Register FAQ / Rules Forum Spy Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read
Go Back   MacRumors Forums > News and Article Discussion > MacRumors.com News Discussion

Old Jan 1, 2013, 03:48 PM   #1
MacRumors
macrumors bot

2013 iPhone and iOS 7 Already Appearing in Developer's Logs

TheNextWeb reports that at least one iOS app developer has already spotted references to the next iPhone and iOS 7 in their app logs.
Quote:
One developer showed us that Apple has been testing hardware relating to a new 'iPhone6,1? identifier, powered by a device running iOS 7, which is expected to be released by Apple in the middle part of this year.
For reference, the current iPhone 5 carries an "iPhone5,1" and "iPhone5,2" identifiers. The specific entries were associated with Apple campus IP addresses, making it more likely they were legitimate entries.

Apple first announced iOS 6 at WWDC 2012 in June. iOS 6 was then released to the public in September. The iPhone 5 was also launched in September 2012.

There have been few hints about what might be expected in iOS 7 and the next generation iPhone, though there have been persistent rumors of Apple investigating the use of Near Field Communication for payments. Other rumors have suggested that the 2013 iPhone could arrive earlier than expected with a mid-year launch rather than later in the year.

Update: Letemsvetemapplem.eu let us know that they had seen iOS 7 in their weblogs. Looking at MacRumors analytics, we found that iOS 7 visits here starting in December:

Article Link: 2013 iPhone and iOS 7 Already Appearing in Developer's Logs
MacRumors is offline   2 Reply With Quote
Old Jan 1, 2013, 03:50 PM   #2
lifeinhd
macrumors 65816

Hopefully Ive has done something radical.
Old Jan 1, 2013, 03:51 PM   #3
dirkph
macrumors member

iOS 7, please do something drastic, fun and interesting.
Old Jan 1, 2013, 03:53 PM   #4
macrumors regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by dirkph View Post
Like a new app switcher/multitasking function and app store for Apple TV?
8281 is offline   3 Reply With Quote
Old Jan 1, 2013, 11:37 PM   #5
charlituna
macrumors 604

Quote:
Originally Posted by 8281 View Post
Like a new app switcher/multitasking function and app store for Apple TV?
Personally I could do without either. Especially if it's an app switcher like the hacks that have been going around. outside of the option to do a down swipe to close apps (and it should be an option), those hacks were ugly to me.

And I see no point in an app store for the Apple TV. There's few apps that would be appropriate to a TV and those should be added by Apple to the software as the deals are in place to allow us direct subscriptions (ie, sans needing a cable subscription). Everything else can be handled via AirPlay off our devices in my opinion.

----------

Quote:
Originally Posted by aheying7 View Post
So does this mean we will get a developer preview of iOS 7 in March?
Unlikely.

This new isn't anything shocking. They will be testing iOS 7 for an easy six months before they let developers have it. And testing the hardware about the same before they lock things in.

Likely the same every year. Just now folks have found that they can get attention by reporting that they noticed this testing in their logs. It's the new "unnamed sources close the matter"

----------

Quote:
Originally Posted by bungiefan89 View Post
I'm tired of all the iOS and itoys news.

Not because I prefer Mac news... but because the iOS news is the same thing EVERY YEAR! :/
No one made you read it. So if you are sick of it, why did you.

----------

Quote:
Originally Posted by rlmccormick View Post
What I have wanted since the first iPad is a way for my wife and I to have separate logins so our stuff isn't intermingled.
Not likely to ever happen. If it was it would happened after this hue and cry started with the original iPad.

Like it or not but it seems rather clear that Apple is viewing iOS devices as single user. And it will likely stay that way as Apple pushes more and more into turning a device for every use into a device for every user (covering multiple uses)
charlituna is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Jan 1, 2013, 04:45 PM   #6
shurcooL
macrumors 6502a

Quote:
Like what Windows 8 did to Windows 7, yes?
shurcooL is offline   8 Reply With Quote
Old Jan 2, 2013, 08:06 AM   #7
lkrupp
macrumors 6502

Quote:
Why? So it can be denigrated, whined and bitched about by the denizens of MacRumors?
lkrupp is offline   1 Reply With Quote
Old Jan 2, 2013, 10:41 AM   #8
mdelvecchio
macrumors 68000

Quote:
or, just continue to keep my trusty devices working reliably.

if you want interesting go read a book.
mdelvecchio is offline   1 Reply With Quote
Old Jan 1, 2013, 03:52 PM   #9
keysofanxiety
macrumors 65816

Location: In a house that defies physics by being colder than absolute zero.
I guess I'm in the minority of people who thinks Apple shouldn't be slaves to a 12 month release cycle. The iPhone 5 is amazing in terms of its hardware and it would be great if they just kept releasing new phones as and when they develop the technology for it, to keep everybody else on their toes.

