Go Back   MacRumors Forums > News and Article Discussion > MacRumors.com News Discussion

Old Jan 3, 2013, 05:13 PM   #1
MacRumors
macrumors bot

Ashton Kutcher Movie 'jOBS' to Be Released in April

Open Road Films has announced that it is the distributor for the Ashton Kutcher-led film jOBS, and that the movie will receive a full release in April of this year, reports Deadline.

Quote:
Directed by Joshua Michael Stern, written by Matthew Whitely, shot by Oscar- winning cinematographer Russell Carpenter and produced by Mark Hulme, jOBS details the major moments and defining characters that influenced Steve Jobs on a daily basis from 1971 through 2000. jOBS plunges into the depths of his character, creating an intense dialogue-driven story that is as much a sweeping epic as it is an immensely personal portrait of Steve Jobs' life. The filmmakers were granted unprecedented access during shooting to the historic garage in Palo Alto, that served as the birthplace to Apple Inc. jOBS stars Ashton Kutcher, Dermot Mulroney, Josh Gad, Lukas Haas, J.K. Simmons and Matthew Modine. Inferno Entertainment is handling international sales on jOBS.
The film will premier at the Sundance Film Festival in Utah later this month.

Article Link: Ashton Kutcher Movie 'jOBS' to Be Released in April
MacRumors is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Jan 3, 2013, 05:15 PM   #2
sransari
macrumors 6502

Steve would feel punk'd, I reckon
iPad 4th Gen Retina, iFone 6+
sransari is offline   4 Reply With Quote
Old Jan 4, 2013, 02:43 PM   #3
Korican100
macrumors 6502

Quote:
Originally Posted by sransari View Post
Steve would feel punk'd, I reckon
post like yours make me miss the downvote buttons. SEVERELY

pls go
Korican100 is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Jan 4, 2013, 03:20 PM   #4
mrtravel123
macrumors regular

So, for all those who are complaining about Kutcher being the actor to play Jobs, I've noticed that most of you are NOT offering an alternative for Kutcher.

What amazing actor do you suggest?

No matter who you suggest, there will be masses of people who complain. Why? Because some people just like to complain and because this is a subjective issue anyway. Regardless of the actor chosen there will be complainers who aren't happy.

What I do like about Kutcher is that he DOES have passion, something that Jobs showed over and over again through the years. Kutcher has been on the forefront of investing in internet and product startups over the past 5-10 years AND Kutcher also loves Mac, Apple, etc. Thus, I am sure that he'll put a lot of effort into this role simply because I'm sure HE has respect for Jobs as a person and for what he accomplished professionally in technology.

Is Kutcher the most amazing actor? No. But, he is passionate, looks like Jobs AND is of the appropriate age for playing this part. Keep in mind that most "A" list actors are many years older in age - and I doubt that the younger actors would get any fewer complaints than Kutcher.

Like I said... if you're going to complain about Kutcher... offer an alternative that would be a better fit. Whoever you choose people will complain and whine.
mrtravel123 is offline   1 Reply With Quote
Old Jan 9, 2013, 01:33 PM   #5
sransari
macrumors 6502

Quote:
Originally Posted by Korican100 View Post
post like yours make me miss the downvote buttons. SEVERELY

pls go
sransari is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Jan 11, 2013, 08:57 AM   #6
Korican100
macrumors 6502

Quote:
Originally Posted by sransari View Post
im just kidding. Im jealous that you have the first post, so I took it out on you in the wrong way! I probably would have said the same thing.

Do you forgive me?
Korican100 is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Jan 11, 2013, 09:06 AM   #7
dxstewart
macrumors member

I'm just waiting on the trailer. A picture is nice, but I'm trying to see some video footage.
Old Jan 11, 2013, 03:06 PM   #8
sransari
macrumors 6502

Quote:
Originally Posted by Korican100 View Post
im just kidding. Im jealous that you have the first post, so I took it out on you in the wrong way! I probably would have said the same thing.

