Go Back   MacRumors Forums > Special Interests > Visual Media > Digital Photography

Reply
 
Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes
Old Jan 3, 2013, 02:11 PM   #1
Puckman1
macrumors member
 
Join Date: Sep 2012
My next lens...advice

I'm fairly new to the world of photography. Been doing it for the past 2 months or so.
I own the Canon T3i (and have been fairly pleased with it so far).
Current glass complement: Kit 18-55, 28mm/1.8 prime, 50mm/1.4 prime.

I love those 2 primes, but they're not exactly the most versatile in terms of "walk-around" lenses. I feel like i need something that covers a bit more of a telephoto range (>100mm). I figure something like the Canon EF 28-135 would give me both ends of the range for when I don't want to carry around the primes (28 being wide enough for general purposes, and really 100+ being versatile enough for portraits, wildlife (not in a professional way), hiking, street photography etc.

So:
1) Is that the way to go? Does this make sense?
2) Is that 28-135 a smart choice?
3) Are there other suggestions/alternatives i should consider?

Let's assume that the L price point is not for me (i'm not ok spending more than, say $750 for this walkaround lens).
Puckman1 is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Jan 3, 2013, 02:41 PM   #2
samcraig
macrumors G5
 
Join Date: Jun 2009
I have the 28-135 and it works well. I'm not a professional - and most of my usage is taking pictures of my daughter and/or trips. I shoot a ton with my nifty 50 and for all the rest - that lends.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Puckman1 View Post
I'm fairly new to the world of photography. Been doing it for the past 2 months or so.
I own the Canon T3i (and have been fairly pleased with it so far).
Current glass complement: Kit 18-55, 28mm/1.8 prime, 50mm/1.4 prime.

I love those 2 primes, but they're not exactly the most versatile in terms of "walk-around" lenses. I feel like i need something that covers a bit more of a telephoto range (>100mm). I figure something like the Canon EF 28-135 would give me both ends of the range for when I don't want to carry around the primes (28 being wide enough for general purposes, and really 100+ being versatile enough for portraits, wildlife (not in a professional way), hiking, street photography etc.

So:
1) Is that the way to go? Does this make sense?
2) Is that 28-135 a smart choice?
3) Are there other suggestions/alternatives i should consider?

Let's assume that the L price point is not for me (i'm not ok spending more than, say $750 for this walkaround lens).
samcraig is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Jan 3, 2013, 03:42 PM   #3
kevinfulton.ca
macrumors 6502
 
Join Date: Aug 2011
Quote:
Originally Posted by Puckman1 View Post
I'm fairly new to the world of photography. Been doing it for the past 2 months or so.
I own the Canon T3i (and have been fairly pleased with it so far).
Current glass complement: Kit 18-55, 28mm/1.8 prime, 50mm/1.4 prime.

I love those 2 primes, but they're not exactly the most versatile in terms of "walk-around" lenses. I feel like i need something that covers a bit more of a telephoto range (>100mm). I figure something like the Canon EF 28-135 would give me both ends of the range for when I don't want to carry around the primes (28 being wide enough for general purposes, and really 100+ being versatile enough for portraits, wildlife (not in a professional way), hiking, street photography etc.

So:
1) Is that the way to go? Does this make sense?
2) Is that 28-135 a smart choice?
3) Are there other suggestions/alternatives i should consider?

Let's assume that the L price point is not for me (i'm not ok spending more than, say $750 for this walkaround lens).
Personally, I've never been a fan of those low cost extended range type zooms (Wide to telephoto). You tend to be paying more for the built in stabilization and USM then you are for their optical quality. It sounds like you've got your mid to wide angles covered so if you need a telephoto I'd highly recommend saving a little extra and getting the 70-200mm f4 L. It's roughly $100 more and delivers stunning IQ for the price. It's also quite small and light. If you carried one of these with your 18-55 you'd have a nice wide range without much weight. I know changing lenses is a bit of a pain, but in this case I think it would be a good trade off. Over time, maybe replace your 18-55 with the 17-55 f2.8 IS or 24-70 f4 IS L and you'll have a killer walk around kit!
__________________
13" White Macbook, 4 GB RAM, 500GB HD, 22" external monitor, 320 GB Firewire scratch disc, 2 TB partitioned expansion/backup HD; iPad 2, 64 GB, 3G; iPhone 4S, 16 GB.
kevinfulton.ca is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Jan 3, 2013, 04:13 PM   #4
Puckman1
Thread Starter
macrumors member
 
