Register FAQ / Rules Forum Spy Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read
Go Back   MacRumors Forums > Apple Hardware > Buying Tips and Advice

Old Dec 27, 2012, 05:22 PM   #1
mariotheotaku
macrumors regular

Is the Fusion drive smart like Apple claims?

I'm in the process of buying either a Mac Mini or an iMac and I wanted to know from those who ordered the fusion drive if the drive was capable of doing what apple claims, storing the programs you used the most on the ssd side and the ones you don't on the hard drive . I want to use my future mac for photoshop, illustrator and Lightroom. Also how does the photoshop, illustrator files and photos are stored, do they get moved to the hard drive side or do they stay on the ssd?

Thanks.
mariotheotaku is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Dec 29, 2012, 04:19 PM   #2
Paulywauly
macrumors 6502a

Quote:
Originally Posted by mariotheotaku View Post
I'm in the process of buying either a Mac Mini or an iMac and I wanted to know from those who ordered the fusion drive if the drive was capable of doing what apple claims, storing the programs you used the most on the ssd side and the ones you don't on the hard drive . I want to use my future mac for photoshop, illustrator and Lightroom. Also how does the photoshop, illustrator files and photos are stored, do they get moved to the hard drive side or do they stay on the ssd?

Thanks.
Well yeah it does. If you use those applications the most they will stay on the flash memory portion of the fusion drive, as will any files you use often. This is entirely transparent to you when sitting at your computer, you'll just see a single Macintosh HD on your desktop thats appeared on every Mac for the past few decades
Old Dec 29, 2012, 07:29 PM   #3
mariotheotaku
macrumors regular

Great, thanks!
mariotheotaku is offline   0 Reply With Quote

MacRumors Forums > Apple Hardware > Buying Tips and Advice