Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

barrotstein.dev

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Dec 27, 2012
Hello fellow mac enthusiasts,
Firstly, a bit about me.
I ma a 15 year old web developer who used to do his work on a Power Mac G4,
Dual 500mhz.
Due to financial reasons, I had to sell my Power Mac :(
Soon, I am going to buy a used 2010 mac mini, and would like to start developing applications for Macs.
I decided to try and fulfill the desprate need for new apps on PowerPC Macs.

So, if you have any requests (I can't promise anything since I am new to mac development), I will try to develop that app.

Thanks for your time,
Bar Rotstein

eyoungren

macrumors Penryn
Aug 31, 2011
Firstly, a bit about me.
Dual 500mhz.
Soon, I am going to buy a used 2010 mac mini, and would like to start developing applications for Macs.

So, if you have any requests (I can't promise anything since I am new to mac development), I will try to develop that app.

Thanks for your time,
Bar Rotstein
Just one question. I'm not a developer so I don't really know how all this works, but how are you going to code for PowerPC Mac using an Intel Mac? They are entirely different architectures and anything made by Apple after 2006 in an Intel Mac and not a PowerPC Mac.

MisterKeeks

macrumors 68000
Nov 15, 2012
Just one question. I'm not a developer so I don't really know how all this works, but how are you going to code for PowerPC Mac using an Intel Mac? They are entirely different architectures and anything made by Apple after 2006 in an Intel Mac and not a PowerPC Mac.

You can set the build target to be PowerPC/Intel. I don't know how high XCode supports this.

Intell

macrumors P6
Jan 24, 2010
Inside
Here's an idea. It may be tricky to do, but it is doable. Most G3/G4 computers can't playback h264 video well or at all. But they can playback MPEG2/AVI files with ease. My idea is to make a set of apps that work together over a network. You have your media on a more powerful Intell Mac and you have the server app running on this machine. The Intell Mac transcodes the media to MPEG2 or AVI and sends it via the local network to the less powerful G3/G4 machine for playback. I'd image this could be done with VLC and/or FFMPEG. But it'd need a pretty and easy to setup/use GUI.

rabidz7

macrumors 65816
Jun 24, 2012
Ohio
Firstly, a bit about me.
Dual 500mhz.

Thanks for your time,
Bar Rotstein

A trim enabler or gpu overclocker.

Lil Chillbil

macrumors 65816
Jan 30, 2012
California
Firstly, a bit about me.
Dual 500mhz.

Thanks for your time,
Bar Rotstein

i'm also a 15 year old software developer and am currently working on a way to put an intel pci card into a powerpc mac and use that to work side by side with the powerpc chip to give our old machine full modern features at a minimal price

and yes it has been done before with the 30th anniversary macintosh

Ariii

macrumors 6502a
Jan 26, 2012
Chicago
i'm also a 15 year old software developer and am currently working on a way to put an intel pci card into a powerpc mac and use that to work side by side with the powerpc chip to give our old machine full modern features at a minimal price

and yes it has been done before with the 30th anniversary macintosh

The 30th Anniversary Macintosh wasn't legitimate. Sorry :eek:.

Nova77

May 12, 2011
-A PPC app to rip blu-rays
-A h264 video converter made for PowerPC that outputs files that can be played flawlessly on a G4 or G5 (lots of MKVs from the PC side just dont seem right).
-Ask the guys from CoreCodec the rights to work on a new PowerPC video player that would beat CorePlayer
-Anything AltiVec enabled
-Modern games with AltiVec

skinniezinho

macrumors 65816
Jan 1, 2009
Portugal
Since powerpc are "lacking" power for some web tasks, I guess it would be awesome to have something like this for the osx:
http://www.tapatalk.com/

It would make browsing forums so much easier.
There are more apps that we (powerpc or even mac community) would like to see released, but if they are possible or not to be released is another question.
Another question is, would it sell?

For example, great apps that were abandoned :

coreplayer - very optimized videoplayer.but for me it has a downside: no subtitle support.if you add it would be very nice.

bluephoneelite - software to send sms through the mac via bluetooth.http://web.archive.org/web/20110113090413/http://mirasoftware.com/BPE2/

it was a very nice software, but in my opinion it's price was a little steep (I guess it was 35eur).Since androids now send sms via wifi/data using apps like airdroid or mightytext (wich are web based, and run slow on my G4), it would be nice to have an app that combine everything in a lightweight desktop app.

