Register FAQ / Rules Forum Spy Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read
Go Back   MacRumors Forums > Special Interests > Visual Media > Digital Photography

Old Jan 3, 2013, 01:02 AM   #1
xxmarkc
macrumors member

What is going on: why do so many reviews of Aperture say "it does not work"?

Aperture is on my list of possible buys. Only delayed since I have not yet migrated from PC+Picasa.

Every time I go to the app store and read reviews they are either "it is great" or "it does not work at all".

There must be a simple explanation for this:

1) The software is crap and roll a dice to find out if it will work on your PC (I find this hard to believe).

2) Pilot error. There problem is the user - they don't know what they are doing.

3) Old hardware / software. I have a 2011 iMac (around 10 months old) and always run the latest os)

4) Something else?

What do people reckon?
xxmarkc is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Jan 3, 2013, 01:11 AM   #2
SnowLeopard2008
macrumors 603

Send a message via AIM to SnowLeopard2008
Aperture works for me. I have never had any problems with it. I read some of the negative reviews and they are all novice users who expect it to work like entry level photography software. That's like buying Tesla Model S and complaining that the engine doesn't make noise and it's limited range. It's a different beast.
Old Jan 3, 2013, 02:06 AM   #3
tersono
macrumors 68000

It's a great tool for the serious photographer. Never had a problem with it - although like iPhoto it can get slow with very large libraries.

Some folks like Aperture, some like Lightroom. Just a case of taking your pick, really.

If all you're currently using is Picasa, however, you may well find that iPhoto is all you need (certainly if cataloging your photo library is your main purpose, iPhoto works just great).
Old Jan 3, 2013, 03:18 AM   #4
Doylem
macrumors 68040

I like Aperture... but only in the sense that I use it every day and it meets most of my needs. There was a learning curve when I first started using it, but now it's very familiar. I value Aperture as an organizational tool, though the search function is a bit slow (Google searches the www and provides results in less than a second; Aperture churns through my collection, looking for pix I've keyworded, say, with 'snow'... and gives me results... eventually).

I do basis adjustments in Aperture. For anything more drastic, or for pix I'm uploading to my online image library, the pix get a round-trip into Photoshop Elements.
Doylem is offline   1 Reply With Quote
Old Jan 3, 2013, 05:45 AM   #5
SOLLERBOY
macrumors 6502a

I'm a long time A3 user and am contemplating a switch to LR4. Aperture is a good app but the adjustments etc aren't up to modern standards anymore.
SOLLERBOY is offline   1 Reply With Quote
Old Jan 3, 2013, 06:22 AM   #6
James Craner
macrumors 68000

I have used Aperture since version 1, and I love it. It has never caused me a problem and does exactly what it needs to do. Although it has been at Version 3 for a while Apple have added additional functionality, at no additional cost. Most of my photo edits I can do within Aperture, without having to export into Photoshop.
Old Jan 3, 2013, 06:46 AM   #7
Cheese&Apple
macrumors 6502a

I think people have an unrealistic expectation of absolute and unequivocal perfection from Apple and Apple products. Is Aperture the perfect photo software solution? It's not. However, Aperture is, without doubt, an excellent tool for a photographer to sort, edit and manage a large library of photos. Aperture has worked flawlessly for me on my base 2011 iMac.

Aperture does not have an unlimited array of special effects and filters to apply to your photos. On the rare occasion that I want to do something really funky with a shot, I'll use the Pixelmator application that I picked-up on sale at the MAS for $15.00.

I have to say though that I don't use the Adobe products so I can't comment on Aperture vs. Lightroom.
Cheese&Apple is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Jan 3, 2013, 03:15 PM   #8
chrono1081
macrumors 604

Quote:
Originally Posted by SnowLeopard2008 View Post
Aperture works for me. I have never had any problems with it. I read some of the negative reviews and they are all novice users who expect it to work like entry level photography software. That's like buying Tesla Model S and complaining that the engine doesn't make noise and it's limited range. It's a different beast.
This.

As others have said its personal preference between Lightroom and Aperture. I've used Lightroom since beta but prefer Aperture to LR (the only thing I like that LR does that aperture doesn't is the dark menu interface).

I didn't like Aperture at first until I learned the keyboard shortcuts, now I love it.
Old Jan 3, 2013, 08:35 PM   #9
nickditoro
macrumors newbie

Aperture 3.4 Works Fine

I've been using Aperture since version 2, in what Aperture calls a referenced mode (that is, my photos are stored in my own folder structure but are referenced in my Aperture library). Since owning a Fujifilm X-Pro 1, I have been using LR4 in a 30-day trial on one Mac to edit the X-Pro1's RAW files, since Apple has yet to offer a RAW converter (hopefully this will happen with Aperture 4). I plan to download the LR4 demo on my other Mac when the 30 days run out on the first machine unless Apple introduces a RAW converter in the meantime.