Do you forgive me?
i guess :/

i obvi wanted first post so my bad for having a n00b comment
sransari is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Jan 3, 2013, 05:16 PM   #9
ob81
macrumors 65816

Send a message via AIM to ob81 Send a message via MSN to ob81
More pub than Sony version

This version has gotten more publicity than the SONY film based on Jobs. Hoping that it turns out to be good. Reports were that Kutcher took the roll very serious.
Old Jan 3, 2013, 05:17 PM   #10
ArtOfWarfare
macrumors 603

Send a message via Skype™ to ArtOfWarfare
Movies I'm planning to see in theaters in 2013:
- jOBS
- Ender's Game
... is that all? Am I missing any? Is the Sony one expected to be any good?
Old Jan 3, 2013, 05:19 PM   #11
LimeiBook86
macrumors 604

Send a message via AIM to LimeiBook86 Send a message via MSN to LimeiBook86 Send a message via Yahoo to LimeiBook86
I still think it's a bit cheesy to have the lowercase j in the title, but that's just my opinion. We'll see how the actual film itself turns out to be. Truth be told I'm more interested in Sony's film however.
LimeiBook86 is offline   8 Reply With Quote
Old Jan 3, 2013, 05:19 PM   #12
rmwebs
Banned

Pathetic comments about the film being crap due to Ashton Kutcher in 3...2...1...

(for the record, when he needs to play a serious role, he does it pretty damn well)
rmwebs is offline   5 Reply With Quote
Old Jan 3, 2013, 06:10 PM   #13

Quote:
Originally Posted by rmwebs View Post
Pathetic comments about the film being crap due to Ashton Kutcher in 3...2...1...

(for the record, when he needs to play a serious role, he does it pretty damn well)
Indeed. Comments are not pathetic; HE IS pathetic.

----------

Quote:
Originally Posted by brasscat View Post
I'm looking forward to seeing another quality Ashton Kutcher film. He's always in total winners.
Your mastery of irony is really impressive, congrats!

----------

Quote:
Originally Posted by OlMighty View Post
Still a stupid name - it could at least have been iJobs

Or iSteve.
Just a stupid name for a stupid actor; no surprises here.
50548 is offline   4 Reply With Quote
Old Jan 4, 2013, 04:52 PM   #14
Lark.Landon
macrumors 6502

Quote fail.
Lark.Landon is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Jan 3, 2013, 07:39 PM   #15
applebook
macrumors 6502a

Quote:

I actually find him quite funny in goofy roles. In serious films...a joke...really...
Old Jan 4, 2013, 04:14 AM   #16
pipa
macrumors regular

Quote:

This. Based on the photo you can tell he was a damn good choice to play him and I can bet that he smacks it out of the park. To be making 20mil a year plus your doing something right.
pipa is offline   1 Reply With Quote
Old Jan 4, 2013, 04:37 AM   #17
Ballis
macrumors 6502

I agree. He looks just like him. And saying Ashton cant act is just crazy.
Ballis is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Jan 4, 2013, 06:40 AM   #18
ProVideo
macrumors 6502

Quote:

If this was a Paul Thomas Anderson film, I would look forward to him bringing a great performance from a subpar actor like he has done in the past.

Looking at the credits though, it appears to be mediocrity from pre-production to post. This just looks like a money grab and an attempt to get a biographical film out before the authorized version and while the Jobs hype is still somewhat fresh after his death. The fact that "jOBS" got approval as the title should be another indicator of it's overall quality. If Steve thought "iSteve" was a crappy book title, I can only imagine his reaction to this nonsensical stylization.

I imagine many of the members here will sing it's praises when it's released. After a year or two to digest it though, and after the authorized film is released, people will likely see it as being insanely average in hindsight, if not the s-word that Jobs liked to use.
ProVideo is offline   1 Reply With Quote
Old Jan 4, 2013, 05:07 PM   #19
Lark.Landon
macrumors 6502

Quote:
Originally Posted by ProVideo View Post
If this was a Paul Thomas Anderson film, I would look forward to him bringing a great performance from a subpar actor like he has done in the past.

Looking at the credits though, it appears to be mediocrity from pre-production to post. This just looks like a money grab and an attempt to get a biographical film out before the authorized version and while the Jobs hype is still somewhat fresh after his death. The fact that "jOBS" got approval as the title should be another indicator of it's overall quality. If Steve thought "iSteve" was a crappy book title, I can only imagine his reaction to this nonsensical stylization.

I imagine many of the members here will sing it's praises when it's released. After a year or two to digest it though, and after the authorized film is released, people will likely see it as being insanely average in hindsight, if not the s-word that Jobs liked to use.

