Go Back   MacRumors Forums > News and Article Discussion > MacRumors.com News Discussion

Old Jan 2, 2013, 10:00 AM   #1
MacRumors
macrumors bot

Apple Interested in Purchasing Social Turn-by-Turn Navigation Company Waze? [Updated]

Citing "rumours flying around", TechCrunch reports that Apple appears to be investigating the possibility of acquiring Waze, the popular social turn-by-turn navigation company. Waze, which takes advantage of real-time info from users to help others keep up-to-date on the latest road and traffic conditions, is already a partner in Apple's new Maps app, and an acquisition could help Apple beef up its struggling mapping services.

The report suggests that an acquisition of Waze could be even more beneficial for Apple than a deal with Foursquare, which holds only a limited audience internationally.
Quote:
Because Waze maps are built on the location of moving cars, it's far more accurate than check-in apps. Outside of Google's project to map cities with Streetview cars - something which has taken years to complete - and the real-world mapping undertaken by volunteers on the Open Streetmaps open source project, there has been little to match Waze's approach. Waze turned mapping into not only a game, but also a way for drivers to be social, reporting road obstacles, traffic and police traps. It is properly useful.

It would also cost Apple northwards of $500M+ to buy Foursquare (which has raised $71 million is known to be raising another round), and gain, what? The location of restaurants, bars and airports? Given Waze has raised $67 million, Apple could acquire far better mapping data and a real driving app.
Waze was one of the iOS apps featured by Apple as an alternative to its own Maps app for users looking for another solution while Apple continues enhancing its offering. The service has over 30 million users across iOS and Android, and has proven popular as a free alternative to other turn-by-turn navigation services.

Update: TechCrunch has updated its article to note that Apple is offering roughly $400 million plus $100 million in incentives for Waze, but Waze is said to be holding out for something closer to $750 million.

Article Link: Apple Interested in Purchasing Social Turn-by-Turn Navigation Company Waze? [Updated]
MacRumors is offline   2 Reply With Quote
Old Jan 2, 2013, 10:01 AM   #2
GeekLawyer
macrumors Demi-God

This would be a good way to improve the data available to Apple Maps. So long as people would continue to contribute place-data. And being able to "bake" Waze into Maps would presumably make that happen by default.
GeekLawyer is offline   4 Reply With Quote
Old Jan 2, 2013, 11:56 AM   #3
KdParker
macrumors 68030

Quote:
Originally Posted by GeekLawyer View Post
This would be a good way to improve the data available to Apple Maps. So long as people would continue to contribute place-data. And being able to "bake" Waze into Maps would presumably make that happen by default.
Agreed. Love to see near time updates for traffic, eventhough it isn't really too bad now.
KdParker is offline   1 Reply With Quote
Old Jan 2, 2013, 01:05 PM   #4
Risco
macrumors 65816

Quote:
Originally Posted by GeekLawyer View Post
Exactly, user contribution is essential of they are to make this acquisition a success. In fact it could end making Apple Maps the most accurate mapping solution out there.
Risco is offline   1 Reply With Quote
Old Jan 2, 2013, 10:02 AM   #5
lifeinhd
macrumors 65816

I've got a friend who swears by Waze, but I'll stick to MotionX. Never lets me down.
Old Jan 2, 2013, 10:03 AM   #6
moabal
macrumors member

I hope not. I do not want Apple to ruin another good thing!
moabal is offline   8 Reply With Quote
Old Jan 2, 2013, 10:04 AM   #7
gpat
macrumors 6502a

Another free and open service to be destroyed and reshaped according to Apple's mentality? I hope not.
Old Jan 2, 2013, 10:06 AM   #8
JS82712
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by gpat View Post
Another free and open service to be destroyed and reshaped according to Apple's mentality? I hope not.
much like what google did to sparrow, snapseed...etc right?
JS82712 is offline   17 Reply With Quote
Old Jan 2, 2013, 10:21 AM   #9
ejl10
macrumors member

Quote:
Originally Posted by JS82712 View Post
Great point - I've been hopeful that Google would take a look at Waze for a while to bring social reporting into Google Maps (which would make them nearly perfect), but with Google's acquisition track record that might just mean another good idea put out to pasture. Still, if Apple locked Waze out of non-iOS devices it would become a whole lot less useful.
ejl10 is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Jan 2, 2013, 11:00 AM   #10
gpat
macrumors 6502a

Quote:
I have no idea.
If Google changed any of these services in a negative manner, you have all my sympathy.
Old Jan 2, 2013, 04:07 PM   #11
hamkor04
macrumors 6502

Quote:
But we still using Free Google Maps (which is awesome) and there are other few free google services (which is really useful) right?
Old Jan 2, 2013, 10:59 AM   #12
Stridder44
macrumors 68040

Quote:

Be more dramatic
Stridder44 is offline   2 Reply With Quote
Old Jan 2, 2013, 10:04 AM   #13
JaySoul
macrumors 65816

Do it. Do it now.
JaySoul is offline   4 Reply With Quote
Old Jan 2, 2013, 10:11 AM   #14
notabadname
macrumors 65816

Yes. I want to see Apple's Map App develop in parallel to Google's. I still prefer Apple's, due to integration with Siri and other iOS features, like my Address Book. I like Apple's turn-by-turn better personally. But Google gets the love for their transit/metro info. If Apple had that, my choice would be simple.
Old Jan 2, 2013, 01:02 PM   #15
kgelner
macrumors newbie

You can do better than Goole for transit

Quote:
Originally Posted by notabadname View Post
Yes. I want to see Apple's Map App develop in parallel to Google's. I still prefer Apple's, due to integration with Siri and other iOS features, like my Address Book. I like Apple's turn-by-turn better personally. But Google gets the love for their transit/metro info. If Apple had that, my choice would be simple.
There are already multiple transit apps that work better than Google's transit - download "Transit" from TapOne for a great free app. It displays more data than Google does about your trip.

