Register FAQ / Rules Forum Spy Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read
Go Back   MacRumors Forums > iPhone, iPod and iPad > iPad

Old Dec 31, 2012, 05:06 PM   #1
cajun67
macrumors member

Kid broke his Mini screen; options?

My stepson was given an iPad Mini for Christmas. He's six. I protested that a six year old could be responsible for a $329 device. Sure enough, less than a week later, and he's already dropped it on the hardwood stairs and there's a spiderweb across the screen.

I hate to spend money to get it fixed, just to see him drop it again; I'm thinking of buying a screen protector and putting that on just to hold the glass together as long as possible. Do you think that will work?

What does it cost to replace the screen on the mini?
cajun67 is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Dec 31, 2012, 05:25 PM   #2
A Hebrew
macrumors 6502a

Tell your six year old to enjoy his new etch a sketch. (Make sure you go buy him one)
Old Dec 31, 2012, 05:31 PM   #3
ob81
macrumors 65816

Send a message via AIM to ob81 Send a message via MSN to ob81
If it doesn't have the applecare+, I think the cost is slightly less than a new one. If you didn't buy the iPad I would write it as a loss. Don't spend money on it.

Check with Apple on your options. Leave out the part about the iPad being your 6 yr olds and being dropped by the child.
Old Dec 31, 2012, 05:28 PM   #4
Piccio
macrumors member

Tablet for adults:

Tablet for kids:

Tablet for kids under the supervision of an adult:

Anyway go to an Apple Store and listen what they tell you, it will not be cheap in this case. Otherwise buy the screen with glass online, find a youtube video that explane how to do it and replace by yourself spending way less.
Piccio is offline   7 Reply With Quote
Old Dec 31, 2012, 06:41 PM   #5
MacRumorUser
macrumors Demi-God

Quote:
Originally Posted by Piccio View Post
Otherwise buy the screen with glass online, find a youtube video that explane how to do it and replace by yourself spending way less.
Its a mini. The screen and glass are laminated together. You can't just replace the glass.

I believe it's $219 to get your mini replaced by Apple, out of warranty.

Best solution = however you could buy Apple Care for $79 now and then once you've registered your device with the Apple Care, simply go and get it replaced under the extended apple care warranty cover.

Once its replaced buy a very protective case, or keep the mini for yourself and buy him a leapfrog....
MacRumorUser is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Dec 31, 2012, 06:43 PM   #6
PeanutButterMan
Banned

Tell him to get a job and pay for a new one. Responsibility!
PeanutButterMan is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Dec 31, 2012, 06:50 PM   #7
MacRumorUser
macrumors Demi-God

Quote:
Originally Posted by PeanutButterMan View Post
Oh yeah let's all force a 6 year old into child labour to teach him a lesson for basically being a child (which generally happen to be childlike with things)...

Seriously guys get a grip. The responsibility is on the parents / guardians to supervise children with expensive electronics. The OP was right to be concerned in the first instance, but I imagine had little choice in the end as the purchasing seems to have been done by his partner.

So it basically boils down to fixing the situation now with the added benefit of hindsight.

Get the Apple Care, get the iPad replaced, and then decide to keep it for the adults in the house, enforce parental control so that he can only used by the child when under supervised company, or sell it off and buy him something else.
MacRumorUser is offline   2 Reply With Quote
Old Dec 31, 2012, 07:07 PM   #8
HazyCloud
macrumors 68030

If you do end up replacing it, you may try a case that he may actually like and wouldn't mind using.

http://www.speckproducts.com/iguy-for-ipad-mini.html

Quote:
Originally Posted by MacRumorUser View Post
Best solution = however you could buy Apple Care for $79 now and then once you've registered your device with the Apple Care, simply go and get it replaced under the extended apple care warranty cover.

