Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Nerdy Keith

macrumors member
Original poster
Jun 5, 2012
Dublin, Ireland
I just purchased a Wii in the January sales in Game Stop but I would perfer to play it via my iMac as it has a nicer screen. Is that possible?

Also is it possible to do this with my PS3 too?

Paulywauly

macrumors 6502a
Sep 26, 2009
Durham, UK
I just purchased a Wii in the January sales in Game Stop but I would perfer to play it via my iMac as it has a nicer screen. Is that possible?

Also is it possible to do this with my PS3 too?

Only if it has some form of video input. The only models I'm aware of that did are the late 2009/mid 2010 27" iMacs & it was limited to HDMI. I'm not sure if the 2011 revision had HDMI. Older iMacs or 21" models have no video input at all.

You need a HDMI port for PS3, but a Wii would need a scart or composite video connection and you would need to look into sort of a converter

forty2j

macrumors 68030
Jul 11, 2008
NJ
Only if it has some form of video input. The only models I'm aware of that did are the late 2009/mid 2010 27" iMacs & it was limited to HDMI. I'm not sure if the 2011 revision had HDMI. Older iMacs or 21" models have no video input at all.

You need a HDMI port for PS3, but a Wii would need a scart or composite video connection and you would need to look into sort of a converter

Ah, yes, the 2010 & late 2009 27" models had DisplayPort input. The 21" did not. Early 2009 and earlier did not. HDMI->DisplayPort adapters are available. HDMI adapters are also available for the Wii.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.