When developing an app a thing that I consider important (as a buyer):

price -since my G4 is my secondary machine, anything that is more than 20eur requires to be very very important.For example I only paid that for 2 softwares: microsoft office 2008 (100eur for 3 licenses and free update for 2011) and coreplayer (about 23eur,wich I regret, because with no subtitle support, it is useless for me).
Other apps cost about 5-8eur and with that price I buy them in a hurry to support the developer.

support - if something only supports 10.5 I wouldn't buy it (unless I need it).Although I have 10.4 and 10.5, I mostly use 10.4 and like it much more than 10.5.

hope to have helped

SkyBell

macrumors 604
Sep 7, 2006
Texas, unfortunately.
A problem I run into with what is left of currently developed PPC software, is that a good amount of it only runs on 10.5. Now, I do have a partition of Leopard on my external HDD, but on my main internal drive, I run 10.4. I find it to be much faster, more stable and more visually appealing.

I always wondered, how much extra effort is required to support 10.4, as well as 10.5 when developing an app? Is it really too much of a hassle to include support for the version of OS X that had the longest run of official support from Apple? :confused:

eyoungren

macrumors Penryn
Aug 31, 2011
Allright, I'll ask for this. If it already exists, can someone let me know.

-Integration of Growl with Prowl. Prowl, the iOS app requires (according to it's requirements) the latest version of Growl on the Mac. Of course the latest version can't run on PowerPC Mac, so buying Prowl would be a waste of $2.99 because it won't work with my Mac.

Be nice to see my Growl messages on my iPhone.

skateny

macrumors 6502
Jul 19, 2012
New York, NY
Firstly, a bit about me.
Dual 500mhz.

Thanks for your time,
Bar Rotstein

Hi. I'm curious as to what kind of apps you had in mind when you started this thread, and what kinds of things you'd actually enjoy developing.

Ariii

macrumors 6502a
Jan 26, 2012
Chicago
A port of Midori or LuaKit to PowerPC. Those are great web-browsers, even though they're Linux-only :).

PowerPCMacMan

macrumors 6502a
Jul 17, 2012
PowerPC land
Hmm.. Where to begin?

First off I would like to see more OS offerings for PowerPC. I know Leopard is the end of the line, but I am sure if someone were to grab the source code for Snow Leopard and programmed the PowerPC APIs, I think it would be possible to create a 10.6 like OS which would be somewhat like Snow Leopard.

2nd application I would like to see is a true, almost look a like of Google Chrome. Stainless is nice, but it does not seem anyone is currently developing anything further for it.

Of course, we should also consider creating nice 64-bit applications to take advantage of the G5, especially the dual/quad-core models.

skinniezinho

macrumors 65816
Jan 1, 2009
Portugal
First off I would like to see more OS offerings for PowerPC. I know Leopard is the end of the line, but I am sure if someone were to grab the source code for Snow Leopard and programmed the PowerPC APIs, I think it would be possible to create a 10.6 like OS which would be somewhat like Snow Leopard.

2nd application I would like to see is a true, almost look a like of Google Chrome. Stainless is nice, but it does not seem anyone is currently developing anything further for it.

Of course, we should also consider creating nice 64-bit applications to take advantage of the G5, especially the dual/quad-core models.

osx is closed source so making a new osx for powerpc is a no go.
google chrome is not entirelly open source, so it is difficult too.
you have a large option of browser (read it in the faq), and many of them very fast.

MisterKeeks

macrumors 68000
Nov 15, 2012

I believe there is a Chrome theme for Firefox. I don't know much about it, as I prefer Leopard Webkit.

Wildy

macrumors 6502
Jan 25, 2011
osx is closed source so making a new osx for powerpc is a no go.
google chrome is not entirelly open source, so it is difficult too.
you have a large option of browser (read it in the faq), and many of them very fast.

Chrome is built on the open-source Chromium. The only major differences are in the non-free codecs, all of which are available to download anyway. The thing standing in the way of getting Chrome (I'll use it interchangeably with Chromium) to run on PPC is the V8 JavaScript engine is very difficult to port to another architecture. Some progress is being made at https://github.com/ic/v8-powerpc, but it could be some time before we see it on PPC. That said, V8 is the fastest JS engine around and could be lifted out and put to great use in existing PPC browsers such as Stainless and Aurora/TFF.

ppcfanforever1

macrumors regular
Dec 31, 2012
Pennsylvania
Could you try to develop a java 1.6 port? Or a steam (game platform) ppc application? Or at least find a way to make ppc be able to play 1080p flawlessly on youtube.

PowerPCMacMan

macrumors 6502a
Jul 17, 2012
PowerPC land
1080p

This works great on my G5 Quad.. but I do understand that Lower G5's and G4's of course want to view 720p and 1080p also. Someone should develop an app similar to coreplayer which will do the same thing.

So long as one has the right codecs, its even possible for the G4 to play and stream 720p or 1080p.

A blu-ray player would also be nice.

Could you try to develop a java 1.6 port? Or a steam (game platform) ppc application? Or at least find a way to make ppc be able to play 1080p flawlessly on youtube.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.