Ditching transit instructions out of the main map was the best thing Apple ever did. Now instead of relying on Google's mediocre transit data, you can find a really good app for anywhere you go and get better metro directions.
kgelner is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Jan 2, 2013, 10:29 AM   #16
mdelvecchio
macrumors 68020

Quote:
Originally Posted by moabal View Post
er, what good data source have they ruined? they switched their own maps app away from google-as-backend, they didnt ruin the google data source. therefore theres no reason to think the Waze backend would somehow deteriorate were apple to start subscribing to it in their maps app.

----------

Quote:
another? what was the other? i can think of the WebKit open project, and apple's changes to that were unarguably for the better -- so much so that major mobile vendors continue to use apple's WebKit.
mdelvecchio is offline   2 Reply With Quote
Old Jan 2, 2013, 10:32 AM   #17
Xenomorph
macrumors 6502a

Waze + Apple Maps would be an amazing combination!
Xenomorph is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Jan 2, 2013, 10:33 AM   #18
carlgo
macrumors 68000

Did Apple provide this secret information to get Foursquare to lower their price?

All this map stuff is good, everyone is fighting over it which means eventually better programs and devices for us.
carlgo is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Jan 2, 2013, 11:00 AM   #19
dukebound85
macrumors P6

Quote:
I agree. Not a fan if this happens
dukebound85 is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Jan 2, 2013, 01:02 PM   #20
foodog
macrumors 6502a

Quote:
I have driven through 20 or so states (southeast, midwest and northeast) over 20,000 miles with only IOS 6 and an iPhone 5 to guide me. I don't argue there are some weird things that have been reported about Apple maps but I have yet to encounter a navigation problem.
Old Jan 2, 2013, 08:58 PM   #21
Michael Scrip
macrumors 68020

Quote:
Originally Posted by lifeinhd View Post

I've got a friend who swears by Waze, but I'll stick to MotionX. Never lets me down.
I bought MotionX to be my turn-by-turn navigation last year since the built-in Apple Maps didn't have TBT at the time. MotionX is great.

But I used Waze only when there was a traffic jam... to see how far ahead the traffic was.

I guess I could have used Waze for everything... I just never tried it.

Now with the new Apple Maps, and the new Google Maps... I've got many choices for TBT directions.

I might not renew MotionX this year.

----------

Quote:
Originally Posted by aristobrat View Post

I love Waze too. I like how it reroutes against traffic, and how you can view/report police and hazards.

I would love for Waze to integrate deeper into iOS, like Apple's Maps does. Especially the part where it shows the directions on the lock screen!
If Apple buys it... they might take out the "report cops" feature.

I know they allow it now... but something tells me they might take that feature out if they owned it.

----------

Quote:
Originally Posted by notabadname View Post

Exactly.

I use Apple Maps for turn-by-turn because it looks good and works so well if you know the address.

And I use Google Maps if I'm searching for something on the road.

Plus... I can start a Google Maps search on the computer... and then pick it up on my iPhone.

I think it's better to have a couple tools at your disposal.

----------

Quote:
Originally Posted by The Phazer View Post

Wouldn't do much to fix Apple's mapping problems. Doesn't solve POI, doesn't solve transit, doesn't help non-drivers, doesn't solve search.

A sign of desperation if they go down this road.

Waze users would suffer as Apple locked it down and ruined it, drying up the data, and I don't trust Apple to integrate it well with their own (currently junk) data.
But Waze is just one company Apple could buy to improve some of their problems.

Do you know how many companies Google bought over the years to improve their products?
Michael Scrip is online now   0 Reply With Quote
Old Jan 3, 2013, 07:01 AM   #22
The Phazer
macrumors 68030

Quote:
Originally Posted by Michael Scrip View Post
But Waze is just one company Apple could buy to improve some of their problems.

Do you know how many companies Google bought over the years to improve their products?
I don't think this would result in a net improvement - Waze relies on things that are completely outside of Apple's competency and ideology.

Meanwhile it shows that Apple still think there's some short term fix for Maps, other than just giving up and spending their resource on something they might actually be able to do.
The Phazer is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Jan 2, 2013, 10:05 AM   #23
D-Back
macrumors member

Yes, do it now! Waze is absolutely amazing.
D-Back is offline   10 Reply With Quote
Old Jan 2, 2013, 10:07 AM   #24
Allenbf
macrumors 6502

Makes more sense than purchasing Foursquare.
Old Jan 2, 2013, 10:10 AM   #25
uStip
macrumors newbie

NOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOO.... because that probably means they will kill this awesome app/service. You, bastards! :/
uStip is offline   0 Reply With Quote

MacRumors Forums > News and Article Discussion > MacRumors.com News Discussion