Go Back   MacRumors Forums > Apple Hardware > Desktops > iMac

Old Jan 1, 2013, 03:47 PM   #1
AngelGuy7
macrumors regular

Yellow Screen on New 2012 iMac

So I received my 27" iMac and the first thing I noticed is that the screen is considerably more yellow than my 2007 Macbook Pro and my iPhone 5, especially towards the bottom of the display. At first I wasn't sure if it was just the angle at which I'm viewing the screen, but after some testing I'm fairly certain that I have a faulty screen. Attached are two photos that I took at 50% brightness with 2 different test images.

I also attached one of the test images that I created to highlight this with the hope that others can confirm that their 2012 iMac doesn't exhibit this issue. If you open it fullscreen in Preview the white boxes at the top and bottom should appear the same. I also tried using the Apple calibration utility and managed to remove some of the yellow that plagued the entire screen (and made it more of a "cool white" like my MBP and iPhone 5) but the bottom still seemed yellow.

Looking at my photos would you guys agree that my screen is yellower towards the bottom? I feel like it starts to get yellower midway and then progressively gets worse towards the bottom of the screen.

Do you think I'll be better off trying to get a replacement at a retail store location, call the online store and ask for a replacement, or ask to have the screen replaced? I actually had this same issue with my 2007 Macbook Pro and got it replaced at the Apple Store after I showed the Genius my test image but I'm worried this time around that they'll try to tell me it's the viewing angle or say that they don't have any replacement screens in stock. I've also never sent an Apple product to a repair center so I'm not sure how that process works and I'm a bit concerned that they won't see the yellowing since its a bit subjective and I won't be there to "argue my case".

I'm not sure what to do.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	Picture 1.JPG
Views:	686
Size:	1.30 MB
ID:	387246   Click image for larger version

Name:	Picture 2.JPG
Views:	346
Size:	1.12 MB
ID:	387247   Click image for larger version

Name:	Test Image.JPG
Views:	284
Size:	60.3 KB
ID:	387250  

AngelGuy7 is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Jan 1, 2013, 04:08 PM   #2
DerekS
macrumors regular

If it's something you can only see when running test patterns, I wouldn't worry about it.
DerekS is offline   1 Reply With Quote
Old Jan 1, 2013, 04:19 PM   #3
AngelGuy7
macrumors regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by DerekS View Post
If it's something you can only see when running test patterns, I wouldn't worry about it.
Like I said it's something that I noticed almost immediately. I could be in Safari, Finder, Calendar, etc and see it. I only use the test patterns to help confirm what I believe I see.

What I'm unsure of is this if:
  1. anyone else sees it
  2. this is considered acceptable on a screen this large (and with varying viewing angles throughout the screen) since I've never had a screen this large
  3. and if others also think that my screen is yellowing then how best should I proceed in getting it fixed considering the subjective nature of the problem and the current manufacturing constraints
AngelGuy7 is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Jan 1, 2013, 04:43 PM   #4
thekev
macrumors 603

Quote:
Originally Posted by AngelGuy7 View Post
Like I said it's something that I noticed almost immediately. I could be in Safari, Finder, Calendar, etc and see it. I only use the test patterns to help confirm what I believe I see.

What I'm unsure of is this if:
  1. anyone else sees it
  2. this is considered acceptable on a screen this large (and with varying viewing angles throughout the screen) since I've never had a screen this large
  3. and if others also think that my screen is yellowing then how best should I proceed in getting it fixed considering the subjective nature of the problem and the current manufacturing constraints
Acceptable is subjective. This likely passes QA, but you can return it and try again if it bothers you. It seems to, so I would suggest this rather than allowing the irritation to fester. Uniformity has always been a problem in larger displays. I mention more about that below. It shouldn't look distinctively yellow, but the cMBP displays have always been a bit on the cold side where this past generation they've been tracking closer to sRGB. It can look different, but it shouldn't look truly yellow. I'm not sure how to better explain it.

