Register FAQ / Rules Forum Spy Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read
Go Back   MacRumors Forums > Apple Hardware > Buying Tips and Advice

Reply
 
Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes
Old Dec 30, 2012, 06:38 PM   #1
thriftykid
macrumors newbie
 
Join Date: Dec 2012
Replacing stolen MacBook Pro

Hey there, long time lurker and first time poster. Just made an account because I need serious advice! I got my 2010 13" MacBook Pro stolen about a month ago. I've been saving up money and want to buy a new one in the next few weeks but I can't decide.

I don't want to splurge and the more expensive the laptop is the longer I'll have to wait to get it. I'm a student and have educational pricing as well. I know for sure I want a 13" laptop, 256gb SSD and 8gb of RAM. I do plan on using this as my primary computer for 4-5 years. If I go with a MBP should I install the SSD myself? Or is it better to have it preinstalled because I do use the optical drive.

$1639 for MBP with 8gb of ram, 256 SSD, 2.5 ghz i5
$1539 for MBA with same specs but 1.8 ghz i5
$1899 for rMBP with same specs as MBP

Like the MBP for the possibility of upgrades in future(still using 07 iMac thats running strong because of upgrades) but don't like the screen resolution. MBA is nice but the MBP is only 100 more for faster processor and optical drive. I really like the retina screen but not sure if its worth the price jump.

I also could wait until 2013 models come out but would be using an ipad for school and iMac at home which isn't as preferable as a laptop as my primary computer at home and on the go. Thanks for any advice!
thriftykid is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Dec 30, 2012, 07:01 PM   #2
SDAVE
macrumors 68020
 
Join Date: Jun 2007
Location: Nowhere
Sorry about getting your Mac stolen
Did you have Find My Mac installed? You should look into Undercover in the future to track stolen Macs. I believe some universities have insurance and will cover the stolen goods if you have such programs installed.

To answer your question, since you're a student, if you get the Refurb Macs, you're not saving much because you can easily get $100-200 off retail of brand new Macs.

If you are looking at the rMBP, I do not really think the 13" is a good value. Now the 15" is a fantastic machine, but I don't think it's the best purchase for a student.

You can definitely get an cMBP with the stock HDD and pop in a 256GB SSD yourself. There are plenty of price slashes right now and you can easily save money.

The biggest question to ask is, if you were happy with the 13", that means you liked the size of it and the speed. I would definitely recommend another 13" MBP. The MBA's are kind of small-ish and slower. I see them as mostly browsing/email/word processing/very light photo manipulation type of systems. At least the 2012 13" cMBP has an Intel HD4000, which is a decent integrated GPU (miles ahead of the 2010 integrated GPU)
__________________
iPhone 5, MacBook Pro (2011), Mac Pro 2008, Apple Cinema Display 30" Aluminium
SDAVE is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Dec 30, 2012, 10:00 PM   #3
thriftykid
Thread Starter
macrumors newbie
 
Join Date: Dec 2012
Thanks for the advice, I will definitely take it into account. I did have find my mac enabled but unfortunately the person who stole it never connected it to the internet. Sorry I should have clarified but the prices I listed were for new macs under student pricing.

If I were to get the cMBP with the basic hard drive would installing an SSD myself void the warranty? If so, I'd rather pay the money upfront to have them pre install it.
thriftykid is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Jan 1, 2013, 05:00 PM   #4
hallux
macrumors 6502a
 
Join Date: Apr 2012
Quote:
Originally Posted by thriftykid View Post

If I were to get the cMBP with the basic hard drive would installing an SSD myself void the warranty? If so, I'd rather pay the money upfront to have them pre install it.
NO. Apple considers the HDD and RAM user-serviceable, replacing either will NOT void your warranty on the system (except for those parts you changed). The best suggestion with that in mind, get the BASE CONFIG of the speed you want (with 4 GB RAM and the smallest HDD offered) then buy the upgrades you want. You'll save lots of money and get BETTER upgrades - 16 GB RAM costs less on Newegg than Apple wants for the BTO upgrade to 8 GB and a 256 GB SSD is less than half what Apple wants.

