Register FAQ / Rules Forum Spy Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read
Go Back   MacRumors Forums > News and Article Discussion > MacRumors.com News Discussion

Old Dec 28, 2012, 12:36 PM   #1
MacRumors
macrumors bot

Increase in iPhone and iPad Thefts Accounts for Rise in New York City Crime Index

The New York Times reports that New York City mayor Michael Bloomberg today released crime data for the city as 2012 draws to a close, noting that a slight increase in the overall major crime index for the city can be entirely accounted for by an increase in iPhone and iPad thefts.
Quote:
As of Monday, the Police Department recorded 3,484 more major crimes in 2012 than for the same period last year. The increase in Apple product thefts: 3,890. [...]

"If you just took away the jump in Apple, we'd be down for the year," said Marc La Vorgna, the mayor's press secretary.
Thefts of Apple devices have naturally grown as their popularity has increased, and police in New York and other cities have been working to break up extensive rings of thieves and dealers trading in stolen iPhones and other electronics. Last year it was reported that in some New York City precincts more than half of the robberies in some months involved iPhones.

Today's report also notes that police have been emphasizing efforts to address theft on the city's subways, which are popular locations for gadget thefts due to the crowds and easy getaway opportunities.

Article Link: Increase in iPhone and iPad Thefts Accounts for Rise in New York City Crime Index
MacRumors is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Dec 28, 2012, 12:39 PM   #2
Allenbf
macrumors 6502

Welcome to the Big Apple.
Old Dec 28, 2012, 05:35 PM   #3
bungiefan89
macrumors 6502

Quote:
Originally Posted by Allenbf View Post
Welcome to the Big Apple.
Oooooooohhhh SNAP!
Old Dec 28, 2012, 12:39 PM   #4
nerdpov
macrumors 6502

Going into NYC this weekend with my iPhone 5
Old Dec 28, 2012, 12:40 PM   #5
jetjaguar
macrumors 68000

thats crazy and im there everyday
Old Dec 29, 2012, 07:27 AM   #6
iGrip
Banned

Send a message via ICQ to iGrip Send a message via AIM to iGrip Send a message via MSN to iGrip Send a message via Yahoo to iGrip Send a message via Skype™ to iGrip
Quote:
Originally Posted by jetjaguar View Post
thats crazy and im there everyday
He's dissembling.

I'd bet that if you looked at various categories, some are up and some are down. If one looks at thefts of electronic goods, one might see that they are steady and h could still say the same thing about Apple products. Note that he did NOT say that thefts of electronics are up. He only said that if one were to subtact a certain brand, the stats would be different.
iGrip is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Dec 28, 2012, 12:40 PM   #7
iVoid
macrumors 65816

So along with 32oz sodas, he's now going to ban Apple products in the city.
iVoid is offline   32 Reply With Quote
Old Dec 28, 2012, 12:43 PM   #8
Allenbf
macrumors 6502

Quote:
Originally Posted by iVoid View Post
Well by comparison, he would allow you to bring a 16 GB, but not the 32 or 64. But you're also ok to bring 2 of the 16 GB models.
Old Dec 28, 2012, 12:45 PM   #9
ConCat
Banned

Quote:
I think you mean 64 GB iPhones. Surely 32 is large enough for everyone?! Ban them all!
ConCat is offline   3 Reply With Quote
Old Dec 28, 2012, 06:34 PM   #10
imageWIS
macrumors 6502a

Quote:
If you saw what is considered a 'small' soda at an AMC theater in NYC, you could see why it's not a bad idea. And before you start with some personal freedom nonsense, freedom, like everything else has a cost.
imageWIS is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Dec 28, 2012, 06:42 PM   #11
cameronjpu
macrumors 65816

Quote:
Originally Posted by imageWIS View Post
If you saw what is considered a 'small' soda at an AMC theater in NYC, you could see why it's not a bad idea. And before you start with some personal freedom nonsense, freedom, like everything else has a cost.
It's a chain reaction - as long as I'm paying for part of a smoker's health care, whether it be through socialized medicine or simple insurance, I want to have some say in the matter. Now, a fair society would allow the insurance company to charge the smoker, the obese, (gasp) the genetically predisposed, more money to insure them. But when society determines that that's unfair, and that everyone should pay the same no matter what their behavior or nature disposes them to, that's when you start to get government forcing behavior.

This is why markets are better.
cameronjpu is offline   1 Reply With Quote
Old Dec 30, 2012, 11:42 AM   #12
charlituna
macrumors 604

Quote:
Originally Posted by cameronjpu View Post
. Now, a fair society would allow the insurance company to charge the smoker, the obese, (gasp) the genetically predisposed, more money to insure them.
The companies already do add such charges. At least for smoking.

----------

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mike MA View Post
Would be interesting if the NY Apple Stores also suffer from stolen products on an above average basis...
They do. Although it is mainly headphones etc. comes with having several thousand folks coming though their stores daily
charlituna is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Dec 31, 2012, 03:22 PM   #13
Lark.Landon
macrumors 6502

Quote:
Originally Posted by imageWIS View Post
Personal freedom nonsense? Freedom has a cost in regard to how large your soft drink can be? Wow. You are not an American.

