Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

iMike97

macrumors member
Original poster
Mar 7, 2011
New York
Recently I've been deciding whether or not to purhcase the iPad Mini..

What are the odds that a better one comes out in March?

Should I just buy it or wait?

irDigital0l

Dec 7, 2010
If you need one now go get it, you will surely enjoy using it.

If you can wait, your wait will surely be worth it too (Apple will most have great new features and improvements for the iPad Mini 2).

AppleRobert

macrumors 603
Nov 12, 2012
I doubt a Mini 2 will be coming out in March and if it did, it ain't going to start at $329.

More like a thinner and lighter iteration of 4th gen if there is a March release.

I'd say buy the current Mini now.

Eddie Bombay

macrumors 6502
Aug 27, 2011
Get one now, you wont regret it or end up being one of those people who always waits for the next best thing and ends up with nothing because they're always thinking about waiting. Even if a retina display is around the corner it's not going to weigh the same as the original mini.

kodeman53

macrumors 65816
May 4, 2012
Recently I've been deciding whether or not to purhcase the iPad Mini..

What are the odds that a better one comes out in March?

Should I just buy it or wait?

Strangers on the Internet don't know your situation nor do strangers on the Internet know Apple's product plans.

If you need one now, buy it.
If you want one now, buy it.

HazyCloud

macrumors 68030
Jun 30, 2010
Strangers on the Internet don't know your situation nor do strangers on the Internet know Apple's product plans.

If you need one now, buy it.
If you want one now, buy it.

OP, on that note, your average consumer also doesn't keep up with Apple news so you can easily sell yours when the new iPad mini is announced and get a good percentage back.

joshwithachance

macrumors 68010
Dec 11, 2009
I was too tempted and bought one the day after Christmas (From Tekserve). If you always wait for the next version of something you'll never have and enjoy the current one. :)

raccoonboy

macrumors 6502a
Oct 22, 2012
If you have the money and they have the availability then just buy it.

Sometimes thinking too much will just take away more time for you to be with the device. Took me long enough to get the Ipad that when i finally got it, i also got a new job and didn't really have time to play with it much.

A Hebrew

macrumors 6502a
Jan 7, 2012
Minnesota
WAIT.

I heard a rumor the next iPad mini will feature Intel 4th generation Mobile processors (2.7 gHz quad core) and a NVIDIA GTM 740.

iThinkergoiMac

macrumors 68030
Jan 20, 2010
Terra
I doubt a Mini 2 will be coming out in March and if it did, it ain't going to start at $329.

I'm always amused when people claim that Apple will surely raise prices when they haven't done this historically. The iPad has remained at the same price point since it's introduction, what makes you think this would change for the mini? Before you mention the retina display, remember that Apple did NOT raise the price on either the iPhone or the iPad when they introduced the retina display on those models.

Piccio

macrumors member
Dec 10, 2012

More like a thinner and lighter iteration of 4th gen if there is a March release.

I think that iPad Mini 2 will start at $349 anyway, March or Fall and it will be somewhat justified by the big changes. With the 1st gen Mini starting $229-$249

I'm always amused when people claim that Apple will surely raise prices when they haven't done this historically. The iPad has remained at the same price point since it's introduction, what makes you think this would change for the mini? Before you mention the retina display, remember that Apple did NOT raise the price on either the iPhone or the iPad when they introduced the retina display on those models.
iPad 3 $479
iPad 4 $499

For example...

Last edited:

HazyCloud

macrumors 68030
Jun 30, 2010
I think that iPad Mini 2 will start at $349 anyway, March or Fall and it will be somewhat justified by the big changes. With the 1st gen Mini starting $229-$249

iPad 3 $479
iPad 4 $499

For example...

The iPad Tré didn't launch at $479, it was $499.

ChristianVirtual

macrumors 601
May 10, 2010
日本
If you can afford now and like it now get it now. Waiting for the next iteration is easier with a current one :rolleyes:

I would do it, but I don't like it so I need to wait without it (because I'm a retina addictive)

raccoonboy

macrumors 6502a
Oct 22, 2012

Ipad mini 2 price will not change. Apple already charged the retina screen cost on the first Ipad mini thats why it is at $329. Some will just buy it because they can afford and some will just wait because they think the price is ridiculous.

i just think that apple has ruined their Ipod touch 5 and Ipad sales at a big chunk.

HazyCloud

macrumors 68030
Jun 30, 2010
Ipad mini 2 price will not change. Apple already charged the retina screen cost on the first Ipad mini thats why it is at $329. Some will just buy it because they can afford and some will just wait because they think the price is ridiculous.

i just think that apple has ruined their Ipod touch 5 and Ipad sales at a big chunk.

Nah, they haven't ruined anything. If someone wants an iPod Touch, they'll get one. I doubt anyone wants to go running with an iPad mini. Same goes for the iPad. If they want an iPad at 9.7, that's probably what they'll end up getting. While the iPad mini is a very nice device, I don't think it hurt sales numbers. Of course we'll never know since Apple calls both devices "iPads" when discussing numbers.

cfs112

macrumors member
Oct 26, 2012
Buy now and enjoy it! Life is too short to wait on things like new product releases!

Spungoflex

macrumors 6502
Oct 30, 2012
The likelihood of a new one coming out out march is 0.0%. It's not happening.

That said, the ppi on the mini is atrocious. Wait until they release a retina version (might be a few years).

markm49uk

macrumors regular
Mar 12, 2008
Kingston Upon Hull, UK
The likelihood of a new one coming out out march is 0.0%. It's not happening.

That said, the ppi on the mini is atrocious. Wait until they release a retina version (might be a few years).

I have to disagree here - whilst the PPI is not retina the clarity of the mini is still pretty good and I have to wonder if you actually have seen one or are just quoting specs?

I went from an iPad 2 to a Mini and the screen is so much better on the Mini. My daughters each have the iPad 4 retina and I'll be honest I can't see what all the fuss is about - it doesn't look 'that' different to the Mini in my opinion.

Spungoflex

macrumors 6502
Oct 30, 2012
I have to disagree here - whilst the PPI is not retina the clarity of the mini is still pretty good and I have to wonder if you actually have seen one or are just quoting specs?

I went from an iPad 2 to a Mini and the screen is so much better on the Mini. My daughters each have the iPad 4 retina and I'll be honest I can't see what all the fuss is about - it doesn't look 'that' different to the Mini in my opinion.

I've owned a mini, a retina ipad and a nexus 7. I returned the mini due to the poor screen. It has 2010 resolution in 2013. Not acceptable, in my opinion.

There is a very noticeable improvement from the mini to the nexus 7. Compared to the retina ipad... forget about it. It's a night and day difference.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.