Join Date: Sep 2012
Quote:
Originally Posted by kevinfulton.ca View Post
Personally, I've never been a fan of those low cost extended range type zooms (Wide to telephoto). You tend to be paying more for the built in stabilization and USM then you are for their optical quality. It sounds like you've got your mid to wide angles covered so if you need a telephoto I'd highly recommend saving a little extra and getting the 70-200mm f4 L. It's roughly $100 more and delivers stunning IQ for the price. It's also quite small and light. If you carried one of these with your 18-55 you'd have a nice wide range without much weight. I know changing lenses is a bit of a pain, but in this case I think it would be a good trade off. Over time, maybe replace your 18-55 with the 17-55 f2.8 IS or 24-70 f4 IS L and you'll have a killer walk around kit!
This makes sense to me. I'll look into the 70-200 in question.

Keep the comments coming.
Puckman1 is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Jan 4, 2013, 08:26 AM   #5
Rowbear
macrumors 6502a
 
Join Date: Apr 2010
Location: Gatineau, PQ, Canada
Quote:
Originally Posted by kevinfulton.ca View Post
I'd highly recommend saving a little extra and getting the 70-200mm f4 L.
+1

Great optics, constant f/4 through the zoom range, and great resale value.
__________________
Robert
www.robertgravel.ca

If at first you don't succeed, skydiving is not for you
Rowbear is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Jan 4, 2013, 09:19 AM   #6
OreoCookie
macrumors 68020
 
Join Date: Apr 2001
Location: Fukuoka, Japan
I don't think the 28-135 mm is a good lens, quite the contrary, it's one of the weakest lenses in Canon's line-up. If you want a walk-around zoom lens, the 24-105 mm is a much better option. Regarding the 70-200 mm, I don't know why it has been suggested in this thread, it's certainly a very good lens, but due to its focal length, it's not a walk-around lens.
__________________
I don't suffer from insanity, I enjoy every minute of it.
OreoCookie is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Jan 4, 2013, 12:32 PM   #7
Bear
macrumors G3
 
Join Date: Jul 2002
Location: Sol III - Terra
Quote:
Originally Posted by OreoCookie View Post
I don't think the 28-135 mm is a good lens, quite the contrary, it's one of the weakest lenses in Canon's line-up. If you want a walk-around zoom lens, the 24-105 mm is a much better option. Regarding the 70-200 mm, I don't know why it has been suggested in this thread, it's certainly a very good lens, but due to its focal length, it's not a walk-around lens.
I think the 70-200 was mentioned because Puckman1 (original poster) mentioned wildlife.

In general 2 zoom lens are required to cover what Puckman1 said he likes to photograph. The 24-105 would cover most walking around. And something longer for the rest of it.
__________________
-----Bear
Bear is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Jan 3, 2013, 04:24 PM   #8
ocabj
macrumors 6502
 
Join Date: Jul 2009
Quote:
Originally Posted by Puckman1 View Post
Let's assume that the L price point is not for me (i'm not ok spending more than, say $750 for this walkaround lens).
You should be able to get a 24-105 f/4L IS used in mint condition for $700 or less. The prices have dropped quite a bit because the market is saturated with them (people buying 5D kits with 24-105 lenses and who are trying to sell them to get money back).

I actually picked one up a couple weeks ago off the Canon forums for $735 shipped, but if you check the forums, there are copies for for under $700.
ocabj is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Jan 3, 2013, 04:52 PM   #9
mono1980
macrumors 6502
 
Join Date: Feb 2005
Location: Lansing, MI
I owned the 28-135 for years, and while it's range is totally awesome, I was never thrilled with its image quality. Just my 2 cents.
mono1980 is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Jan 3, 2013, 04:55 PM   #10
Puckman1
Thread Starter
macrumors member
 
Join Date: Sep 2012
Quote:
Originally Posted by mono1980 View Post
I owned the 28-135 for years, and while it's range is totally awesome, I was never thrilled with its image quality. Just my 2 cents.
Good to know. And your recommendation instead for that usage?
Puckman1 is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Jan 3, 2013, 05:20 PM   #11
kevinfulton.ca
macrumors 6502
 