Here's the memory I used for comparison, it's the kit I have in my 15" and it's worked PERFECTLY for 6 months. http://www.newegg.com/Product/Produc...82E16820233265
__________________
2012 15" MBP, 2.3 GHz, 16 GB RAM, 500 GB HDD, Hi-Res glossy
hallux is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Jan 2, 2013, 04:05 AM   #5
Spink10
macrumors 68020
 
Spink10's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2011
Location: Oklahoma
Quote:
Originally Posted by hallux View Post
NO. Apple considers the HDD and RAM user-serviceable, replacing either will NOT void your warranty on the system (except for those parts you changed). The best suggestion with that in mind, get the BASE CONFIG of the speed you want (with 4 GB RAM and the smallest HDD offered) then buy the upgrades you want. You'll save lots of money and get BETTER upgrades - 16 GB RAM costs less on Newegg than Apple wants for the BTO upgrade to 8 GB and a 256 GB SSD is less than half what Apple wants.

Here's the memory I used for comparison, it's the kit I have in my 15" and it's worked PERFECTLY for 6 months. http://www.newegg.com/Product/Produc...82E16820233265
Do exactly what this person said. Why? Because you want to get the best MBP on a limited budget.
Spink10 is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Jan 2, 2013, 04:17 AM   #6
Yebubbleman
macrumors 68020
 
Yebubbleman's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2010
Location: Los Angeles, CA
Quote:
Originally Posted by thriftykid View Post
Hey there, long time lurker and first time poster. Just made an account because I need serious advice! I got my 2010 13" MacBook Pro stolen about a month ago. I've been saving up money and want to buy a new one in the next few weeks but I can't decide.

I don't want to splurge and the more expensive the laptop is the longer I'll have to wait to get it. I'm a student and have educational pricing as well. I know for sure I want a 13" laptop, 256gb SSD and 8gb of RAM. I do plan on using this as my primary computer for 4-5 years. If I go with a MBP should I install the SSD myself? Or is it better to have it preinstalled because I do use the optical drive.

$1639 for MBP with 8gb of ram, 256 SSD, 2.5 ghz i5
$1539 for MBA with same specs but 1.8 ghz i5
$1899 for rMBP with same specs as MBP

Like the MBP for the possibility of upgrades in future(still using 07 iMac thats running strong because of upgrades) but don't like the screen resolution. MBA is nice but the MBP is only 100 more for faster processor and optical drive. I really like the retina screen but not sure if its worth the price jump.

I also could wait until 2013 models come out but would be using an ipad for school and iMac at home which isn't as preferable as a laptop as my primary computer at home and on the go. Thanks for any advice!
Going for the non-retina 13" MacBook Pro makes the most economical sense. Plus it means you get to keep the optical drive that you use frequently. Upgrading the RAM is easy and cheap. Upgrading the SSD is just as easy, not as cheap. The only downside to not pre-configuring a 13" non-retina with an SSD is that you lose out on native TRIM support. No biggie, not even a little, but it's nice to have the OS actually support heathy usage of your SSD without having to download and use the TRIM Enabler every time there's an OS patch.

Otherwise, I'm sorry your computer got stolen. If my MacBook Pro got stolen, I don't know what I'd do.
__________________
MacBook Pro (15" Mid 2012); PC Tower (3.4GHz Phenom II x4; Radeon HD 6850); 5th Gen iPod touch; 2nd and 3rd Gen tv; iPad Air Verizon; Galaxy S5 Verizon
"Don't Cry, Eat Pie"
Yebubbleman is offline   0 Reply With Quote

Reply
MacRumors Forums > Apple Hardware > Buying Tips and Advice

Thread Tools Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search
Display Modes

Similar Threads
thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
Stolen MacBook Pro scottyent MacBook Pro 27 Jan 24, 2014 08:50 PM
Stolen MacBook Pro AppleCare aroseallen Community Discussion 6 Mar 5, 2013 07:00 PM
Stolen Macbook Pro rdrnr8 MacBook Pro 30 Jan 30, 2013 08:31 PM
Stolen/ Lost MacBook Pro iSchnappi MacBook Pro 26 Dec 5, 2012 08:29 AM
Stolen MacBook pro Bigyella MacBook Pro 32 Jun 21, 2012 10:36 PM

Forum Jump

All times are GMT -5. The time now is 09:07 AM.

Mac Rumors | Mac | iPhone | iPhone Game Reviews | iPhone Apps

Mobile Version | Fixed | Fluid | Fluid HD
Copyright 2002-2013, MacRumors.com, LLC