Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

DJ Racing

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Dec 29, 2012
I have a base model 2012 mini that I upgraded the ram to 16gb and added a samsung 840 ssd as a second drive. Its working very well. I bought osx server to do some file sharing and post some websites for my web development classes. Plus it was only $20. My concern is that I have my mini set to never sleep so that I can access my stuff whenever I need. Is it okay to have it set this way? I also use it as my home desktop. I was kicking around the idea of getting another mini and using one as a home server and the other as my desktop.

Thanks!

Nov 28, 2010
located
As the Mac mini is also sold as server, it is okay to run it 24/7 in a proper ventilated room.

Mac minis are even used like this:
macminifarm-081023.jpg

DJ Racing

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Dec 29, 2012
Thanks for the quick reply. In my google searches I did come across that photo. Pretty amazing. I have noticed an issue with my setup and if anyone can help I would appreciate it: I tried letting my server sleep and noticed that I had no network connection on any other device as soon as the server went to sleep. I think it may be a DNS issue but Im not exactly sure. Ive been googling it to try and figure it out. When the server is running, everything works perfectly. But if I let it sleep then my ipad, mbp, apple tv and my dad's iMac cannot access the internet

Any help is appreciated

thekev

macrumors 604
Aug 5, 2010
But if I let it sleep then my ipad, mbp, apple tv and my dad's iMac cannot access the internet

Any help is appreciated

It depends how this network is set up. If the internet connection is being shared using the mini as a proxy, you wouldn't be able to sleep it. If your router is handling wireless distribution for every computer on the network, that shouldn't be an issue. You won't be able to access storage that is physically connected to the mini if it is asleep.

DJ Racing

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Dec 29, 2012
Thanks for the reply. I believe Ive got it sorted out now. My other devices can access the internet if the mini is sleeping now. I cannot access screen sharing or file sharing on the mini if the mini is sleeping but I believe that's correct?

Thanks

Paulywauly

macrumors 6502a
Sep 26, 2009
Durham, UK
Thanks for the reply. I believe Ive got it sorted out now. My other devices can access the internet if the mini is sleeping now. I cannot access screen sharing or file sharing on the mini if the mini is sleeping but I believe that's correct?

Thanks

You wont be able to access anything on the Mini if its asleep

DJ Racing

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Dec 29, 2012
Yeah, that's what I figured. Everything is working great now. I've decided to leave it set to never sleep. I access it a lot from my laptop when Im at school and work so I think that's the best solution.

Thanks to everyone for the help

DJ Racing

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Dec 29, 2012
That is a good point. However my school schedule is different everyday. So it's easier to simply leave it on. My new idea would be to simply get another mini. Use one as my home server and the other as my home desktop. I could backup the second mini, MacBook Pro and my dads iMac to the server mini. I would also like to use the server mini as a home server for my iTunes movies and music plus for a web and file server. I feel like it would be fun to set all of this up plus a good learning experience since my major is information systems. Anyone ever do this or have some input on my idea?

Thanks

Fabricman112

macrumors regular
Apr 3, 2010
I have a Mini Server connected to WAN and LAN(wifi)...
enable Remote login, and ssh to external ip to wake up, now you can use remote desktop...

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.