Blah blah blah. All speculation.

----------

Quote:
Originally Posted by buxtone17 View Post
Ashton Kutcher has never acted in a movie that was certified "fresh" on Rotten Tomatoes. He's been in 24 movies and none of them have scored higher than 49%, with 11 of them receiving a score of 25% or lower.

Oh, and he's in that sitcom now. Two and a Half Men. I've never watched it, but I've heard it's terrible. Here's a sampling of titles from recent episodes: "Give Santa a Tail-Hole", "One Nut Johnson", "I Scream When I Pee", "Ferrets, Attack!" and "Oh Look! Al-Qaeda!"

Also, what "serious roles" has Kutcher done "pretty damn well"?
Lol. Rotten tomatoes. Nuff' said.
Lark.Landon is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Jan 4, 2013, 12:29 PM   #20
buxtone17
macrumors regular

Quote:

Ashton Kutcher has never acted in a movie that was certified "fresh" on Rotten Tomatoes. He's been in 24 movies and none of them have scored higher than 49%, with 11 of them receiving a score of 25% or lower.

Oh, and he's in that sitcom now. Two and a Half Men. I've never watched it, but I've heard it's terrible. Here's a sampling of titles from recent episodes: "Give Santa a Tail-Hole", "One Nut Johnson", "I Scream When I Pee", "Ferrets, Attack!" and "Oh Look! Al-Qaeda!"

buxtone17 is offline   1 Reply With Quote
Old Jan 4, 2013, 12:43 PM   #21
GreyFoxx
macrumors newbie

Really looking forward to this.
GreyFoxx is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Jan 4, 2013, 05:10 PM   #22
rmwebs
Banned

Quote:

The fact that you quoted Rotten Tomato just shows the kind of mentality you have over this.

Your logic: "He's focused mainly on comedy roles. That means he'll suck big time at everything else - its physically impossible for him to not suck because its this guy". If I didn't know better I'd say you were trying to follow the sheep and just say he's crap "because he is".

Also, serious roles:
- The Butterfly Effect
- The Guardian
- Personal Effects

As I said, just because an actor hasn't been in a huge number of roles of a specific genre, how the hell does that immediately indicate that they MUST suck at it?

(Oh and dont read reviews from critics and take them seriously - they are called critics for a reason )
rmwebs is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Jan 4, 2013, 08:51 PM   #23
twigman08
macrumors 6502

Quote:
Ashton Kutcher has never acted in a movie that was certified "fresh" on Rotten Tomatoes.
That's all I read. As soon you said Rotten Tomatoes I quit reading. Just about any movie they say that is "tasteless" the audience (the real critics the one that brings the movie in money) ends liking the film a lot more.

Butteryfly Effect got a 33% from Rotten Tomatoes (I laughed and have even less respect for them after seeing that). The Audience liked it and it has a 81%. Butterfly Effect is not an amazing movie but it is a very good movie and Ashton Kutcher did a great job in it.

Plus I never understood whining about what actors a movie uses. You could name some other actor their would be just as many people saying "ugh why did they choice this person? Should have chosen someone else!"
twigman08 is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Jan 7, 2013, 12:15 PM   #24
Liquorpuki
macrumors 68020

Quote:

Butterfly Effect, which should be way higher than 33%. Look how audience approval is 80%. Meanwhile you got movies like Mystery Men (one of the worst movies I've ever seen in a theatre), ranked as fresh by critics, while the audience hates it. Critics are wierd

Ashton Kutcher is one of those actors who's annoying because the roles he's typecast in are annoying. But once in a while he'll get a dramatic role that shows what he can do. He's like Anthony Anderson - people hated him then all of a sudden he's on the Shield and people realize he can act. Or how Mo'nique was annoying before she did Precious and won a ton of awards.
Old Jan 4, 2013, 07:50 AM   #25
STiNG Operation
macrumors 6502a

Quote:
Originally Posted by ArtOfWarfare View Post
Movies I'm planning to see in theaters in 2013:
- jOBS
- Ender's Game
... is that all? Am I missing any? Is the Sony one expected to be any good?
Man you can't forget about Iron Man 3!

MacRumors Forums > News and Article Discussion > MacRumors.com News Discussion