Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

dotb

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Dec 25, 2012
I am thinking about getting a 2TB Time Capsule so that I can use Time Machine regularly - but I also want to store all of my iPhoto and iTunes stuff on an external hard drive as I have been discouraged from partitioning Time Capsule by Apple Geniuses and a few threads I have read (plus could probably use the extra space a second hard drive would afford). Can I do this? Is there a hard drive anyone would recommend? Or should I not get Time Capsule at all and try some other configuration connected to an Airport Extreme? I think 2 TB of dedicated "user" storage is all I need for the next year or so.

Any advice is appreciated.

Richdmoore

macrumors 68000
Jul 24, 2007
Troutdale, OR
I am thinking about getting a 2TB Time Capsule so that I can use Time Machine regularly - but I also want to store all of my iPhoto and iTunes stuff on an external hard drive as I have been discouraged from partitioning Time Capsule by Apple Geniuses and a few threads I have read (plus could probably use the extra space a second hard drive would afford). Can I do this? Is there a hard drive anyone would recommend? Or should I not get Time Capsule at all and try some other configuration connected to an Airport Extreme? I think 2 TB of dedicated "user" storage is all I need for the next year or so.

Any advice is appreciated.

On my airport extreme, I can plug in a USB hard drive, and use it for additional storage (although I don't believe it is recommended to use with time machine backups.)

http://pondini.org/TM/Airport.html

http://support.apple.com/kb/HT2421

You can still get the time capsule, use the whole internal hard drive for your backups. You can then hook an inexpensive USB drive to the time capsule's USB port and use the full usb hard drive for your other storage.

Last edited:

glenthompson

macrumors demi-god
Apr 27, 2011
Virginia
My choice was to go with a Mac Mini server but that's a bit more expensive. Another option is to get one of the compatible NAS devices on the market. How many machines are you backing up to the prospective device? If it's just one, use an external hard drive.

I'm not a big fan of the time capsule since it's limiting and expensive for what you get. Hard to upgrade when you need more space.

dotb

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Dec 25, 2012
My choice was to go with a Mac Mini server but that's a bit more expensive. Another option is to get one of the compatible NAS devices on the market. How many machines are you backing up to the prospective device? If it's just one, use an external hard drive.

I'm not a big fan of the time capsule since it's limiting and expensive for what you get. Hard to upgrade when you need more space.

A belated thanks for the reply. I am just backing up one machine for now - 128gb and then ideally whatever is on my external "storage" drive.

----------

On my airport extreme, I can plug in a USB hard drive, and use it for additional storage (although I don't believe it is recommended to use with time machine backups.)

http://pondini.org/TM/Airport.html

http://support.apple.com/kb/HT2421

You can still get the time capsule, use the whole internal hard drive for your backups. You can then hook an inexpensive USB drive to the time capsule's USB port and use the full usb hard drive for your other storage.

Thanks for the ideas - those links are great!!!

blueroom

macrumors 603
Feb 15, 2009
Toronto, Canada
If you have a router with Ethernet ports the DS212j or any of the DS213 series (you don't need the Air version).
Mine is setup with the primary drive for everything except TM (that's on the secondary drive). Works like a charm and does so much more than a TM. Easy to setup and use too.

dotb

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Dec 25, 2012
Cool thanks will check those out for sure! Seems like as I look into it there is a strong faction of people who dislike Time Capsule - I was only looking at it because I thought there would be ease of use for what I want to do (I still think I will get an airport extreme)

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.