Last edited by Lark.Landon; Dec 31, 2012 at 04:44 PM. Reason: Grammatical error
Lark.Landon is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Dec 31, 2012, 06:08 PM   #14
KnightWRX
macrumors Pentium

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lark.Landon View Post
Personal freedom nonsense? Freedom has a cost in regard to how large your soft drink can be? Wow. You are not an American.
Your soft drink can be as large as you want it. There is no law against filling up your glass a 2nd time. Well, except the law of common sense and decency.
Old Dec 31, 2012, 09:24 PM   #15
imageWIS
macrumors 6502a

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lark.Landon View Post
What a blanket and frankly, ignorant statement. Read the writings of Th. Jefferson, John Adams and James Madison and then you will understand where I gather my opinions from.
imageWIS is offline   1 Reply With Quote
Old Dec 29, 2012, 09:53 AM   #16
topmounter
macrumors 68000

Quote:
And subway trains since they are now being used to murder innocent people.

----------

Quote:
Originally Posted by theanimaster View Post
Call me sadistic, but one day I would love to buy a dummy iPhone (those ones they use for displays), ...... then head for the subways of New York...

... and if more people thought the same and did the same, THEN we may see a decline in iPhone theft (and an increase in mugger fatalities).
I believe that just making that post is a felony nowadays.
Old Dec 30, 2012, 11:49 AM   #17
koban4max
macrumors 65816

Quote:
Originally Posted by nerdpov View Post
Going into NYC this weekend with my iPhone 5
You're next

----------

Quote:
Originally Posted by Drunken Master View Post
Exactly. It's called being civilized.

I think if someone were to grab an iPhone out of a lady's hand on the subway and run here in Taiwan, it would probably be front page news and on the TV.

Everyone on the metro here is on a iPhone, iPad or Android device at all hours. Just the thought that some brute would grab it out of your hand is untenable.
Well, Japan isn't truely civilized.

----------

Quote:
Originally Posted by theanimaster View Post
Call me sadistic, but one day I would love to buy a dummy iPhone (those ones they use for displays), pack it with C5 explosives and a remote detonation system, then head for the subways of New York...

... and if more people thought the same and did the same, THEN we may see a decline in iPhone theft (and an increase in mugger fatalities).
And arrest you and torture you to get info on Taliban's leaders. I would love to see that.
koban4max is offline   2 Reply With Quote
Old Dec 28, 2012, 12:42 PM   #18
dona83
macrumors regular

I take transit and sometimes worry about that. If there are enough people on board, I'll use my iPhone/iPad without worry.
dona83 is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Dec 28, 2012, 12:44 PM   #19
needfx
macrumors 68000

class action suit for making covetable & high black market value products.
needfx is offline   4 Reply With Quote
Old Dec 28, 2012, 01:03 PM   #20
lkrupp
macrumors 6502

Quote:
Originally Posted by needfx View Post
class action suit for making covetable & high black market value products.
Don't laugh. Something like that wouldn't surprise me one little bit. Not in the culture we live in today. So don't give the douche bags any ideas.
lkrupp is offline   5 Reply With Quote
Old Dec 28, 2012, 01:14 PM   #21
barkomatic
macrumors 68030

Not surprising. I'm very careful with using my iPhone in the city but its always a little risky. It would be a great feature if Apple added functionality to somehow make an iPhone useless to a thief.
barkomatic is online now   2 Reply With Quote
Old Dec 28, 2012, 01:23 PM   #22
ctdonath
macrumors 65816

Quote:
Originally Posted by barkomatic View Post
It would be a great feature if Apple added functionality to somehow make an iPhone useless to a thief.
Find My iPhone lets you lock, erase, or brick an iPhone remotely. You can also see where it is, and...um...talk the guy into returning it.

Can also make it beep loudly, great for when the kids have hidden it.
ctdonath is offline   1 Reply With Quote
Old Dec 28, 2012, 01:57 PM   #23
akbarali.ch
macrumors 6502

Quote:
Not surprising. I'm very careful with using my iPhone in the city but its always a little risky. It would be a great feature if Apple added functionality to somehow make an iPhone useless to a thief.
it is possible, but i wonder what stopping them doing that. I mean i know they can hotlist credit card which becomes a piece of plastic which you scratch your teeth but nothing more.
Old Dec 28, 2012, 02:22 PM   #24
firewood
macrumors 603

Quote:
It would be a great feature if Apple added functionality to somehow make an iPhone useless to a thief.
I would pay $$$ for an optional Apple service where I could show up in one of their stores, show ID and proof of purchase of my iPhone using that ID (they have ways of checking), and have them permanently brick my iPhone should it ever show up on any network again. (Turning red hot in the thief's hands while the battery melts would be even better, but various liability laws probably prevent that.)

The problem is: would anyone ever buy my used iPhone knowing I could brick it at any time? The price of used iPhones would plumet like crazy.
firewood is offline   2 Reply With Quote
Old Dec 28, 2012, 02:32 PM   #25
mrsir2009
macrumors 604

Quote:
I think NZ carriers are going to band together and build a system where if a smartphone is reported stolen it won't work on any of the three nz carriers. So unless the theif sells the phone overseas, it'd be useless to them
mrsir2009 is offline   1 Reply With Quote

MacRumors Forums > News and Article Discussion > MacRumors.com News Discussion