I do 90% of my editing of the RAW files from my Canons (5DMIII, 50D, and S95) in Aperture, exporting to Nik's Silver Efex Pro only for black and white conversion and editing, or to Photoshop when I need its layering capability or to use its usually superior clone and context-aware healing tools.
nickditoro is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Jan 18, 2013, 02:38 PM   #10
Prodo123
macrumors 68020

Quote:
Originally Posted by xxmarkc View Post
Aperture is on my list of possible buys. Only delayed since I have not yet migrated from PC+Picasa.

Every time I go to the app store and read reviews they are either "it is great" or "it does not work at all".

1) The software is crap and roll a dice to find out if it will work on your PC (I find this hard to believe).

2) Pilot error. There problem is the user - they don't know what they are doing.

3) Old hardware / software. I have a 2011 iMac (around 10 months old) and always run the latest os)

4) Something else?

What do people reckon?
Usually it's pilot error. iPhoto users expecting the same basic interface, for example.
Lightroom would be easier to migrate to especially from Picasa!
Old Jan 22, 2013, 04:18 PM   #11
cprevost
macrumors newbie

The newest version of Aperture uses the iPhoto library. It organizes and stores all the photos for you just like iPhoto. That means you simply import your photos and the software takes care of the rest. There is no need to do any organizing of any kind before importing as it's all done from within the app. That's the big difference between this and Lightroom and the reason I like Aperture better. I have Photoshop if I need to do something more complex than Aperture can handle but it handles 99% of all photo edits I need. I much prefer the interface to Lightroom. Aperture is a ram hog though and you'd better have at least 8gb of ram if you have a large library.
cprevost is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Jan 22, 2013, 10:41 PM   #12
Prodo123
macrumors 68020

Quote:
Originally Posted by cprevost View Post
The newest version of Aperture uses the iPhoto library. It organizes and stores all the photos for you just like iPhoto. That means you simply import your photos and the software takes care of the rest. There is no need to do any organizing of any kind before importing as it's all done from within the app. That's the big difference between this and Lightroom and the reason I like Aperture better. I have Photoshop if I need to do something more complex than Aperture can handle but it handles 99% of all photo edits I need. I much prefer the interface to Lightroom. Aperture is a ram hog though and you'd better have at least 8gb of ram if you have a large library.
Well to be honest I have 8GB of RAM and find Lightroom slower and laggier than Aperture.
One HUGE thing missing from Lightroom is "Delete upon import." Apparently it's against Adobe's philosophies and that this encourages users to back up their cards more often, but to me the Lightroom import IS the backup and the lack of this feature just gets in the way big time.
I also don't like how everything is consolidated into one library, especially when the library grows to humongous sizes. A 100GB library WILL fragment more than a referenced library, slowing Aperture down a lot.
I tried to stick with Aperture, I really did. It truly works great and the Aperture workflow absolutely kills Lightroom's, in my opinion. But the fact that Lightroom has better features, better images and thus better end products still stands, and that's why I use Lightroom now.
Old Jan 22, 2013, 11:35 PM   #13
snberk103
macrumors 603

Quote:
Originally Posted by Prodo123 View Post
One HUGE thing missing from Lightroom is "Delete upon import." Apparently it's against Adobe's philosophies and that this encourages users to back up their cards more often, but to me the Lightroom import IS the backup and the lack of this feature just gets in the way big time.
I'm of the other opinion. A "Delete on Import" is not a backup, it means there is still just one copy, with no backup copy. I don't delete my cards for several days after importing, so that I can make sure my nightly full backups have completed. Those, plus Time Machine, plus the unformatted cards means I will have 3 backups (until I format the cards).

The other reason for not formatting the cards is that most camera manufacturers recommend formatting the cards in camera and not "deleting" the files in the computer. Several makes of cameras don't recognize the deleted files as being deleted, so an empty card can appear full. There was thread on this last week, and several in the past few months. Adobe is, in essence, making you do it properly... whether you want to or not...
Quote:
Originally Posted by Prodo123 View Post
I also don't like how everything is consolidated into one library, especially when the library grows to humongous sizes. A 100GB library WILL fragment more than a referenced library, slowing Aperture down a lot.
I can't speak for Aperture, but I like one humongous library. Much easier to backup, and much easier to restore in case of HDD failure. It all just copies back with one command.