The last thing I'd mention is that the yellow thing has come up with many generations. If you look a generation back, you'll see it mentioned there too. People want to think of this as a perfectly engineered product, but it's a mass market item. Smaller companies that produce upper mid range displays in the $1-3k range use a number of methods to engineer around such problems whenever possible. These include vetted panels shared with a cheaper product line, panel blocking adjustments so that they optimize the black level to the lighter patches and white levels to the darkest patches, display LUT systems to ensure a better distribution of tones and slightly more leverage dialing in color temperature for a slightly warmer or cooler look, adjustable height stands to minimize off angle gamma shifts, and a bunch of other stuff.

It's not really a simple topic. In this case of Apple displays, if you're not happy reject/return it and try again as some are better than others. If you get a near perfect one with good uniformity, a colorimeter can be used to slightly tune its behavior. I mention slightly as you don't want to attempt to drive drastically different behavior by profile instructions. It can cause problems.
Old Jan 6, 2013, 05:30 AM   #5
FluffyPop
macrumors member

My display has exactly the same problem and I'm also wondering whether I should return it or live with of for the lifetime of the Mac; whenever I decide to return it and then sit down in front of it I decide it's not that bad after all, but then it starts to bug me again.

The thing is, the problem is not only visible only when running test patterns. It manifests itself very clearly when there's a lot of white on the screen (which becomes yellow on the bottom part of the display) or, especially, grey (which becomes brownish). Viewing angles seem to make a difference too; it becomes less noticeable if I lower my head and look up - but that's no way to look at a display for any length of time.

If there were an Apple store nearby, I'd just go there and ask. But there are none in Denmark where I live, and I'm afraid to start a process which would involve shipping products back and forth only to have Apple not acknowledge the issue in the end.

Bummer.
FluffyPop is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Jan 6, 2013, 10:42 AM   #6
Calipad
macrumors member

I just got my 2012 27" and I do not have the yellowing that you have. My screen is warmer than my last one but I don't have the obvious yellowing in the pix above.

I would return it.
Calipad is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Mar 30, 2013, 04:51 AM   #7
akbarali.ch
macrumors 6502

iMac 2013 Screen blotch

Here's my imac screen, I don't recall when it happened, noticed while restarting, that's when the whole screen goes white an i spotted it. its been 3 months with imac, its a beautiful machine and works great and then this happened.
I'll be taking to the store, let see what happens, but anyone has any idea whether they'll repair it exchange it?
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_5890.JPG
Views:	73
Size:	2.74 MB
ID:	405313  
Old Mar 30, 2013, 05:21 AM   #8
Mac32
macrumors 6502a

I shake my head sometimes reading posts in this forum. Someone actually went through 8 iMacs?! Man, Apple support employees are a patient bunch. If I was the owner of a business, I would be furious over costumers like that. Computers with real defects should obviously be replaced, and we should all demand better technology in future products, but...
First off all, all iMacs will have some glow, esp. in the corners, that's the IPS technology. All iMacs will produce a certain degree of yellow/orange hue in the lower half, which is related to viewing angles (again IPS limitation). The fact that the late 2012 iMac screen has an overall slightly warmer hue is a good thing! I have to use f.lux on my older MacBook Pro and MacBook Air because they have screens with a harsh, blue-ish hue, which is hard on the eyes.
Jeez!

Last edited by Mac32; Mar 30, 2013 at 05:34 AM.
Mac32 is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old May 27, 2013, 07:49 AM   #9
mlody
macrumors regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mac32 View Post
I shake my head sometimes reading posts in this forum. Someone actually went through 8 iMacs?! Man, Apple support employees are a patient bunch. If I was the owner of a business, I would be furious over costumers like that. Computers with real defects should obviously be replaced, and we should all demand better technology in future products, but...
First off all, all iMacs will have some glow, esp. in the corners, that's the IPS technology. All iMacs will produce a certain degree of yellow/orange hue in the lower half, which is related to viewing angles (again IPS limitation). The fact that the late 2012 iMac screen has an overall slightly warmer hue is a good thing! I have to use f.lux on my older MacBook Pro and MacBook Air because they have screens with a harsh, blue-ish hue, which is hard on the eyes.
Jeez!
I went through 4 2012 iMac's (1x 27" and 3x 21.5") and all had various problems with screen. The last one was the best out of bunch, but I was already upset with Apple and was really concerned if my machine would had to be replaced for some other warranty reasons down the road, I could potentially ended up (again) with the one with busted screen.