The problem with releasing a new iPhone at this time, of course, will be 'what to call it' … the naming could get a little silly and confuse consumers.

Needless to say, I'll wait until 2014 to get my iPhone 8S
keysofanxiety is offline   12 Reply With Quote
Old Jan 1, 2013, 05:00 PM   #10
Constable Odo
macrumors regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by keysofanxiety View Post
I guess I'm in the minority of people who thinks Apple shouldn't be slaves to a 12 month release cycle. The iPhone 5 is amazing in terms of its hardware and it would be great if they just kept releasing new phones as and when they develop the technology for it, to keep everybody else on their toes.

The problem with releasing a new iPhone at this time, of course, will be 'what to call it' … the naming could get a little silly and confuse consumers.

All the pundits feel that Apple has to put out a new smartphone each time a new Android smartphone comes out. They feel that Apple should definitely be a slave to Samsung to match the Galaxy S feature for feature. The pundits claim that if Apple fails to put in any feature the Galaxy S line already has, then the iPhone is falling miserably behind the Android crowd. Since there must be about five or six large Android smartphone vendors, then Apple would have to put out a new iPhone every couple of months in order to "keep up".

I honestly don't get why Apple should have to follow whatever the Android vendors do. As long as the iPhone is in high demand, what's the point. That would be like Porsche needing to design a new Carrera each time Toyota comes out with a new vehicle.

A carrier contract usually lasts for two years, so why would most consumers want to change smartphones every few months just to keep up with the latest features. What makes tech pundits so stupid when it comes to understanding consumers. A year or fifteen months should be just fine as a production cycle for the iPhone. Since Apple sells the iPhone in such high production quantities, I think Apple can get the most bang for the buck over a longer period of production time. I just don't understand the need for average consumers to be constantly swapping smartphones to stay on the cutting edge. Apple has no need to be a slave to the rest of the smartphone industry or Wall Street as far as production schedules are concerned.
Constable Odo is offline   8 Reply With Quote
Old Jan 1, 2013, 05:03 PM   #11
JS82712
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by Constable Odo View Post
All the pundits feel that Apple has to put out a new smartphone each time a new Android smartphone comes out. They feel that Apple should definitely be a slave to Samsung to match the Galaxy S feature for feature. The pundits claim that if Apple fails to put in any feature the Galaxy S line already has, then the iPhone is falling miserably behind the Android crowd. Since there must be about five or six large Android smartphone vendors, then Apple would have to put out a new iPhone every couple of months in order to "keep up".

I honestly don't get why Apple should have to follow whatever the Android vendors do. As long as the iPhone is in high demand, what's the point. That would be like Porsche needing to design a new Carrera each time Toyota comes out with a new vehicle.

A carrier contract usually lasts for two years, so why would most consumers want to change smartphones every few months just to keep up with the latest features. What makes tech pundits so stupid when it comes to understanding consumers. A year or fifteen months should be just fine as a production cycle for the iPhone. Since Apple sells the iPhone in such high production quantities, I think Apple can get the most bang for the buck over a longer period of production time. I just don't understand the need for average consumers to be constantly swapping smartphones to stay on the cutting edge. Apple has no need to be a slave to the rest of the smartphone industry or Wall Street as far as production schedules are concerned.
it's simple really...people's phone contracts last 2 years, but tech pundits cant wait that long to offer their 'professional comments' because they need money.
JS82712 is offline   1 Reply With Quote
Old Jan 1, 2013, 05:05 PM   #12
NewAnger
Banned

