Go Back   MacRumors Forums > iPhone, iPod and iPad > iPhone

Old Dec 28, 2012, 10:47 PM   #1
numberforty1
macrumors 6502

Apple Quality

So, I just bought an ip5 as a christmas gift, and they could charge it using their imac, but not using the standard wall charger. faulty charging cube.

i'm finally going to give in and admit that APPLE's QC has gone done the crapper.

Saddens me to say it to because I've been loyal with APPLE from 2001 - now

Luckily their customer service is superb, so I'll stick around a little longer.

Or maybe it's because I've joined this forum that I notice the faults more easily. It just seems every 5th thread is a complaint lately.

What are you thoughts?

Old Dec 28, 2012, 10:53 PM   #2
darster
macrumors 68000

So because the little power adaptor was bad the whole company has gone downhill? Wow. I have never had a problem with an Apple product. I have owned macbooks, imacs, ipads, ipods, iPhones, ATV's and so on, and never, ever had a problem.
darster is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Dec 28, 2012, 10:56 PM   #3
numberforty1
macrumors 6502

Quote:
Originally Posted by darster View Post
So because the little power adaptor was bad the whole company has gone downhill? Wow. I have never had a problem with an Apple product. I have owned macbooks, imacs, ipads, ipods, iPhones, ATV's and so on, and never, ever had a problem.
I got myself an ip5 in November. I had to swap it due to a bad battery. The phone they wanted to give me (white box model), had a blob of "anodized" melted steel all over the APPLE logo on the back of the phone.

So I guess after this....3 strikes kinda.....
Old Dec 28, 2012, 10:59 PM   #4
Chris092881
macrumors 6502

Quote:
Originally Posted by numberforty1 View Post
I got myself one back in November. I had to swap it due to a bad battery. The phone they wanted to give me (white box model), had a blob of "anodized" melted steel all over the APPLE logo on the back of the phone.

So I guess after this....3 strikes kinda.....
And let me guess, the Genius looked at you like you were nuts when you said you didn't want a phone with melted metal all over the back of it?
Chris092881 is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Dec 28, 2012, 11:03 PM   #5
numberforty1
macrumors 6502

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chris092881 View Post
And let me guess, the Genius looked at you like you were nuts when you said you didn't want a phone with melted metal all over the back of it?
lol...kinda! they kept tilting it from side to side saying.."yeah we see it...it's anodized something or other"...i felt like i was being really picky asking for another one...but I expect it to be pristine out of the box. it honestly looked like melted anodized snot all over the apple logo! lol

i have bought MANY apple products since 2001 with no problems. but this last year i have had a few issues. it wont stop me from buying their products. i've got plenty of love for APPLE.

just started this thread to get some feedback.
Old Dec 28, 2012, 11:10 PM   #6
Chris092881
macrumors 6502

Quote:
lol...kinda! they kept tilting it from side to side saying.."yeah we see it...it's anodized something or other"...i felt like i was being really picky asking for another one...but I expect it to be pristine out of the box. it honestly looked like melted anodized snot all over the apple logo! lol

i have bought MANY apple products since 2001 with no problems. but this last year i have had a few issues. it wont stop me from buying their products. i've got plenty of love for APPLE.

just started this thread to get some feedback.
I love Apple too, but this iPhone 5 experience has been insane to say the least. I'm just over it. Get me a phone without any excessive rattling in the earpiece and/or glaring cosmetic issues and I'd be happy. Maybe I'm asking for too much?

----------

Quote:
The majority of people did not. You are in the minority.
It doesn't matter to me what the numbers are, as numbers don't fix my problem. But I'm sure you're right. Apple acts shocked when you bring things up they'd rather avoid talking about or addressing. Or so it's been my experience.
Old Dec 28, 2012, 10:57 PM   #7
Chris092881
macrumors 6502

Quote:
Did you receive an iPhone 5 with either cosmetic or mechanical damage out of the box, sir?
Old Dec 28, 2012, 11:04 PM   #8
darster
macrumors 68000

Quote:
Did you receive an iPhone 5 with either cosmetic or mechanical damage out of the box, sir?
Nope.
Old Dec 28, 2012, 11:06 PM   #9
Chris092881
macrumors 6502

