dec 27, 2012, 10:31 AM   #12
HenryDJP
macrumors 68020

Quote:
I'll be switching to Windows if that happens.
HenryDJP is offline   1 Reply With Quote
Old Dec 26, 2012, 10:05 PM   #13
Glideslope
macrumors 68020

Quote:
Originally Posted by irmongoose View Post
So? This doesn't contradict a word of what Cook mentioned.

An interesting question, though: Will the Mini eventually replace the Mac Pro? A server-grade Mini, same name, but new product, with thunderbolt expansion bays? I dunno, just brain-vomit at this point, but an interesting thought, nonetheless.

irmongoose
Cube II
Old Dec 27, 2012, 01:09 AM   #14
Macman45
macrumors G5

Quote:
Originally Posted by Michaelgtrusa View Post
...but made by Foxconn.
It will be interesting to see how Foxconn handle this. Labor laws in the USA are so far removed from what is considered "The Norm" in China. Workers in the USA are not going to buy into the Foxconn ethos without it's overhaul and modification wholesale. I wonder if this is linked to Apples' so called drive to improve conditions and pay for Foxconn workers in China.
Old Dec 27, 2012, 05:05 AM   #15
Michaelgtrusa
macrumors 601

Quote:
Originally Posted by Macman45 View Post
It will be interesting to see how Foxconn handle this. Labor laws in the USA are so far removed from what is considered "The Norm" in China. Workers in the USA are not going to buy into the Foxconn ethos without it's overhaul and modification wholesale. I wonder if this is linked to Apples' so called drive to improve conditions and pay for Foxconn workers in China.
This also makes me wonder if US taxpayers are paying for this.
Old Dec 27, 2012, 05:25 AM   #16
CausticPuppy
macrumors 65816

You know what would be neat? If the future Mac Mini had two thunderbolt ports and you could daisy chain multiple minis together somehow, with a single master and multiple slaves.... So that you could have a cluster joined by 10Gb interfaces rather than gigabit Ethernet.

Why buy a single huge Mac Pro when you can buy 4 or 5 minis? And add more as needed?

Pipe dreams.....
iPad Air/iPhone5S
CausticPuppy is offline   2 Reply With Quote
Old Dec 26, 2012, 09:00 PM   #17
haruhiko
macrumors 68030

So the Mac mini has the highest margin of all Apple products.
Old Dec 26, 2012, 09:04 PM   #18
MarcusPearl
macrumors newbie

Price Hike ?

Good to hear we're making Mac's but i feel like now the price is going to go up
MarcusPearl is offline   7 Reply With Quote
Old Dec 26, 2012, 09:06 PM   #19
ChrisA
macrumors G4

Now that I know, in retrospect, it seems you don't want to move the lowest volume product to the US, you want the one that can use the most automation. Many time s avery low volume product must be hand made because it does not pay to create the high level of automation. The "Mini" is a higher volume product but it is also simple enough that robots can make it.
ChrisA is online now   5 Reply With Quote
Old Dec 26, 2012, 09:11 PM   #20
krravi
macrumors 65816

Quote:
Originally Posted by ChrisA View Post
Now that I know, in retrospect, it seems you don't want to move the lowest volume product to the US, you want the one that can use the most automation. Many time s avery low volume product must be hand made because it does not pay to create the high level of automation. The "Mini" is a higher volume product but it is also simple enough that robots can make it.
You think a robot can make a Mac Mini by itself? Then you have no idea what goes into the making of a computer or what robots can do and what humans can do.
Old Dec 26, 2012, 09:15 PM   #21
pgiguere1
macrumors 68000

Twist: The 2013 Mac mini actually is the new Mac for professionals promised by Tim Cook.
pgiguere1 is offline   11 Reply With Quote
Old Dec 27, 2012, 12:28 AM   #22
ChrisA
macrumors G4

Quote:
Originally Posted by krravi View Post
You think a robot can make a Mac Mini by itself? Then you have no idea what goes into the making of a computer or what robots can do and what humans can do.
Of cource not. I should have said "greater proportion of assembly done by robot."

The product to choose to move to the US would be the one with the highest percent of automation. And as I said, it might just be a higher volume product because the higher volume can support the high up front cost of the automation. Products built in very low numbers may not justify setting up highly automated factories.

Or just maybe if you know in advance that your NEW design will be built in the US you can design it such that there are fewer steps requiring a human. If you design a new product around the limitations of current robots then you can lower the labor cost to the point here you no longer need buck an hour labor.
ChrisA is online now   1 Reply With Quote
Old Dec 27, 2012, 01:39 PM   #23
wizard
macrumors 68040

Do we understand English????

Seriously dude to you understand the English language, he said a higher level of automation. As to what robots can do, that expands everyday. Beyond that the Mini would most likely get a complete mechanical over haul via a DFM program. That is Design for Manufacturing.

It should be pretty obvious to everybody here that the current Mini sucks with respect to assembly using either humans or machines. Refactor the machine completely for automation and you could be knocking Minis out at a rather impressive rate with few humans working in the plant.

Quote:
Originally Posted by krravi View Post
You think a robot can make a Mac Mini by itself?
A silly question considering that production lines don't have one human making a Mini. Robots can be leveraged anywhere repetive tasks are done. Sme of the newer robots and in combination with advanced visions systems can be extremely flexible when doing those tasks.
Quote:
Then you have no idea what goes into the making of a computer or what robots can do and what humans can do.
Honestly it sounds like you are the one out of touch here. The fact that the current Mini is a poor design for manufacturing doesn't mean the 2013 one will be. Apple could easily achieve a "higher level" of automation to produce a Mini with a minimal of factory workers.
wizard is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Dec 26, 2012, 09:26 PM   #24
saud0488
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by MarcusPearl View Post
Good to hear we're making Mac's but i feel like now the price is going to go up
And quality will go way down.
saud0488 is offline   5 Reply With Quote
Old Dec 26, 2012, 10:43 PM   #25
76ShovelHead
macrumors 6502

Quote:
Originally Posted by saud0488 View Post
And quality will go way down.
You couldn't be more incorrect in your assumption

Perhaps it is that you are just unaware of the conditions in these foreign factories.

Just because something was 'imported' doesn't mean it possesses some innate quality unrivaled by any of its domestic counterparts. This stereotype needs to die, and you should be ashamed of yourself not having any respect for our country.

Last edited by OllyW; Dec 27, 2012 at 04:23 AM. Reason: insults
76ShovelHead is offline   11 Reply With Quote

MacRumors Forums > News and Article Discussion > MacRumors.com News Discussion