Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

TahoeBlue

macrumors member
Original poster
Apr 4, 2012
I was so happy with my BTO 2.6 1tb Fusion Mac Mini until it decided to commit suicide via what I think was a kernel panic or something very pukey of that nature during the setup of a BootCamp partition.

Long story short, I had my Mac Mini set up and happy. I haven't used a Mac in over ten years and I love this little machine and OS X. The last thing I had to was set up BootCamp, because I have a few Steam PC games I like to play once in awhile, and Windows-only work apps that I have to access semi regularly.

Halfway through the BootCamp assistant set up, it got to partition the drive and just sat there for six hours stalled out at what I guesstimate as 60% complete. I just force quit the application. It never made the partition as far as I can tell, but my drive space was ridiculously small. Further attempts to creating the partition would fail. Disk Utility showed a ton of errors and said the drive needed repair. I would click repair over and over again.

Basically similar to what happened in this thread: https://forums.macrumors.com/threads/1511648/

I tried restoring from a Time Capsule backup that took four hours. Still didn't fix the problem. Now I am in the middle of a clean install after deleting the entire logical volume family in Terminal because it wouldn't let me delete single volumes. Then I guess restore from TC again for another four hours?

TahoeBlue

macrumors member
Original poster
Apr 4, 2012
I finally got it to install. Lessons learned:

1. Don't fill up the Mac Mini with a ton of files on the OSX side before installing BootCamp.

2. The BootCamp partition takes less than a minute to create, so if longer than that, there is a problem with the Fusion drive.

3. Make a clean backup of the Mac Mini with Time Machine before using BootCamp assistant, and then TURN OFF Time Machine in its options.

4. Disconnect all USB hard drives before going through the BootCamp set up.

Paul-B

macrumors newbie
Jan 2, 2013
Europe
Con-fusion

My 3Tb fusion drive states this when Boot Camp is booted:

"Boot Camp does not currently support installing Windows on a Mac with a 3 TB hard drive."

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.