Quote:
Nope.
Well there you go. Many of us did. I envy you.
Old Dec 28, 2012, 11:07 PM   #10
darster
macrumors 68000

Quote:
The majority of people did not. You are in the minority.
Old Dec 29, 2012, 09:25 AM   #11
sulpfiction
macrumors 68030

Quote:
For every person that got a cosmetically damaged 5 out of the box, there are thousands and thousands that were perfect. Every person I know that got a 5 didn't have a single issue.
I'm not saying that bad phones are acceptable, and im not saying the issue didnt exist, but the problem is much smaller then it's made out to be here on MR.
sulpfiction is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Dec 28, 2012, 10:56 PM   #12
Chris092881
macrumors 6502

My thoughts are Apple has more money than God at this point, so quality customer service is no longer imperative for them. At least in my experience. Maybe you're having better luck. It's quite disturbing to me that anyone that works for Apple should be seemingly shocked that an iPhone 5 was sent out with nicks and scratches. They can't fathom it. Meanwhile every tech institute has run countless stories on it by now. It's a joke.
Chris092881 is offline   1 Reply With Quote
Old Dec 28, 2012, 10:57 PM   #13
numberforty1
macrumors 6502

Quote:
My thoughts are Apple has more money than God at this point, so quality customer service is no longer imperative for them. At least in my experience. Maybe you're having better luck. It's quite disturbing to me that anyone that works for Apple should be seemingly shocked that an iPhone 5 was sent out with nicks and scratches. They can't fathom it. Meanwhile every tech institute has run countless stories on it by now. It's a joke.
I love APPLE don't get me wrong, but I agree with you 100% here.
Old Dec 28, 2012, 11:35 PM   #14
Chris092881
macrumors 6502

Bottom line: as soon as the Foxconn workers started complaining about how "difficult" the device was to assemble, a red flag should have been raised for me. Factor that in with the fact they had to rush to meet the demands for supply and you've got a recipe for disaster. No wonder those poor Foxconn workers are tossing themselves down staircases and off balconies.

----------

Quote:
Do you have the black or white?
Black.
Old Dec 28, 2012, 11:40 PM   #15
numberforty1
macrumors 6502

Quote:
Bottom line: as soon as the Foxconn workers started complaining about how "difficult" the device was to assemble, a red flag should have been raised for me. Factor that in with the fact they had to rush to meet the demands for supply and you've got a recipe for disaster. No wonder those poor Foxconn workers are tossing themselves down staircases and off balconies.

----------

Black.
I've always had black iPhones. this time i got the white. i love the finish on the backside. Both look awesome though - when flawless.
Old Dec 28, 2012, 11:40 PM   #16
Mrbobb
macrumors 601

Quote:

What are you thoughts?

Oh NO, not ANOTHER quality post!
Mrbobb is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Dec 28, 2012, 11:41 PM   #17
AFDoc
macrumors 68000

Quote:
So, I just bought an ip5 as a christmas gift, and they could charge it using their imac, but not using the standard wall charger. faulty charging cube.

i'm finally going to give in and admit that APPLE's QC has gone done the crapper.

Saddens me to say it to because I've been loyal with APPLE from 2001 - now

Luckily their customer service is superb, so I'll stick around a little longer.

Or maybe it's because I've joined this forum that I notice the faults more easily. It just seems every 5th thread is a complaint lately.

What are you thoughts?

Yeah because our of millions of phones produced, millions of cords, millions of wall adapters and yours is faulty Apple's QC is going to the crapper... yep it must be true.

Last edited by AFDoc; Dec 28, 2012 at 11:48 PM.
AFDoc is offline   1 Reply With Quote
Old Dec 28, 2012, 11:46 PM   #18
Chris092881
macrumors 6502

Quote:
Originally Posted by AFDoc View Post
Yeah because our of millions of phones produced, millions of chords, millions of wall adapters and yours is faulty Apple's QC is going to the crapper... yep it must be true.
How is that a helpful response?

