Go Back   MacRumors Forums > Apple Hardware > Apple TV and Home Theater

Old Dec 29, 2012, 10:57 AM   #1
Non-Euclidean
macrumors member

Recommendations for converting LD for AppleTV

OK, I had an Apple Xmas, got myself an iPad4 then an AppleTV. I ordered a refurb Mini mid-2011 2.5MHz in May, and upgraded it to 8G RAM yesterday. I have been having a great time using, converting, etc.

I recently converted (Handbrake) a bunch of LD (Low definition stuff), namely some Star Trek: The Animated Series with Handbrake on the AppleTV3 setting. It looks horrible given the quality of the source. I have other 70 or even 80s era stuff which cant stand up to high definition. I am assuming I should use some other preset that wont create such a high quality output file.

Any recommendations?
Non-Euclidean is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Dec 29, 2012, 12:03 PM   #2
Non-Euclidean
macrumors member

Err, after doing some more research, I see some replies about turning de-interlacing off for cartoons/older tv. And of course, double checking with the preview window...
Non-Euclidean is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Dec 29, 2012, 12:51 PM   #3
waw74
macrumors 68020

SD (standard definition) not LD (I read that as laser disc in the title)

I belive handbrake will not upscale, so an SD file (480) will stay 480 even if you select a preset with a higher resolution.

You could try iphone4 preset wich is 480

There are also some more advanced settings you can play around with. Look for animation in the following page.
https://forum.handbrake.fr/viewtopic.php?f=6&t=19426
waw74 is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Dec 29, 2012, 08:31 PM   #4
brand
macrumors 68040

Quote:
Originally Posted by waw74 View Post
SD (standard definition) not LD (I read that as laser disc in the title)
Agreed, the correct terminology is everything.
brand is online now   0 Reply With Quote
Old Dec 29, 2012, 09:13 PM   #5
dynaflash
macrumors 68020

The AppleTV preset does not use deinterlace, it uses decomb and will only deinterlace frames that show combing. That is not your problem. As well, "upscaling" the source with HB ( which can only be done via the cli) will not do anything but make a bigger file size. Plus, the AppleTV 3 upscales SD anyway to your tv. So that is not your problem.

----------

Since we have no clue what your source is its pretty hard to tell what the issue is. But its nothing mentioned here provided you are in fact using the AppleTV 3 preset.

Where did you get the source and what is it ? A pastebinned activity log (via pastebin.com) from HB linked here would tell us everything.

----------

Quote:
Originally Posted by waw74 View Post
I belive handbrake will not upscale, so an SD file (480) will stay 480 even if you select a preset with a higher resolution.
Correct *but* that atv 3 preset allows * up to * 1080p however will go above the sources resolution.
dynaflash is offline   1 Reply With Quote
Old Dec 30, 2012, 08:57 AM   #6
slothrob
macrumors 6502

Quote:
Originally Posted by dynaflash View Post
As well, "upscaling" the source with HB ( which can only be done via the cli) will not do anything but make a bigger file size. Plus, the AppleTV 3 upscales SD anyway to your tv. So that is not your problem.
Yes, don't try to upscale the file. Just use the aTV3 preset and it will make most of the appropriate decisions for you. The aTV does a very good job "upscaling" 480 content.

For old TV use Decomb (instead of Deinterlace). If the image looks ragged around the edges, Decomb will do the job.

Many old video sources also benefit from Detelecine. If the image appears to flicker or stutter oddly, Detelecine may solve the problem.

It would be helpful if you describe the way in which the converted video "looks horrible". This will help direct us to making suggestions to improve the product. To start, though, you should be using the aTV3 preset, which it doesn't sound like you are using if you have Deinterlace selected. Animated video should look quite excellent if converted properly.
slothrob is offline   0 Reply With Quote

MacRumors Forums > Apple Hardware > Apple TV and Home Theater