Go Back   MacRumors Forums > Apple Hardware > Desktops > Mac mini

Old Jan 1, 2013, 12:56 PM   #1
crashwins
macrumors member

2012 quad-core Mini for FCP, Photoshop, etc?

I noticed the new Mini only used an integrated graphics chip and has no VRAM. Will this cut it for intense work on FCP and Photoshop compared to, say, the MacBook Pro quad-core with the dedicated GPU? Thanks
crashwins is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Jan 1, 2013, 01:33 PM   #2
Nate392
macrumors member

The mini actually does have VRAM, it's just integrated with the System RAM. For example, if you were to upgrade the RAM on the mini to 16GB, you get 768 GB of VRAM. The mini has a really nice CPU, and I have no troubles using Photoshop, but I don't use it as a Professional so, YMMV...

From what I've seen from other forums, other people have no issues at all with the mini and using Photoshop, so it's not like the mini "can't be used."

But as far as rendering and such, the GPU in the MBP is going to make a difference. It mostly depends on whether you want to save money, or do a lot of rendering.
Nate392 is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Jan 1, 2013, 06:17 PM   #3
Mojo1
macrumors 65816

It really depends on what you will be doing with Photoshop. Some functions benefit significantly from using a discrete GPU. Barefeats.com has tests comparing the Mini's Intel HD 4000 to the GPUs used in the iMacs. And Adobe has a comprehensive list of the Photoshop features that benefit from discrete GPUs.

I'm a pro photographer but the kind of editing that I do does not require using those Photoshop features. If I did a lot of image editing that takes advantage of a discrete GPU the Mini would not be suitable for me.
Mojo1 is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Jan 1, 2013, 09:07 PM   #4
Nate392
macrumors member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mojo1 View Post
It really depends on what you will be doing with Photoshop. Some functions benefit significantly from using a discrete GPU.
While this is true, I'd like to add, though it's not quite as significant of an improvement, Intel GPUs (such as the HD 4000) are supported by these functions, too.
Old Jan 1, 2013, 10:19 PM   #5
Exodist
macrumors member

The L2012 Mac Minis are perfectly fine for Photoshop work. I use Lightroom and Photoshop almost daily as a hobby I am trying to go pro with. Even with the basic 1TB 5400RPM HDD in my system, a jpeg photo with resolution of 4608x2592 and starting PS up for the first time that day. PS can be up in about 3 secs with the photo following alone in about 6 to 8 secs. Rendering is basically instant on any changes done. I have the 2.6Ghz CPU, but IMHO the key here is just little extra RAM. I have 8 GB giving me room to load photos up into memory faster without having to cache applications to the HDD. IMHO the dual core i5 model should be fine as well, but you may have to be slightly more patient of course. But I would still recommend 8GB of RAM even with the i5.
As far as the Integrated GPU in concerned -vs- say a NV GTX 560ti I have in my windows gaming machine. Mehh,, no real life changing differences. Matter of fact, other then it saying it is "enhanced" or what ever it was using the NV card. I havent noticed anything. I am sure there is some rendering speed benefits mind you. But over all the Ivy Core CPUs in the Minis are very fast anyway. SO unless your on a slow celeron system, thats prob the only real place your gonna notice a an internal video card really helping over in integrated one in this case. At least this is my experience. Like posted above. Your milage may very..
Old Jan 1, 2013, 10:30 PM   #6
Mojo1
macrumors 65816

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nate392 View Post
While this is true, I'd like to add, though it's not quite as significant of an improvement, Intel GPUs (such as the HD 4000) are supported by these functions, too.
Yes, they are supported... But the speed differences between the HD4000 and the tested discrete GPUs at Barefeats.com are significant. It's well worth a look if you are considering buying a Mini and you do a lot of work with Photoshop. I can't say how Final Cut Pro performance improves when using a discrete card.
Mojo1 is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Jan 1, 2013, 10:50 PM   #7
Nate392
macrumors member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mojo1 View Post
Yes, they are supported... But the speed differences between the HD4000 and the tested discrete GPUs at Barefeats.com are significant. It's well worth a look if you are considering buying a Mini and you do a lot of work with Photoshop. I can't say how Final Cut Pro performance improves when using a discrete card.
Yeah, that's what I was basically saying... I guess I was a bit unclear, sorry... xP
But I have no issues at all with my mini and PS, and it seems that other users (incl. above user) don't have any trouble either. As long as heavy rendering isn't a factor, the mini in can be a better choice than an iMac.

MacRumors Forums > Apple Hardware > Desktops > Mac mini