Register FAQ / Rules Forum Spy Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read
Go Back   MacRumors Forums > Special Interests > Mac and PC Games

Old Dec 28, 2012, 01:24 PM   #1
Snoosedaddy
macrumors regular

Witcher 2 with GTX 680MX

Anyone have good results running this game with this GPU? I see it on GOG.com for $11.99 and wondering how well the game will run with high display settings.
Snoosedaddy is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Dec 28, 2012, 06:12 PM   #2
Snoosedaddy
macrumors regular

Wow, really? Nobody? I ended up DL it anyways. Wasn't able to play on "ultra spec", I have a Late 2012 iMac 27" 3.4GHz 16GB RAM GTX 680MX. I had to select "high spec" and boded well so far. Not sure why this computer cannot handle the "ultra spec". Anyone have any luck? Great game by the way, well, at least when the kids aren't whining and fighting.
Snoosedaddy is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Dec 28, 2012, 06:37 PM   #3
AndiS.
macrumors regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by Snoosedaddy View Post
Wow, really? Nobody? I ended up DL it anyways. Wasn't able to play on "ultra spec", I have a Late 2012 iMac 27" 3.4GHz 16GB RAM GTX 680MX. I had to select "high spec" and boded well so far. Not sure why this computer cannot handle the "ultra spec". Anyone have any luck? Great game by the way, well, at least when the kids aren't whining and fighting.
check the 680MX Benchmark thread in the iMac sub forum, I remember people there talking about it. Ubersampling should be off when you play in Ultra, that feature is supposedly too much for even high end desktop GPUs in SLI.

And btw, do you play in OSX or Windows? I'm completely new to iMac and had been away from PC gaming for many years, but Windows allows for a way better gaming performance, just make sure you use the 310.70 drivers for the GPU.

As for the game, I just finished Witcher 2 a couple of months on Xbox, loved the game as well : )
AndiS. is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Dec 28, 2012, 06:43 PM   #4
JordanNZ
macrumors 6502

Quote:
Originally Posted by Snoosedaddy View Post
Barely anything can handle 'ultra' when it comes to that game. It's one of the most demanding games around when run at full details.
JordanNZ is offline   1 Reply With Quote
Old Dec 29, 2012, 04:06 PM   #5
Mister Bumbo
macrumors 6502

Just got it today from Steam (75% off, yay) and it runs... well surprisingly unwell. I think some updated drivers or optimizations for the new GPU might be required before it can run as "it should" (if we're talking numbers and comparisons to other cards). It runs well on low/medium though.
Mister Bumbo is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Dec 29, 2012, 04:08 PM   #6
lightz39
macrumors regular

Generally mac versions of games require higher specs to begin with. Never mind the fact that this game takes a lot to push the highest specs.
Old Dec 29, 2012, 04:56 PM   #7
AndiS.
macrumors regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by lightz39 View Post
Generally mac versions of games require higher specs to begin with. Never mind the fact that this game takes a lot to push the highest specs.
Thank god there is bootcamp : ) The Witcher 2 is an amazing looking game either way, even in low settings. I had seen people even playing it on Mac Minis.

For the 680MX equipped iMac the Witcher 2 shouldn't be a problem, if there were, it had to be the drivers. I'm playing Far Cry 3 in native 1440p with high settings, and it runs smooth as butter.
AndiS. is offline   1 Reply With Quote

MacRumors Forums > Special Interests > Mac and PC Games