Once its replaced buy a very protective case, or keep the mini for yourself and buy him a leapfrog....
AC+ is $99 and he may have to bring it in before purchasing.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	spk-a1517_iguy-for-ipadmini-lime_3qfront_2_3.jpg
Views:	41
Size:	196.6 KB
ID:	387045  
Old Jan 1, 2013, 09:58 AM   #9
PeanutButterMan
Banned

Quote:
Oh yeah let's all force a 6 year old into child labour to teach him a lesson for basically being a child (which generally happen to be childlike with things)...
I have no problem with this.
PeanutButterMan is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Jan 2, 2013, 03:20 PM   #10
Fruit Cake
macrumors 6502a

Quote:
Originally Posted by PeanutButterMan View Post
I hear Foxconn are hiring!
Fruit Cake is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Jan 1, 2013, 03:28 AM   #11
Defender2010
macrumors 68000

Quote:
Its a mini. The screen and glass are laminated together. You can't just replace the glass.

I believe it's $219 to get your mini replaced by Apple, out of warranty.

This is wrong. There is no lamination on the Mini. Check iFixit tear down.
Old Jan 2, 2013, 07:44 PM   #12
Fry-man22
macrumors 6502

Quote:
This is 100% incorrect. Screen glass and LCD are NOT laminated.
Old Jan 3, 2013, 04:17 AM   #13
MacRumorUser
macrumors Demi-God

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fry-man22 View Post
This is 100% incorrect. Screen glass and LCD are NOT laminated.
Yeah I was corrected earlier, I assumed they were
MacRumorUser is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Jan 1, 2013, 02:19 PM   #14
dinggus
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by Piccio View Post
Tablet for kids under the supervision of an adult:

Anyway go to an Apple Store and listen what they tell you, it will not be cheap in this case. Otherwise buy the screen with glass online, find a youtube video that explane how to do it and replace by yourself spending way less.
I don't even think I'd let a kid use an iPad under adult supervision.
dinggus is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Jan 1, 2013, 02:45 PM   #15
jmcrutch
macrumors regular

I second a previous poster's rec that the OP check whether the credit card he/she used to purchase the iPad Mini offers Purchase Protection for accidental damage in the first 60 or 90 days. I was able to utilize this form of "insurance" when I dropped my iPhone 5 just 2 weeks after buying it. AmEx Insurance paid for my new replacement. And, Apple offered me AppleCare for the replacement at only $50 instead of the normal $100, so I'm covered on the new one as well.
Old Jan 1, 2013, 03:06 PM   #16
broboore
macrumors regular

Have you considered a Squaretrade warranty? They offer accidental damage as well.
broboore is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Dec 31, 2012, 06:01 PM   #17
PattyMc
macrumors newbie

I would go to an Apple Store and tell them what happened, I have heard many times of them replacing it if it has only been a week or less of ownership and especially if a child dropped it. If, and that's a big if, they replace it then make sure to purchase an Otterbox Defender or something similar and put it on it right away before child touches it! Good luck to you and I'm hoping that Apple will surprise you! Oh and it might help if you told them that you would purchase AppleCare + on a replacement...can't hurt to try this!
PattyMc is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Dec 31, 2012, 06:14 PM   #18
rrjr80
macrumors member

The elitists of the MacRumors forums judging the decisions of others yet again. Some of you desperately need to find something better to do with your time.

The best bet is to take it to an Apple store and see if they are willing to assist you. Some stores are more accommodating than others.
rrjr80 is offline   2 Reply With Quote
Old Dec 31, 2012, 06:15 PM   #19
macjram
macrumors 6502a

Ouch. Is there an Otterbox for the iPad Mini? I hear they have really great protection.
Old Dec 31, 2012, 06:18 PM   #20
rrjr80
macrumors member

There is an Otterbox which would protect it well if a child is using it. The Griffin Survivor case is also a great option, which some reviews say protects even better than the Otterbox.
rrjr80 is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Jan 1, 2013, 09:04 AM   #21
pooleman
macrumors 65816

Quote:
Originally Posted by macjram View Post
Ouch. Is there an Otterbox for the iPad Mini? I hear they have really great protection.
I have the Otterbox Defender for my Mini and really like it. I haven't tried dropping yet. IMHO a 6 year old child should not be given a $329 tablet, or anything for that matter. I think the most advanced thing I had at 6 years old was an RC car (tethered) and a bucket of army men.
Old Jan 1, 2013, 12:29 PM   #22
mrkjsn
macrumors 6502