Join Date: Aug 2011
Quote:
Originally Posted by Puckman1 View Post
Good to know. And your recommendation instead for that usage?
Thought you might like this site. I visit it quite often when shopping for a new lens. Great reviews, comparisons, and recommendations that will satisfy the casual and uber-nerd equally. Enjoy!

http://www.the-digital-picture.com/Canon-Lenses/
__________________
13" White Macbook, 4 GB RAM, 500GB HD, 22" external monitor, 320 GB Firewire scratch disc, 2 TB partitioned expansion/backup HD; iPad 2, 64 GB, 3G; iPhone 4S, 16 GB.
kevinfulton.ca is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Jan 3, 2013, 05:46 PM   #12
Puckman1
Thread Starter
macrumors member
 
Join Date: Sep 2012
Quote:
Originally Posted by kevinfulton.ca View Post
Thought you might like this site. I visit it quite often when shopping for a new lens. Great reviews, comparisons, and recommendations that will satisfy the casual and uber-nerd equally. Enjoy!

http://www.the-digital-picture.com/Canon-Lenses/
Someone else recommended me that earlier today, so I'm reading that now. Thanks though!
Puckman1 is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Jan 8, 2013, 03:02 PM   #13
mono1980
macrumors 6502
 
Join Date: Feb 2005
Location: Lansing, MI
Quote:
Originally Posted by Puckman1 View Post
Good to know. And your recommendation instead for that usage?
I replaced mine with the 24-70mm 2.8 L. But of course, it doesn't give you quite the range, and comparatively it's very pricey.
mono1980 is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Jan 8, 2013, 04:45 PM   #14
Puckman1
Thread Starter
macrumors member
 
Join Date: Sep 2012
Thanks guys. I just caught up on this thread. I appreciate all the feedback and suggestions. I'll keep researching...
Puckman1 is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Jan 9, 2013, 11:45 AM   #15
NZed
macrumors 65816
 
NZed's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2011
Location: Canada, Eh?
im afraid 28 wouldnt be wide enough on a cropped body.

But if you had 10-22 and a 24-105, thats a better combo imo
__________________
Marty: Wait a minute, Doc. Are you telling me that you built a time machine, out of a DeLorean?
NZed is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Jan 9, 2013, 05:34 PM   #16
nateo200
macrumors 68030
 
nateo200's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2009
Location: NY State
You don't feel you have a walk around lens with a 28 1.8 and a 50 1.4? Damn...maybe your a bit too heavy on the zoom but I tend to gravitate towards primes for there sharper quality, although the 70-200 (if you get the right one) is tack sharp. I own the 35 2.0, 50 1.8 and the 85 1.8. I can honestly say I love the EF 85mm /1.8 USM because it is insane sharp but I wish I had grabbed the 100mm which is just as sharp (EF 100mm /2.0 USM) as I will be shooting both crop and full frame. My choice for my next lens will be either the 135mm /2L, 135mm /2.8 with soft focus, 200mm /2.8L, or one of the wonderful 70-200mm's. You could easily have a full set up with a 24-70 /4 and 70-200 /4...but I find that is only useful info for full frame/APS-H users who can jack up the ISO and stay clean...if your camera can't go past 6400 clean then I find the faster aperture 70-200's in the /2.8 range to be a must or better yet the even faster aperture primes like the 135mm /2L...


When I look at glass like this however, I begin to think about the need for a high quality camera body, theres no doubt I could take a fine picture with my 550D without the need for a 1D X or whatever but I always manage to take pictures in low light areas and the 550D and the rebel series just can't do what a 6D/5D Mk.II[I]/1D Mk.IV/1D X can do with low light...it just is a whole different level...not saying you need one of those bodies just something to keep in mind. Also consider buying only EF glass if you plan on upgrading to a full frame body as if your serious about photography you'll end up getting one eventually and be excited to mount all your lenses on your new camera.
__________________
-15" rMBP 2.4/8/256/650M, FCP X, AE CS5.5, PS CS6
-USB3 180GB SSD, Intensity Shuttle Thunderbolt
-iPhone 6 in Space Grey 128GB, Samsung Galaxy Note 8
-Canon 550D, GoPro3 Black
nateo200 is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Jan 9, 2013, 07:15 PM   #17
Puckman1
Thread Starter
macrumors member
 
