Go Back   MacRumors Forums > Apple Hardware > Buying Tips and Advice

Old Dec 30, 2012, 11:45 PM   #1
dinggus
Banned

Fitness Tracker

I'm confused on why people are buying Nike Fuelband, Jawbone UP, FitOne, etc.

Can someone explain to me the reason for tracking daily activities? I work out almost daily, and try to eat 6 small meals a day, etc. So, I'm just curious if this is just hype or if it's really working for people.

In my eyes, I just see it as an expensive motivator.
dinggus is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Jan 7, 2013, 09:39 PM   #2
dinggus
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by mlblacy View Post
Ding, actually there are a lot of people who would gladly pay $150 to lose even just 25lbs, especially if the weight loss is not tied to gimmicks like powders, pills, shakes, crappy prepared food (all of which likely would cost more in the long run). To me, it is a chance to try and build healthier long term habits, as opposed to a quick fix or a January resolution.

Here is the WSJ review:
http://online.wsj.com/article/SB1000...457618498.html
I understand. Thank you, I'll read it.
Old Jan 29, 2013, 09:41 PM   #3
xShane
macrumors 6502a

Quote:
Originally Posted by dinggus View Post
I'm confused on why people are buying Nike Fuelband, Jawbone UP, FitOne, etc.

Can someone explain to me the reason for tracking daily activities? I work out almost daily, and try to eat 6 small meals a day, etc. So, I'm just curious if this is just hype or if it's really working for people.

In my eyes, I just see it as an expensive motivator.
To be honest, I think it's because a lot of people out there feel that if they go buy expensive, name-brand products, they're going to accomplish their fitness goals (faster, or even, if, at all). I see it so many times; people buy Under Armour, the last $200 running shoes, etc, and they aren't even serious about working out or athletes.

Now on the other hand, if you're serious about working out or some type of athlete, then that's a totally different story.

"Be the change that you wish to see in the world."
xShane is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Jan 29, 2013, 09:43 PM   #4
dinggus
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by xShane View Post
To be honest, I think it's because a lot of people out there feel that if they go buy expensive, name-brand products, they're going to accomplish their fitness goals (faster, or even, if, at all). I see it so many times; people buy Under Armour, the last $200 running shoes, etc, and they aren't even serious about working out or athletes.

Now on the other hand, if you're serious about working out or some type of athlete, then that's a totally different story.
I agree, but I'm serious. Been hittin the gym since 2005 on and off and have been on for almost 2 years now.
Old Jan 30, 2013, 02:47 AM   #5
dinggus
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by marc11 View Post
I have a home gym, treadmill and bike in my house, never used them! But finally joinging the gym and I was incented to go on my way to or home from work, been going 4 to 5 days a week for a year now and do not see it stopping; in fact I work my life schedule around the gym days and not the other way around; I never have an excuse not to work out. Now I only use the home gym on days when getting to the gym is not possible as a back up solution.

Too many distractions at home and too easy to say that I will do it in the morning or after this one show, etc and never make it down to the workout room.

Me, I like the gym. I like working out with other people around and I like the variety, sometimes I use machines, or cables or dumbells or barbells, etc I like to mix it up.

BTW my gym cost USD10 per month, plus annual fee of $25. So my yearly membership is $145 USD. That means about 6 years to pay for that home gym...just saying.
I agree, I enjoy the gym. Forces me to go out and get my money's worth. I pay $0 annual fee, and only $30/month at 24hr fitness. I don't like working out when it's busy, so I either go 7-9am or 10pm+. But I do like people there, I tend to lift more.
Old Jan 30, 2013, 03:13 AM   #6
halledise
macrumors 65816

Quote:
Originally Posted by dinggus View Post
I agree, I enjoy the gym. Forces me to go out and get my money's worth. I pay $0 annual fee, and only $30/month at 24hr fitness. I don't like working out when it's busy, so I either go 7-9am or 10pm+. But I do like people there, I tend to lift more.
we pay $59 a month each hence the sums work for the home setup.
my point was that after 10+ years of gym - early mornings mostly and 6 days a week, the 2 appliances on the verandah at home overlooking the bush has been such a pleasant and economical alternative.

motivation is not an issue, but the growing number of posers at the public gym has become an issue.
also, no waiting for machines and no OP's sweat to wipe off
just my opinion.
still make it to the beach for a walk and a swim year round too
halledise is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Jan 30, 2013, 03:26 AM   #7
dinggus
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by halledise View Post
we pay $59 a month each hence the sums work for the home setup.
my point was that after 10+ years of gym - early mornings mostly and 6 days a week, the 2 appliances on the verandah at home overlooking the bush has been such a pleasant and economical alternative.

motivation is not an issue, but the growing number of posers at the public gym has become an issue.
also, no waiting for machines and no OP's sweat to wipe off
just my opinion.
still make it to the beach for a walk and a swim year round too
Don't get me wrong, I see your point, and I've even considered turning my garage into a home gym. I use to work out in my buddies garage with the garage door up, it was nice, and getting to listen to our type of gym music was a plus. I asked my buddy if he wanted to do that, and he agreed it would be nice as well but we get more motivation to lift heavier when there's competition around.
Old Jan 2, 2013, 08:59 PM   #8
Pharmscott
macrumors 6502a

I think it could make the exercise and/or dieting a little more fun and encourage folks to keep at it.
Pharmscott is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Jan 3, 2013, 12:27 AM   #9
dinggus
Banned

Okay, I'm just wondering. Someone keeps asking me what I want for Christmas even though it passed, so I'm debating on what to get. Nike Fuelband that will track daily activities besides running, or Nike GPS watch that will track running.
Old Jan 3, 2013, 09:25 AM   #10
jetjaguar
macrumors 68000

seems like a cool way to monitor your activity .. was thinking of picking up a fuelband .. someone gave me a fitbit as a gift but i think i would lose it
Old Jan 3, 2013, 11:14 AM   #11
ToomeyND
macrumors 6502

If you are trying to improve, the only way to know you are doing so is to measure your performance. I don't own any of these, but I'm also not looking to improve!

Edit: And it is a more fun and interactive approach than just timing yourself.
ToomeyND is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Jan 3, 2013, 02:47 PM   #12
dacreativeguy
macrumors 65832

For people (like me), going to the gym isn't fun in itself. If I can bring a few toys with me to keep me occupied, then it is worth the price.

That being said, I tried the UP Version 2 for a few weeks, and though it was a useful gadget and exercise encourager (maybe not $129 useful), it ultimately started falling apart like the Version 1. So buyer beware on that one.
dacreativeguy is offline   1 Reply With Quote
Old Jan 3, 2013, 03:06 PM   #13
dinggus
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by ToomeyND View Post
If you are trying to improve, the only way to know you are doing so is to measure your performance. I don't own any of these, but I'm also not looking to improve!

Edit: And it is a more fun and interactive approach than just timing yourself.
Wouldn't you see improvements in a few months of the gym?

MacRumors Forums > Apple Hardware > Buying Tips and Advice