My AT&T line has been contract free since May. I've been waiting to see what the new iPhone may offer. The latest iPhone wash't worth using the upgrade. I'm hoping the new one will be 128GB storage. That's all I really want.
NewAnger is offline   2 Reply With Quote
Old Jan 2, 2013, 05:23 AM   #13
JarScott
macrumors 65816

Quote:
Originally Posted by keysofanxiety View Post

They'll call it the 5S, just like the 4S. How is that confusing? If anything, it's chosen to NOT confuse the consumer. I'm not getting into more arguments that this forum has every year concerning iPhone names. It'll be called the iPhone 5S and people will live with that.
JarScott is offline   1 Reply With Quote
Old Jan 1, 2013, 03:57 PM   #14
bedifferent
macrumors Demi-God

Quote:
Originally Posted by lifeinhd View Post
God I hope
bedifferent is offline   7 Reply With Quote
Old Jan 1, 2013, 04:14 PM   #15
the8thark
macrumors 68040

Quote:
I believe you meant Craig Federighi VP of software engineering.
Old Jan 1, 2013, 05:09 PM   #16
JayLenochiniMac
macrumors 601

Quote:
Quote:
Originally Posted by jonnysods View Post
Show us what you've got Ive
Let's be realistic here. It'll most likely have the same design/form factor as a S-type update.
JayLenochiniMac is offline   1 Reply With Quote
Old Jan 1, 2013, 05:10 PM   #17
JS82712
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by JayLenochiniMac View Post
Let's be realistic here. It'll most likely have the same design/form factor as a S-type update.
I think they were referring to iOS 7...
JS82712 is offline   2 Reply With Quote
Old Jan 1, 2013, 06:12 PM   #18
JayLenochiniMac
macrumors 601

Quote:
Originally Posted by JS82712 View Post
I think they were referring to iOS 7...
Wrong person then. It's Craig Federighi. Ive won't have much to do with iOS 7 other than his opposition to skeuomorphism, unless it's related to hardware in some way.
JayLenochiniMac is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Jan 2, 2013, 06:10 AM   #19
Lancer
macrumors 68000

Quote:
Built in phaser, to blow up any Samsung phone/table it sees
Lancer is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Jan 2, 2013, 09:02 AM   #20
tuamtuem
macrumors member

Quote:
I don't think so. iOS7 might be the iOS6 with fixed bugs + some additional features. I believe that the iOS8 with new design will come with iPhone6.
tuamtuem is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Jan 1, 2013, 03:50 PM   #21
hirshnoc
macrumors regular

Send a message via AIM to hirshnoc Send a message via Skype™ to hirshnoc
Add a temperature sensor and an altimeter...tactile feedback...
hirshnoc is offline   8 Reply With Quote
Old Jan 1, 2013, 03:51 PM   #22
Liquinn
macrumors 68020

iPad mini 2 - March
iPhone 5S - June
iPad 5 - October?
Old Jan 1, 2013, 03:53 PM   #23
alohamade
Contributing Editor

This may seem like an idea that's too out there, but what if Apple, starting this year, began doing minor "S" (5S) updates in the middle of June, while doing major upgrades (6) in October/the Fall?
Old Jan 1, 2013, 03:56 PM   #24
bedifferent
macrumors Demi-God

I got it! Instead of fixing OS X and iOS bugs, lets speed up the release cycles. Who cares if 10.7 and 10.8 are right awful when we can brush them under the rug with a "new" and "magical" update! Let's lower the price too, instead of $19.99 we'll make it $19.98! Now it's even more affordable!

Um, no. I just... can't...
bedifferent is offline   28 Reply With Quote
Old Jan 1, 2013, 04:42 PM   #25
GizmoDVD
macrumors 6502a

Quote:
Originally Posted by bedifferent View Post
I got it! Instead of fixing OS X and iOS bugs, lets speed up the release cycles. Who cares if 10.7 and 10.8 are right awful when we can brush them under the rug with a "new" and "magical" update! Let's lower the price too, instead of $19.99 we'll make it $19.98! Now it's even more affordable!

Um, no. I just... can't...
Mountain Lion is fine. Keep running Snow Leopard to the end of time.
GizmoDVD is offline   8 Reply With Quote

MacRumors Forums > News and Article Discussion > MacRumors.com News Discussion