Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

lightz39

macrumors regular
Original poster
Nov 30, 2012
Does anyone have any experience with this mouse? I am thinking about returning my magic mouse and buying this instead. I love the magic mouse but I game on my macbook. The razer seems like a better bet for me in the long run. Just curious if you think this is a good buy or if anything else I should look at?

blueroom

macrumors 603
Feb 15, 2009
Toronto, Canada
I have one and love it. You'll need BTT to get two of the side buttons to do anything while wireless (won't work with the near useless Razor driver).

lightz39

macrumors regular
Original poster
Nov 30, 2012
I have one and love it. You'll need BTT to get two of the side buttons to do anything while wireless (won't work with the near useless Razor driver).

I don't so much mind about the side buttons. I never use the ones on my wireless mouse I have now. I just want a distinct left and right mouse click. The reason I don't want to use my current mouse is it has a wireless dongle that well sucks. I sit on my bed and have my laptop on my desk (like 2 feet away if that) and it freezes and lags. Bluetooth is much better imo.

Scrapula

macrumors 6502
May 1, 2012
Seattle, WA
I've been using mine for about 8 months. It takes 2 AA batteries and also comes with an emergency USB cable if you let the batteries die. You use the side buttons for the initial pairing. I turn mine off after use, then when it comes back on it does not need to be paired again. I really like it. It fits my hand nicely. I have last year's model that doesn't need the online software.

Blaine

macrumors 6502a
Dec 3, 2007
Abilene TX
I wish companies would release Bluetooth 4 mice that use low power. They're potentially supposed to last years before they need to be recharged. One website said keyboard batteries might last 7 years before needing to get replaced. I just don't understand why no one has made Bluetooth 4 peripherals yet. :/

Tucom

Cancelled
Jul 29, 2006
I wish companies would release Bluetooth 4 mice that use low power. They're potentially supposed to last years before they need to be recharged. One website said keyboard batteries might last 7 years before needing to get replaced. I just don't understand why no one has made Bluetooth 4 peripherals yet. :/

I think the new Orochi IS BlueTooth 4.0? I can't check at the moment but it was some newer technology.

Stella

macrumors G3
Apr 21, 2003
Canada
I think the new Orochi IS BlueTooth 4.0? I can't check at the moment but it was some newer technology.

No, Bluetooth 3.0.

I was very happy when this mouse worked with my early 2011 Macbook Pro - was expecting to have to use it wired.. Apple advertise BT2.1 + EDR, when in fact the early 2011 has Bluetooth 3.0.

Last edited:

blueroom

macrumors 603
Feb 15, 2009
Toronto, Canada
Got the 2013 Orochi today. BlueTooth 3.0 and higher resolution laser. Seems to have the buttons mapped as a keyboard so you can control all seven buttons on OSX (using BTT).

Superior in almost every way to the older Orochi except it goes to sleep in about 2 minutes but a wiggle and click wake it up.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.