----------

Quote:
Apparently you still cant read. In the last 12 week period, Apple has moved to 53% share of smartphone market, which MEANS they currently have a 53% share of the market in the US. Any questions, or is that still beyond your understanding?
Do you think if I called Apple and spoke to them that way they'd be more inclined to help me out?
Old Dec 28, 2012, 11:54 PM   #19
AFDoc
macrumors 68000

Quote:
How is that a helpful response?
It shows OP is full of drama saying Apple QC has gone to the crapper..... A few issues when millions of phones are produced does not = QC issues

Quote:
Y when Apple clearly won't return the favor.
By NOT returning the phone you would be a thief, so you did do the right thing. Doing the right thing when it's easy to not do it is what makes people like you and I "better" than those that don't.
Found a wallet the other day. The guy had a lot of money in it, didn't count it because it wasn't my money. He had his wallet returned to him with all contents. Sure it would of been easy to take the cash, but my integrity is more important than some cash. How many would take the cash? I would bet the majority of users here on MR would even if they say they wouldn't.... PLUS I bet the majority WOULD keep the phone.

Those types of people make me think of a quote from Pure Country.... "You know... it's a funny thing about that little white speck on top of chicken ****.... but that little white speck is chicken **** too". http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=3GTLM89pN0A

Last edited by AFDoc; Dec 28, 2012 at 11:59 PM.
AFDoc is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Dec 28, 2012, 11:57 PM   #20
Chris092881
macrumors 6502

Quote:
Originally Posted by AFDoc View Post
It shows OP is full of drama saying Apple QC has gone to the crapper..... A few issues when millions of phones are produced does not = QC issues

By NOT returning the phone you would be a thief, so you did do the right thing. Doing the right thing when it's easy to not do it is what makes people like you and I "better" than those that don't.
Found a wallet the other day. The guy had a lot of money in it, didn't count it because it wasn't my money. He had his wallet returned to him with all contents. Sure it would of been easy to take the cash, but my integrity is more important than some cash.
For sure, I was raised to be honest. But you can see how now, when I need some assistance, Apple is telling me to go F myself. It's kinda ironic. That was basically my point. And would I technically have been a "thief" when they sent me the device accidentally? It's a tough call. Some people might call that flat out lucky.
Old Dec 29, 2012, 12:02 AM   #21
numberforty1
macrumors 6502

Quote:
For sure, I was raised to be honest. But you can see how now, when I need some assistance, Apple is telling me to go F myself. It's kinda ironic. That was basically my point. And would I technically have been a "thief" when they sent me the device accidentally? It's a tough call. Some people might call that flat out lucky.
Check out this story...http://www.huffingtonpost.com/2012/1...n_2253576.html

APPLE has so much money they should have let you keep the phone. It was their screw up.
Old Dec 29, 2012, 12:03 AM   #22
AFDoc
macrumors 68000

Quote:
For me yes... if you have an item you did not pay for, even if it was NOT your fault I believe it should be returned. I know the majority would say "It's not my fault they sent me a phone" or "Apple is a billion dollar company what's the big deal". I say sure it's not your fault and sure they are a billion dollar company but right is right and wrong is wrong. Keeping something given to you in error is stealing in my opinion. Many will differ in that opinion but again, that's what makes people that do the right thing "better".

I've been fortunate with apple returns and really have only had minor issues.
Vastoholic... do you ride? (avatar). Been calming it down as of late but but used to hit the track a lot down here in the springs. www.cosportbikeclub.org

Last edited by AFDoc; Dec 29, 2012 at 12:09 AM.
AFDoc is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Dec 29, 2012, 12:05 AM   #23
vastoholic
macrumors 68000

Quote:
And I honestly don't know why you're getting that treatment. I've only had a few issues in the past year or so since around midway through 2011, but I've had no problems with customer service. That's really crappy for you because I think those discolorations should be grounds for return (it is only cosmetic, but it's actually brown, that's not right). But for the OP to claim that all of Apple QC has gone down the toilet over what we've seen with the iPhone 5 is an untrue blanket statement.
Old Dec 29, 2012, 06:45 AM   #24
matttye
macrumors 601

Quote:
I doubt Apple wants their own employees admitting that nicks and scratches are a regular thing.
Old Dec 29, 2012, 08:56 AM   #25
abhinav7333
macrumors member

Quote:
Look at the stocks. It is going downhill. Apple better come with something revolutionary next year.
abhinav7333 is offline   0 Reply With Quote

MacRumors Forums > iPhone, iPod and iPad > iPhone