Go Back   MacRumors Forums > Special Interests > Visual Media > Web Design and Development

Old Jan 3, 2013, 12:45 AM   #1
0penCr8
macrumors newbie

Shopping Cart

Hey
I'm new to web design and I am looking to create a payment gateway for my website. I know there are several shopping cart solutions out there (GoDaddy, ZenCart, PayPal...) but I want to build one myself. I mean, I'm pretty sure Amazon isn't using GoDaddy Quick Shopping cart to process their payments. I'm not looking fir anything close to that kind of complexity, but I was hoping someone with more knowledge than me could point me in the right direction.
Thanks!
0penCr8 is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Jan 3, 2013, 12:53 AM   #2
ideal.dreams
macrumors 68000

While I can't help with the actual set up of one (I use third party add ons to accomplish this), I will suggest you use Authorize.net, or something similar, to securely accept payments. I've heard a story of a site that used a "back door" method of simply sending the customer's payment information as plain text into a text document to be read later. A thief found the document and stole all the credit card numbers.
ideal.dreams is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Jan 3, 2013, 04:54 PM   #3
0penCr8
macrumors newbie

Add Ons

Quote:
Originally Posted by ideal.dreams View Post
While I can't help with the actual set up of one (I use third party add ons to accomplish this)
Would you mind telling me what add-ons you use?
0penCr8 is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Jan 3, 2013, 07:26 PM   #4
ideal.dreams
macrumors 68000

Quote:
Originally Posted by 0penCr8 View Post
Would you mind telling me what add-ons you use?
Well, it's not an add-on you can install to a site you built yourself. It's from the Concrete5 Marketplace so you'd need a site built with Concrete5. It's a free open-source CMS package and the plugin I used for a shopping cart is called "E-commerce." It is very customizable and has an Authorize.net gateway built in. It's also not a free add-on and at the time I purchased it, it was on sale for a reasonable amount off which is why I went with it. I'm not sure if it's on sale anymore.

Though I'm not sure if the above is something you're interested in since that would require using Concrete5.
ideal.dreams is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Jan 4, 2013, 07:16 AM   #5
960design
macrumors 6502a

Quote:
I'm new to web design and I am looking to create a payment gateway for my website.
I've built several custom online purchase systems, building a new one right now. What exactly are you needing help with?
Old Jan 4, 2013, 07:45 AM   #6
-pete-
macrumors member

Yes, amazon have their own payment gateway system but this is mostly due to their scale.

I would advise that you use an existing system such as Authorize.net, BeanStream or Stripe in the US or CardSave if you are in the UK. Writing your own is a MAJOR hassle since you will probably need to start discussions with banks and all sorts of other things that would be a ton of an effort for someone just starting with web design.
-pete- is offline   0 Reply With Quote

MacRumors Forums > Special Interests > Visual Media > Web Design and Development

Tags
design, ecommerce, shopping, web