Quote:
Originally Posted by pooleman View Post
I have the Otterbox Defender for my Mini and really like it. I haven't tried dropping yet. IMHO a 6 year old child should not be given a $329 tablet, or anything for that matter. I think the most advanced thing I had at 6 years old was an RC car (tethered) and a bucket of army men.
We live in a much different world now than when we were growing up. I think that it's really all about training your child to know when and when not to use it. You set the guidelines just like everything else in their life. I want them to get used to these technologies at a very young age. My son spends most of his time on his iPad using the Solar Walk app and he's learning quite a bit out of it. Add to it all the other learning apps out there and I think it serves as a great learning tool for them.

Some basic guidelines I have for my kids and their iPads...
1. Not while drinking or eating.
2. Wash hands before touching them.
3. Only mom or dad can plug or unplug the chargers.
4. Only use them when sitting down.
5. Turn it off and secure it while walking around the house.
6. No taking it out of the house unless we specifically say they can take it.

Treat it like the device is yours and you're only giving them the priveledge to use them and you should be alright. I can't stress enough the importance of having a child proof case. While my kids has never dropped their iPads, I know that accidents can happen even to adults. Heck, my wife has had her share of cracked iPhones.
Old Dec 31, 2012, 08:48 PM   #23
Nychot
macrumors 6502a

Quote:
Originally Posted by PattyMc View Post
I would go to an Apple Store and tell them what happened, I have heard many times of them replacing it if it has only been a week or less of ownership and especially if a child dropped it. If, and that's a big if, they replace it then make sure to purchase an Otterbox Defender or something similar and put it on it right away before child touches it! Good luck to you and I'm hoping that Apple will surprise you! Oh and it might help if you told them that you would purchase AppleCare + on a replacement...can't hurt to try this!
Sorry but apple isnt that sympathetic re cracked mini screens. If you bought it within 30 days call apple.com and buy applecare plus for $99. Then take the mini to the apple store. And pay $50 fir a replacement. It happened to me and apple doesnt give breaks on damage replacement. They know the screen is VERY thin and easily broken.
Nychot is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Dec 31, 2012, 09:46 PM   #24
mark_wilkins
macrumors member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nychot View Post
Sorry but apple isnt that sympathetic re cracked mini screens. If you bought it within 30 days call apple.com and buy applecare plus for $99. Then take the mini to the apple store. And pay $50 fir a replacement. It happened to me and apple doesnt give breaks on damage replacement. They know the screen is VERY thin and easily broken.
My experience is that you cannot buy Applecare+ after purchase without them physically inspecting the device at an Apple Store to ensure that it's in good condition. Their practice could potentially be different online, but I know that they're pretty much sticklers about this at the stores.

Edit: I just checked, and you cannot add Applecare+ on the online store unless you buy it with the covered device. Their page for the product makes clear that if you want to purchase it after the fact, you must bring proof of purchase and the device to an Apple Store for inspection.
Old Dec 31, 2012, 10:04 PM   #25
Nychot
macrumors 6502a

Quote:
Originally Posted by mark_wilkins View Post
My experience is that you cannot buy Applecare+ after purchase without them physically inspecting the device at an Apple Store to ensure that it's in good condition. Their practice could potentially be different online, but I know that they're pretty much sticklers about this at the stores.

Edit: I just checked, and you cannot add Applecare+ on the online store unless you buy it with the covered device. Their page for the product makes clear that if you want to purchase it after the fact, you must bring proof of purchase and the device to an Apple Store for inspection.
Sorry but if you call apple on 800 line and ask to purchase applecare plus you can buy it that way. I've done it fir 3 minis and a couple of ipads at duferent times. They only eant to know the date of purchase to make sure urs within the 30 day window. In two cases they matched the lower squaretrade price. There was never a question re inspection.
Nychot is offline   0 Reply With Quote

MacRumors Forums > iPhone, iPod and iPad > iPad