Join Date: Sep 2012
Quote:
Originally Posted by nateo200 View Post
You don't feel you have a walk around lens with a 28 1.8 and a 50 1.4? Damn...maybe your a bit too heavy on the zoom but I tend to gravitate towards primes for there sharper quality, although the 70-200 (if you get the right one) is tack sharp. I own the 35 2.0, 50 1.8 and the 85 1.8. I can honestly say I love the EF 85mm /1.8 USM because it is insane sharp but I wish I had grabbed the 100mm which is just as sharp (EF 100mm /2.0 USM) as I will be shooting both crop and full frame. My choice for my next lens will be either the 135mm /2L, 135mm /2.8 with soft focus, 200mm /2.8L, or one of the wonderful 70-200mm's. You could easily have a full set up with a 24-70 /4 and 70-200 /4...but I find that is only useful info for full frame/APS-H users who can jack up the ISO and stay clean...if your camera can't go past 6400 clean then I find the faster aperture 70-200's in the /2.8 range to be a must or better yet the even faster aperture primes like the 135mm /2L...


When I look at glass like this however, I begin to think about the need for a high quality camera body, theres no doubt I could take a fine picture with my 550D without the need for a 1D X or whatever but I always manage to take pictures in low light areas and the 550D and the rebel series just can't do what a 6D/5D Mk.II[I]/1D Mk.IV/1D X can do with low light...it just is a whole different level...not saying you need one of those bodies just something to keep in mind. Also consider buying only EF glass if you plan on upgrading to a full frame body as if your serious about photography you'll end up getting one eventually and be excited to mount all your lenses on your new camera.
I think you misunderstood my post.
I love both the 28 and 50 primes.
But neither are ideal for walking around town with because
1) I'd have to change lenses during my walking around (defeats the point of walk-around lens).
2) 50 is not enough, even on a crop, to zoom in up close on certain things one might see while walking around.

Both primes are perfect for when I have my whole bag, tripod, etc. And don't mind setting up shop, swapping lenses, etc. Or at home.
But when I'm wandering around old town, or in a park, or at the zoo, or whathaveyou, I typically don't wanna carry bag and tripod. Nor do I wanna swap lenses. I wanna be able to zoom in to that bird on the tree (50mm is not enough), or that seagull on a rock outcropping, or alternatively, zoom out wide enough to take in, say, a view of the sunset from that restaurant patio I'm sitting at, etc.
That's what I mean by "walk around lens".

(Thanks for your input though. Appreciated).
Puckman1 is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Jan 9, 2013, 08:36 PM   #18
VirtualRain
macrumors 603
 
Join Date: Aug 2008
Location: Vancouver, BC
If you don't want to compromise on the wide end then the 15-85 is a top notch EFS lens with good quality, reasonable price and a good focal length range.

The 24-105L offers great image quality and build for a reasonable price but you give up the wide end. However, as someone mentioned you could compliment this nicely with the 10-22. I would never personally go this route as it would force too many lens changes for the type of shooting I do.

What I had on my crop was the 17-55 f2.8 and a 70-300 but I wasn't much of a street photographer... More travel photography, so the 17-55 was on my camera 95% of the time.
__________________
tools: nMP for photography, rMBP for working, iPad for surfing, iPhone for communicating, Mac Mini for entertaining
Canon tools: 5D Mark III 24-105L/70-300L/35L/50L/85L for capturing
VirtualRain is offline   0 Reply With Quote

Reply
MacRumors Forums > Special Interests > Visual Media > Digital Photography

Thread Tools Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search
Display Modes

Similar Threads
thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
Got a new Canon 70D with 18.135mm kit lens. Is a 35mm 14 L lens a worthy second lens? KimJonNumberUn Digital Photography 36 Mar 3, 2014 01:08 PM
Lens advice (My next lens) Puckman Digital Photography 35 Sep 10, 2013 08:16 PM
GH3 lens advice? Dornblaser Digital Video 0 Dec 13, 2012 07:11 PM
Lens selection advice 1.4 or 1.2? IKBest Digital Video 5 Dec 10, 2012 09:59 AM
Need lens advice...asap! rayjay86 Digital Photography 9 Aug 5, 2012 10:58 PM

Forum Jump

All times are GMT -5. The time now is 10:01 AM.

Mac Rumors | Mac | iPhone | iPhone Game Reviews | iPhone Apps

Mobile Version | Fixed | Fluid | Fluid HD
Copyright 2002-2013, MacRumors.com, LLC