Register FAQ / Rules Forum Spy Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read
Go Back   MacRumors Forums > Apple Systems and Services > Mac Basics and Help

Old Dec 30, 2012, 01:48 PM   #1
Fish7
macrumors newbie

How to change dock icons (applications, downloads folder, network drive)

I'm new to the world of Mac with a new MacBook Pro with retina. It's running OS X 10.8.2

How can I change the my dock icons. I've seen videos on how to change the basic dock icons like iTunes, Safari, etc..., but can't seem to find a way to change the folder/drive type icons in the dock.

I'd like to change my "Applications" folder icon, my "Downloads" folder icon, and my "Volume 1" (network drive) icon that opens access to my external hard drive.

What is the best way to change these dock icons?

Thanks so much!
Fish7 is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Jan 1, 2013, 10:30 AM   #2
vmachiel
macrumors 65816

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fish7 View Post
I'm new to the world of Mac with a new MacBook Pro with retina. It's running OS X 10.8.2

How can I change the my dock icons. I've seen videos on how to change the basic dock icons like iTunes, Safari, etc..., but can't seem to find a way to change the folder/drive type icons in the dock.

I'd like to change my "Applications" folder icon, my "Downloads" folder icon, and my "Volume 1" (network drive) icon that opens access to my external hard drive.

What is the best way to change these dock icons?

Thanks so much!
Most system icons are located here:

/System/Library/CoreServices/CoreTypes.bundle/Contents/Resources/

Be cautious when you change them, it's always a good idea to make a back up first.
Good luck
Old Jan 1, 2013, 06:32 PM   #3
Fish7
macrumors newbie

Thanks.

Excuse the ignorance, but how do I open CoreTypes.bundles so I can get the options to choose Contents>Resources?
Old Jan 1, 2013, 08:01 PM   #4
Drew017
macrumors 65816

Send a message via Skype™ to Drew017
try Candybar

----------

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fish7 View Post
Thanks.

Excuse the ignorance, but how do I open CoreTypes.bundles so I can get the options to choose Contents>Resources?
control+ click, show package contents
Drew017 is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Jan 1, 2013, 09:08 PM   #5
Fish7
macrumors newbie

Thanks. I was able to open the contents. Unfortunately, the icons I want to change are not listed in there.

I also tried CandyBar, but same thing. I can't seem to find the ones I want to change.

I'd like to try and change the icons for me external Hard Drive I have listed in my dock. It's listed as Volume 1 and when I click the icon, it opens the contents of my external Hard Drive. I can right click the icon and choose "Show in Finder", the open "get info", but haven't been able to change the icon.

Another one I'm looking to change is a "Windows 7 Applications Folder". This one opens Windows Applications that I can use via Parallels.

Any idea how I can change the icons for these?

Thanks so much for all the help!!!

MacRumors Forums > Apple Systems and Services > Mac Basics and Help