Go Back   MacRumors Forums > Apple Hardware > Buying Tips and Advice

Old Jan 2, 2013, 03:39 PM   #1
Pngwyn
macrumors regular

iMac Speakers: Paradigm vs B&W

Hi everyone! So I finally decided to invest in an actually nice speaker system instead of just using the internal speakers of the iMac.

Right now I'm considering..
-Bowers and Wilkins MM-1 $500 - Really like the design and compactness of the setup and the fact it doesn't require a sub.

-Paradigm Millenia CT $700 - Highly rated everywhere and can also be used as a TV system. However I am skeptical for using this with my iMac since I feel this is a more dedicated system for Televisions, not really sure though.

Any input would be greatly appreciated thanks!
Pngwyn is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Jan 2, 2013, 03:43 PM   #2
basesloaded190
macrumors 68030

Send a message via AIM to basesloaded190
Why not the paradigm shift speakers?

http://www.paradigm.com/shift/powered/A2/index.php
Old Jan 2, 2013, 03:59 PM   #3
Pngwyn
macrumors regular

Yeah I guess I could go for less expensive speakers too, Audioengine A2s or A5s or the Paradigm Shift speakers as well. I just was leaning towards the B&W MM-1 because they have a long standing reputation for making great audio products, the design is really sleek, and everyone who owns one seems to be pretty happy with it (for $500 they better be!).
Pngwyn is offline   1 Reply With Quote
Old Jan 2, 2013, 04:02 PM   #4
basesloaded190
macrumors 68030

Send a message via AIM to basesloaded190
Quote:
Originally Posted by Pngwyn View Post
Yeah I guess I could go for less expensive speakers too, Audioengine A2s or A5s or the Paradigm Shift speakers as well. I just was leaning towards the B&W MM-1 because they have a long standing reputation for making great audio products, the design is really sleek, and everyone who owns one seems to be pretty happy with it (for $500 they better be!).
Same could be said with Paradigm. Their "normal" speakers have always been highly regarded.

That being said, you really can't go wrong with either.
Old Jan 2, 2013, 04:20 PM   #5
Pngwyn
macrumors regular

The Paradigm Shift speakers do look really nice, but if I jump for the Millenia CT I could also use it for my TV and add to my sound bar (potentially).. not sure if I'd actually go through the trouble of doing that though. I guess I have a bit more research to do
Pngwyn is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Jan 2, 2013, 06:03 PM   #6
Scepticalscribe
Contributor

I don't have the B&W speakers (though I will consider buying them in the future as I love the design and the sound is superb).

However, I do have two pairs of their headphones, the P5s, and the P3s and I can say that they are easily the best, most stylish, comfortable, portable, beautifully made headphones with superb sound quality that I have ever owned.
Scepticalscribe is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Jan 2, 2013, 09:03 PM   #7
Pharmscott
macrumors 6502a

Quote:
Originally Posted by basesloaded190 View Post
Why not the paradigm shift speakers?

http://www.paradigm.com/shift/powered/A2/index.php
I've never seen these before and they look pretty sweet. Anybody have any experience with these?
Pharmscott is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Jan 2, 2013, 04:00 PM   #8
7enderbender
macrumors 6502

Can't really go wrong either way so it comes down to taste. I personally would also look at near field pro audio monitors when the speakers are intended to be used in front of the computer and at relatively close range.
A pair of active KRKs or Mackies can be had for less than the B&W or Paradigms and are as good - if not better depending on what your preferences are.

MacRumors Forums > Apple Hardware > Buying Tips and Advice