YMMV

I like Lightroom too... I'm still learning how to use it fully, after several years.
Old Jan 23, 2013, 12:25 AM   #14
Prodo123
macrumors 68020

Quote:
Originally Posted by snberk103 View Post
I'm of the other opinion. A "Delete on Import" is not a backup, it means there is still just one copy, with no backup copy. I don't delete my cards for several days after importing, so that I can make sure my nightly full backups have completed. Those, plus Time Machine, plus the unformatted cards means I will have 3 backups (until I format the cards).

The other reason for not formatting the cards is that most camera manufacturers recommend formatting the cards in camera and not "deleting" the files in the computer. Several makes of cameras don't recognize the deleted files as being deleted, so an empty card can appear full. There was thread on this last week, and several in the past few months. Adobe is, in essence, making you do it properly... whether you want to or not...
I copy to my computer, which does a Time Machine backup automatically upon import and hourly so I have two copies of all photos at minimum. This is why I consider it to be my backup. To me Adobe's way is just a hindrance in the workflow. Also confusing when you have to import a card full of photos from multiple shoots.
If my way isn't the "proper way" it surely is the most efficient for me, and Adobe's bogging it down big time.
As for formatting drives, it'd be a hassle to set up Magic Lantern every time I unload a card. (and yes it's a lifesaver in so many situations)

Quote:
Originally Posted by snberk103 View Post
I can't speak for Aperture, but I like one humongous library. Much easier to backup, and much easier to restore in case of HDD failure. It all just copies back with one command.
I think I didn't quite explain correctly. Aperture's managed libraries are single files; if any portion of that single file is corrupted then the entire library might be gone. Also, since the program is accessing one big file, which is prone to fragmentation, the overall speed of the application suffers.
Now referenced libraries fix everything.
Old Jan 23, 2013, 02:55 PM   #15
Dan--
macrumors regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by xxmarkc View Post

[...]
I can tell you that I wanted to love Aperture on my old 2006 MB with maxed out RAM, but it's performance sucked horribly for seeing before and after differences, for which PSE and Lightroom were absolutely fine. Now, with the base 2012 13" MBP, everything works great in Aperture.

I still use PSE on occasion, but very rarely for my type of photography.
Dan-- is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Nov 18, 2013, 03:51 PM   #16
VKB
macrumors newbie

identifying Duplicates

I find it amazing (~ly disappointing) that Aperture doesn't identify duplicates. Even the simplest built-in programs identify dups, it's like downloading Excel and finding it doesn't divide.

Having to download another program to cope with the shortcomings of the so-called ultimate program you just downloaded is ridiculous. Come on Aperture, just fix it!
VKB is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Nov 18, 2013, 07:32 PM   #17
Razeus
macrumors 68040

Quote:
Originally Posted by VKB View Post
I find it amazing (~ly disappointing) that Aperture doesn't identify duplicates. Even the simplest built-in programs identify dups, it's like downloading Excel and finding it doesn't divide.

Having to download another program to cope with the shortcomings of the so-called ultimate program you just downloaded is ridiculous. Come on Aperture, just fix it!
Just another example of how Aperture is severely outdated, despite it gets frequent updates.
Old Nov 19, 2013, 02:40 AM   #18
Zeiss
macrumors member

Aperture has 2 major flaws - it doesn't use dng profiles and it doesn't have database lens corrections. These 2 reasons were enough for me to switch to Lr4 and now 5...

Maybe A4 will bring this in, but I ain't going back. Pro photographers use Lr5 for these reasons.
Zeiss is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Nov 19, 2013, 04:55 AM   #19
swordio777
macrumors regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by Zeiss View Post
Pro photographers use Lr5 for these reasons.
Sorry, no offence, but this is a ridiculous thing to say. It may be true that YOU use Lr5 for these reasons, but any pro worth his salt will use the right tool for the job. For some this might be Lightroom, for others maybe Aperture, and for others still it might be something completely different.

Be under no illusion - Lightroom is aimed squarely at AMATEURS, not professionals (so is Aperture, I'm not taking sides here). You've got to remember that professionals make up a tiny percentage of the photography market. If Adobe or Apple really did make a programme designed specifically for professionals, nobody would buy it.

They're not making the software so the planet's standard of photography goes up - they're doing it to make money. And the real money is in the amateurs / enthusiats / general public, because they make up 99.9% of the photographic community.

Both tools are good, but both are also extremely limited.

All the best.
swordio777 is offline   1 Reply With Quote
Old Nov 19, 2013, 06:18 AM   #20
Mike in Kansas
macrumors 6502a

Quote:
Originally Posted by VKB View Post

Aperture identifies duplicates prior to importing, not after you've imported.
Left Nikon for Fuji X-E1, Fujinon 18-55mm OIS, 55-200mm OIS, 27mm f/2.8
Mike in Kansas is offline   2 Reply With Quote

MacRumors Forums > Special Interests > Visual Media > Digital Photography