I like the iMac design and was ready to accept the fact that upgradability is non-existent, but I couldn't deal with the fact that screen quality is a gamble on those, so the 4th iMac went back and I didn't get another one. I will wait for the WWDC conference to see where the Mac OS is heading and if I still like it, I will most likely end up getting a new mac mini and a screen of my choice that wont be yellow or with busted corners.

As far as the IPS panel technology, I am not sure if I agree. It is my understanding that the IPS panels have the best viewing angles and color reproduction and the only area that they are behind other technologies is the response time, so I am not sure if I buy the statement that every iMac will have problems with screen because of the panel characteristic
mlody is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old May 27, 2013, 10:48 PM   #10
jmhart
macrumors regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by mlody View Post
As far as the IPS panel technology, I am not sure if I agree. It is my understanding that the IPS panels have the best viewing angles and color reproduction and the only area that they are behind other technologies is the response time, so I am not sure if I buy the statement that every iMac will have problems with screen because of the panel characteristic
Not all IPS panels have this corner light refraction problem, but this particular 3-4 generation old LG they continue to use in the 2012 iMac does as does my 3 generation old LG 32" IPS TV that I use for a monitor--and is why I refused to buy an iMac yet. My guess is they knew they were going to have yield problems at first with the new screen laminating process introduced in the 2012 so they stuck with cheap panels to keep costs down. I've got my fingers crossed that they've got it figured out now and will upgrade the panel for the 2013. The yellowing problem is likely a result of the laminating process as the original iPad had the same problem. I went through 3 of them before getting one that didn't have a terrible yellow/warm cast on the right side, finally settling on a unit that also had the problem but it was much less noticeable than the first 2.
jmhart is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Jul 11, 2013, 02:00 PM   #11
Chippy99
macrumors 6502a

I have never understood all the hype about IPS panels. They are pretty crap in my view, with very poor screen uniformity, terrible black levels, clouding and other horrors.

Consistent colour at different viewing angles, yes. But at the expensive of poor performance in every other parameter.

Samsung PVA, S-PVA, MVA and whatever derivatives are to my eyes much better. For sure, my EIZO S-PVA panel outclasses my iMac screen in every measurable way. And I have a "good" iMac screen!

Still, the whole industry seems to disagree with me so there you go.
Chippy99 is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old May 27, 2013, 12:51 AM   #12
jmhart
macrumors regular

I seem to recall some previous reports of yellowish screens having something to do with the material they use to "glue" the screen to the glass and that it goes away over time. I can see it in your pics but it seems pretty mild.

Just bear in mind you're unlikely to get a perfect unit. For instance, how's your backlight bleed? That's another common flaw with these screens. If you have little to none now you might want to decide which problem would bother you more. You may find the issue with this unit bothers you less than what you may find on a replacement.

My rule of thumb is 3 swaps after which I figure I'm just too picky and need to give up, get my money back and look elsewhere. I went through 2 swaps when I bought my Epson 1080p projector, 2 swaps on my Ipad 1, 1 swap on my iPad 3, 3 swaps on a Dell monitor, and gave up after 3 swaps of the Samsung Epic 4G (and now refuse to buy their products anymore as a result) so trust me, I feel your pain. Quality control just isn't what it used to be or it's just not possible to manufacture enough quantity of these products without the variations from unit to unit.
jmhart is offline   0 Reply With Quote

MacRumors Forums > Apple Hardware > Desktops > iMac